NiteRider UltraFazer Max Lights

UltraFazer Max

3 light levels (high, low, and flash modes) WaterproofTo 50 meters Can operate on alkaline (included) or rechargable NiMh batteries Fits both standard and oversize bars

A K Rider   Weekend Warrior [Sep 21, 2008]
Strength:

Good beam pattern

None so far

I bought this light as an addition to my Niterider Minewt X2.
I mount the Minewt to my helmet for better light beam maneuverability.
The UltraFazer Max is mounted to my handlebars.

The Minewt X2 does a great job all by itself. I highly recommend it. But, I wanted another light for coverage closer to the front wheel where there is a void when aiming the X2 further out.

When I ride my road bike I have to scan near and far in fast dark sections when using only the X2. Mountain bikes are so much slower, {yeah, you heard me}, even with ‘skinny’ road tires, that it isn’t really an issue. It’s hard to outrun a good beam on a mountain bike.
Still it is nice to have the extra light on one anyway.

The UltraFazer Max is a really bright light for a small AA battery unit. You could actually use it for a main light. You wouldn’t want to go very fast with it but is definitely puts out a lot of light.

The beam pattern is very good. It has a nice tight spot coupled with a good corona, lots of ambient light, enough to illuminate sides of a trail.

Niterider really does a good job with it’s beam patterns.

If you really want a powerful light for commuting or trail riding, spend the money and get a unit made for that. If you want a secondary light to complement your main one, the UltraFazer Max is a great choice. If you can only afford a small light with flasher capability, the UltraFazer is better than any other light I’ve seen. The PlanetBike Blaze 1W is a close second but it doesn’t have as good of a beam pattern. Plus, it’s bigger and WHITE. {What were they thinking?}

A friend of mine has the same X2 setup on his helmet. He bought a Cateye HL-EL530 for his secondary light. This light used 4AA’s instead of 2 and is rated brighter than the UltraFazer Max. In a side by side comparison, the Niterider was at least as bright, if not BRIGHTER, had a better beam pattern, and is much smaller. Oh yeah, the Niterider is specifically made to use rechargeable batteries. The Cateye and all others is not. Of course you can use alkaline in it too.

I did a lot of comparison shopping before deciding on this unit. I’m glad I did.

Similar Products Used: Many many cateye products
single and tracking   Weekend Warrior [Aug 27, 2007]
Strength:

Compact, waterproof???

Not as bright as my cheap standard LED light which has a much, much better battery life.

Fresh batteries installed, turned off all the light (9:30 PM) and turned on the NR Max; nice light reflector. Back to dark for a minute then I turned on the Planet Bike SuperSpot, the PB is so much brighter. The irony is that the SuperSpot is only a standard LED using the same AA battery with 90 hours of life compare to the MAX with only 3 hours of life. The MAX is almost twice as expensive. Disappointed.

Similar Products Used: Planet Bike SuperSpot
DoctorLove   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2007]
Strength:

VERY bright for a cute lil' AA powererd flashlight. Great for city and suburban commuting. Can be used as a stand-alone light for commuting as long as there is some ambient light around (streelights, moonlight, etc).

As before, it ain't no HID. Don't expect to do any real trail riding with it.

This is an update to my previous post. Something was switched around with scoring on the last one. To make it clear:

5 Flaming nuggets overall, given its brightness vs. size.
3 to 4 goobers for value, since you can get a full rechargeable system (brighter but much larger) for a few bucks more.

Get this light if you need a SMALL, Bright(ish) commuting light that is easy to store/install/remove.

Similar Products Used: Cateye 3 LED HL320, Niterider digital headtrip.
Doctor Love   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2007]
Strength:

Darn bright for a single LED lamp. The lens creates a nice even spot beam, with a little bit of peripheral flood effect. Significantly brighter than my other Cateye 3 LED commuter light. The clamp is easy to install, and allows the light to be angled to the side (in case your bar has a bend where you plan on installing it).

It ain't no HID. I almost want a bit more of a flood pattern vs. a bright spot beam.

Probably the best single box commuting light in its class. Very bright for a AA powered lil' flashlight (note, it is smaller and less clunky looking than the photo makes it appear to be). With a single lamp, it allows you to be seen from quite a ways away, and is bright enough for high speed road commuting. Perhaps usable for trail riding if you had some other sort of flood light, but this will NOT replace a full-on rechargeable lighting system. The 3 flaming poos for value was given since you can get an entry level system for just another 30 or 40 bucks.

Similar Products Used: Cateye HL320, really old Niterider Digital Headtrip.
Lawrence Lee   Weekend Warrior [Oct 20, 2007]
Strength:

Pure white light. bright and incredibly tiny. Light weight. Simple bar mount installation. Simple contruction. Ruggedly made. Niterider technical support is great. Supports NiMH Batteries. Performs well with only 2 AA cells.

Clamp ring is thin flexible and more likely to break. Expensive compared to other lights but bright.

Bought this pup as a backup like to my Niterider MiNewt Dual. Niterider claims it puts out 70 lumens, the same as my MiNewt In a side by side test I'd say its weaker than the MiNewt, but not by much. More bluish cast to the beam. Beam is tight with a wide even peripheral corona that should do well for an average commuter. Plastic lens and reflector are thin

Its kind of expensive but well made. Its waterproof to 50 meters (overkill). Because of this it uses a magnetic on/off switch. This is a likely a feature from their underwater lights that they have obviously adapted to this pup. So a strong magnet can turn it on if it gets to close to the housing.

Uses a 1 watt Luxeon which are the most renoun (and likely most expensive) LEDs available. I called Niterider to ask how they dissipate all that heat and the tech I spoke to didn't have a clue. I discovered that underneath the front cap is a large heat sink which does get hot on the high setting. Again this is like an underwater light. The outside of the plastic housing feels lukewarm to the touch after a long burn. In practice the light burns for longer than advertized but reverts to the low setting for brightness.

The battery life is adequate for a backup light, but for regular use you'd want to get some NiMH rechargeables. That's where this light really shines (pun intended). With NiMH cells it is brighter for longer than with Alkaline batteries. According to Niterider its the only 2 cell high wattage LED headlight that's designed for NiMH. From my cursory search this appears to be true.

alkalines in general don't work well in high current applications such as digital camera and high wattage lights. Because of the high current draw alkalines are damaged by the current load before they can deliver their rated power. So if you going to use this puppy regularly, use it as intended: with rechargeables.

In my application as a backup light I will load it with alkalines since it will only see usage if I ever have a failure of my main light. It will live in my seatpost bag. For me its perfect. Its extremely small. It runs on the same cell type as my other bike lights so I can scavenge the other batteries in an emergency.

For my purposes as a backup light It fits the bill nicely and I'm confident it'll work when I need it. If you use this light as a backup it'll be a good idea to but a piece of tape across the switch to prevent an accidental turn on in your bag.

Highly Recommended

Similar Products Used: Planet Bike Blaze, Superspot. Cateye ad naseum. Vistalite Nitestick. Niterider MiNewt Dual.