Magicshine MJ-872 Lights

• Up to 120 minutes run-time at 100% brightness
  • 3.5 - 4 hour battery recharge time

• User Reviews (7)

tekkamaki   [Oct 21, 2013]
    Strength:

Bright! decent flood pattern. fair price. good on on/off mode switch. cheap backup batteries available on ebay and amazon

More expensive then clones

I use this light on the bars along with an 808 clone on the helmet- have 3 seasons use now. This light is favorable to the clone lights I have seen (my son uses a tri-clone)
    I have no regrets on this purchase. Good to have at least one reliable light at night as the clone lights are less reliable.
    My battery died after leaving plugged in over the summer- replaced with some $15 chinese batteries off ebay - I always carry a spare battery as these are not as good as the Magicshine batteries.

ryanbac   Cross Country Rider [Jan 03, 2012]
    Strength:

Bright lamp - flood pattern w/o hotspots. Would like to add a spot light lamp in the future but this light is powerful enough.

I use the small O-ring and do not have any problems with slippage.

It's a great light. Bright enough for me to ride single track. Really happy with GeoMan - they answered a presales email within a couple of hours. Received the light in the mail the next day (I do live in the same state as it shipped from - AZ)

TwoHeadsBrewing   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2011]
    Strength:

Very bright flood light, perfect for the bars. Relatively small size. Included battery is built in the USA.

Heat dissipation of 1600 lumens is not great for low speed riding at higher temps. Rubber O-ring mount can slip around on smooth bars. Very little throw, if that's what you're after.

This is a great deal for the amount of light and runtime you get. I bought the $180 package which comes with the bigger 6.0Ah battery. The 4.5Ah battery package is $150, but will only run on high for 1.5 hours.

The beam pattern is VERY floody, but with no throw and doesn't go far down the trail. The beam pattern is very wide and bright and makes a nice 20ft x 50ft in front of the bike. I've paired it with my old MJ-808 P7, which has a spot pattern. This is a great combo which enables me to ride fast downhill trails and I don't feel the need to slow down due to lack of light.

The only thing I don't care for on this light, or any of the Magicshine lights is the O-ring mount. It's just fine if you have textured/shot peened bars. However, I got some smooth finish bars and on the rough downhills the light head will bounce around and move a bit. To fix this, I purchased a mounting bracket from BikeEmpowerment.com. It is an aluminum solid mount that screws into the base of the light head, and then clamps onto the handlebars. This completely solves the problem, and provides a very solid and secure mount.

I have not noticed any heat issues yet, but many reviews and users have reported this is an issue when running on high at slow speeds in temps > 80F. Probably will never be an issue for me, as it is cooler than that at night around here.

Similar Products Used: MJ-808
    MTBRGene   Cross Country Rider [Sep 22, 2011]
    Strength:

Super bright, with easy adjustment up or down. And no hideous flash mode. Battery and light stay in place. Can turn on either on low or high, depending on which button you push. Battery is a quarter the size and weight of Halogen lights battery.

First battery didn't last one hour. Causes temporary blindness if looked at directly.

Great light for the price. Not as bright as the 1600 claimed lumens, but still outrageously bright and makes a perfect bar light companion to the MJ-808E on my helment. There are 4 brightness settings, I have been running mostly between 2 and 3, and crank it up to 4 when bombing fast downhills.

I'd like to give a big plug for Brightstone Sports (www.brightstonesports.com - and no, I don't work for them or have any affiliations with them). I bought my 808E from DealExtreme - which took about 2 weeks to arrive from Hong Kong. I've heard customer service from DX is marginal at best, although I've not had to deal with them yet. When I decided to get a new bar light, I ran across Brightstonesports.com and saw their price was within a few dollars of DX and shipped from here in the states (NC). I ordered on Friday around noon, the light was shipped USPS Priority and was at my door before noon on Monday (YMMV). I used the light for a few rides and found the battery didn't live up to it's 120 minutes on high billing. A quick email to Brightstone and Lindsay wrote me back within a couple hours with an RMA number. I replied back that since they were swapping the battery, can I upgrade to the 5600 mAh battery (that I debated getting the first place) for the $20 difference. Sure enough, she replied no problem. I sent them the $20 by paypal, along with the tracking number of the defective battery and within an hour, I had a tracking number of the shipped out replacement battery! Talk about great service and super fast! If you are in the market for a Magicshine light set, I'd give these guys a look.

Similar Products Used: MJ-808E, JetLites Halogen, NightHawk (yeah, the one with the 5 lb SLA battery)
    Carax   Cross Country Rider [Sep 19, 2011]
    Strength:

Very bright flood. Outshines most of the lights used by my mates that cost far more.
    Switch for light outputs works well.

Rubber band mounting bounces the light beam about a bit.

Retired my home made set up as I could not match the fire power of my riding companions - well pleased with the Magicshine - time will tell if it proves reliable.

Similar Products Used: Home brew Halogen and LEDs
    lrbrent   Cross Country Rider [Aug 30, 2011]
    Strength:

This is a great flood light. It puts out lots of light with no hot spot

The light head uses a rubber band to attach to the handlebar. I modified the head and replaced the rubber band mount with a Cygolite Quick Release Handlebar Bracket Part # 08-2213HM. It comes with the bracket plate. Unscrew the rubber band mount and reuse the screw on the Cygolite bracket plate. Its a more secure mount.

Great light at a great price. I would highly recommend this light to anybody looking for a great bright floodlight.