Nightsun Team Issue Lights

• Mounting System: long arm quick release

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 20, 2005]
    Peter

Strength:

Runtime, quality construction

NiCad battery technology, mounting strap failure

I've used this light for almost 10 years. It's been with me riding in north and middle Georgia to Florida. The original battery (amazingly) still has about 60% capacity; and the bulbs still burn as bright as when I purchased the light. If I were to approximate time used, it would be around 250-300 hours. Albeit, I've grown into a sedentary lifestyle and mountain biking has drifted into memory, the NightSun Team Issue is still up for any impromptu night rides I can muster. Kudos goes to NightSun for constructing a quality product with excellent long-term use.

[Nov 21, 2006]
    Lou

Strength:

Simple to mount, Tough design, Bright light, run times at 2 plus hours..A good price & good value.

Changing bulbs can be trickey.

I have used the Nightsun Team Issue Dual Beam lamp for 10 years. I am on my original set & I finally after 10 years have to replace the battery. I have gone thru 2 sets of bulbs which can be a little trickey to change but you have to realize that I have had these lamps for 10 years. For the price of the battery I will probably just buy a new set though I could get away with just a battery. I can not complain at all about these lights. Having them for 10 yrs. they owe me absolutely nothing. I am sure there may be better lamps out there but for my money you can't go wrong with Nightsun. If you're thinking about getting them just do it! I highly recommend these lights.

[Apr 05, 2004]
    G M

Strength:

Well made, outstanding reliability

Battery connectors could be better, but I've had no operational problems with them

I bought my first Team Issue light about 8 years ago & it still works. I've replaced one bulb one time & the battery croaked years ago. Actually, the charger failed first & I called to buy a new charger & was told that the charger died because the battery was 5 years old & was bad.

I was told that a new battery & charger was about $150, but that they offered a special deal for previous owners & would sell me a new Team Issue system for $150 which I thought was reasonable. So, having two bikes, I bought a new Team Issue system. That system is at least 3 years old today & has worked flawlessly. The battery is thus far still good.

I did detect a little of the sarcasm in the voice of the Nightsun person I called regarding my old battery & charger, but I was friendly & the other guy offered to make me a better deal on a new unit. All in all, the lights have been excellent performers & I would probably buy from them again. Their HID light looks tempting.

For my older light, I bought a $15 rechargeable 12 volt sealed lead acid battery from Home Depot used for emergency exit signs & a $5 under seat bag from Academy to cary it in. The battery weighs about the same as the water bottle battery & is about the size of 2 packs of cigarettes. Its a 5 Amp-hour battery & works great. I charge it with a $5 12 volt 300ma power supply from Radio Shack. I reused the original battery cable from the old battery.

Cateye

[Nov 10, 2002]
    Pete

Strength:

Bright! Bright! Bright! Relatively inexpensive.

Electrical connections are not dependable - light(s) tend to blink off during rough conditions. I use it for commuting, so I've been able to get by with it.

Not dependable enough to justify either buying another Nitesun or recommending this brand to another.

[Dec 12, 2002]
    Stephan

Strength:

Bright, good beam pattern

Expensive, Not weatherproof, replacement parts are expensive, battery and connectors are poorly constructed, charger didn't last a year.

The battery on this light didn't last long. I used it for about a year In Alaska before the battery filled with water and corroded the connections and the battery cells. The Molex connections are cheap and not weather resistant at all. I replaced them about 6 times since I've owned the light. The bulbs last quite a while, but are expensive to replace. The high/low beam toggle switch also had corrosion problems and had to be replaced. The mounts for the light and switch are a joke, they're pretty much just cable clamps. I wouldn't but another NightSun product unless I lived in an area where it never rained.