NiteRider CherryBomb Lights

NiteRider CherryBomb Lights

For much of night riding, the key to survival is not only seeing but also being seen, the CherryBomb addresses the latter. By incorporating a unique multi-directional collimator specifically designed for cycling, the CherryBomb maximizes visibility by dispersing light to the sides of the rider as well as to the rear, effectively eliminating blind spots to upcoming automobiles. To further rider safety and visibility, the CherryBomb employs a custom made, built in reflector which allows the rider to be night time visible even when the taillight is in the off position. Clip and bike mounts are included, for flexible mounting options

[Mar 21, 2016]
Carl Wiggins

Strength:

Good red rear light attaches easily to a light mount on my small seat bag Worked great for 2 years including a daily rides going from Vancouver to Tijuana in 30 days 1900 miles

All of sudden it stoped working No apparent damageWith new batteries it would only blink 1-2 blinks Tried again same thing After several tries no blinks at all Tried different batteries, and no blinks

Disappointed but I bought another NR light Seems good

[Oct 02, 2014]
Alec

Strength:

The prolonged brightness and direction of the beam.

Some of the .5 watt models pre 2011 did indeed have inadequate mounts that couldn't hold the light with road bike wheels going ~20mph over asphalt bumps. That can be fixed with tape shims/lashings.

The 3 mode .5 watt model, at a certain point of battery discharge, it goes from blinding, at like 45° from the center of the beam in all directions, to zero brightness.

The old .5 watt ones were great.

[Dec 02, 2011]
cs8sz

Strength:

Very bright indeed!

The bracket is total rubbish!

This is a review of the 1 watt version.

The bracket supplied with this version is total rubbish! It is different from the normal 0.5 Watt version, no matter how tight you crank it up, the light rotates down as the ratchet can't hold it and also the light rotates. I have sent Niterider an email but to no avial. I am currently trying glue!

The light is brilliant but I would get the 0.5 watt version with the netter bracket design.

Cateye

[Aug 09, 2010]
taintpretty

Strength:

Very bright and if angled properly you can blind the rider coming up behind you. When we hit the roads I take p the rear knowing the cars cannot miss the blinking patern. Other riders have asked about it and I feel far safer knowing it is there. Battery life is good but I only use the flashing mode.

Has to be mounted on the seatpost. If you clip it onto a CamelBak and the angle is wrong it is not very effective. Wish the bracket was better but if you are lucky it will survive.

Don't skimp a few dollars getting a cheaper light. If you ride the trails with it get some duct tape to secure it. I have never had an issue with in on the road.

[Nov 27, 2009]
Miles Johnson

Strength:

Very bright, and light, really can be seen from far away

Button is sometimes hard to press, and the mount IS flimsy, and cracked off and off went the light and shattered into pieces as I flew down a hill.

Hmmmm, this bright light is great, but somehow the mount needs to be more sturdy.

[Nov 25, 2009]
maxsweet

Strength:

Brightness & visibility.

Needs an "engineered" solution to hold it together for rough terrain.

When I first saw this light @ REI I about blinded myself when I turned it on. Nothing else on their rack 'o lights even compared to this light's sheer brightness. I knew immediately that it was the light for me as I commute every morning & night in pitch black darkness for nearly six months of the year in Anchorage, Alaska. The land of the midnight sun is anything but in the winter. Anyway, the light is retina-searing bright and obnoxiously flashy. Perfect for visibility. Other reviewers have noted that it easily separates over normal bumps. Based on its construction I agree. It’s held together simply by friction. A good bump looks like it will cause it come apart so I “engineered” what I think is a workable solution. I cut a thin strip of double-sided sticky foam and placed in between the 2 AAA batteries. After snapping the case on I’ve found it much more difficult to separate the back from the rest of the light. In fact, after my fix when pulling the light apart the batteries actually stuck to the inside of the case. The friction that holds the batteries in place is greater than the friction keeping the case together. I feel reasonably confident that this fix will keep the pieces together over most terrain. Your mileage may vary. Some reviewers noted the light can only be mounted in the vertical position; I found this to be untrue. If using the seatpost mount, simply turn the light 90 degrees for a horizontal configuration.

Sigma Cube Rider II

[Sep 24, 2009]
lockon

Strength:

Very bright, good pattern, nice compact package and durable

Came off mount when clipped over saddle pack hook, could have had better mount.

Nice Small light, Very bright in either of its two modes, strong when dropped at high speed, lots of light, lasts ages and a pretty reasonable price highly recommended.

generic tail lights

[Jun 02, 2009]
Marvin

Strength:

Excellent light very bright. Cars notice. I feel safer with it. Better than bike planet and Vista

Belt Clip is shakey in mount
Major problem is it only comes with a seat post mounting and you cant mount it on a seat stay (in any way that makes sense). All the other blinkeys I own come with a seat stay moutning for the narrow tube. When Nite Rider corrects that situation they will have the best light on the market at this time!

Good but the seat stay mounting should be included or at least available.

Cat Eye 1000 Bike Planet, Vista.

[Feb 28, 2009]
mds

Strength:

Brightness

Switch, Mount

Brightness and battery life similar to other blinkys in the price range. Switch works intermittently. Mount is not strong enough to hold light in a stable position on bumpy roads. Rate 2 stars because mount compromises performance during normal use.

Many similar blinkys

[Feb 18, 2009]
Kahu

Strength:

Bright, Highly Visible.

mount seems kind of flimsy

Not much first hand experience with the cherrybomb to be found online yet, so I had to test it out in the store before I bought it. Compared it with the Planet Bike Superflash in the store and the cherrybomb is equally bright (1/2watt led strobe) and has a wider beam pattern. I had a friend hold them both up from the middle of the store and as I walked from side to side the cherrybomb was consistently bright while the planet bike superflash faded. Both are really bright and awesome lights, but the cherrybomb beat it out in my opinion.

Planet Bike super flash