Magicshine MJ-808 Lights

Magicshine MJ-808 Lights

The Magicshine MJ-808 bicycle light is the cheapest high power bike light available in the UK. At 900 lumens, the P7 LED bike light is brighter than a car headlight and 20 times brighter than ordinary bike lights. Turning night into day, it allows you to ride as quickly at night as during the day, as our reviews testify! Easily mounted to your bike in less than a minute, the lighthead offers you a choice of power mode including an SOS flashing mode. The clicky switch at the rear of the head also contains colour coded LEDs which change colour from green, to blue, to yellow, finally turning red when you run dangerously low on power. Then it'squos time to select the 'get me home' power mode using minimal power to ensure you reach your destination in safety.

[Dec 21, 2014]
Skyraider59

Strength:

Not applicable, as not tried, my posting is just to point out a price correction

Not tried so can not comment on how the light is! I was not able to post my comment unless I left some rating, so I left 3 chillies on both to get as close as I can get to neutral!
What I would like to point out is the the light in the UK retails now at £89.95 which is $140 which is for what I understand to be the XM-L version and not the original P7.
I managed to find one selling it for £75.95, equivalent to $118 but equipped with the older P7
You can of course buy them cheaper direct from Chinese website withe usual risks: custom duty, delays and oversea Limited warranty, you pay your money and you take your chances!

[Jan 30, 2013]
Eric Anderson

Strength:

Extremely bright.

Narrow pattern.

Took foul-mouthed Eddie's advice (why is it considered cool to uses profane words we thought were cool when we were ten?) and bought mine from Dino Direct. Used it five times in just over a month and now the switch doesn't work at all. Light comes on when I connect to the battery--goes off when I disconnect. Bought another unit for my daughter's boyfriend (before first one malfunctioned) and this light came with a charger that is for European outlets! Can't even charge the battery!!

[Jan 11, 2013]
Burned Cookie

Strength:

Strong and initially good light. Easy attachment on the bike helmet, came with hold for the bike handle as well, as well as the (uncomfortable) head strap.

Dangerous: no warning of low battery. Overheating. Short battery life and unacceptably short battery life after a while. For the quality, not woth a single cent.

Dangerous: no warning that the battery is low. For a moment, you are blind when the light goes off. This caused some falls, until I started using much better light of another producer (and also much pricier) with a warning for more risky activities. The battery life fades away very fast. For a season, it was at about 2 hours. After the summer, when the kit was resting, the light would not be turned on at max light for more than 5 minutes - apparently due to overheating (another weakness!). Then, again, it switches off without warning. Lovely! Not much else to do, I started using it on lowest possible level. This level lasted only for less than an hour, which is shorter than my daily bike commute. If anyone needs a spare battery that lasts less than an hour, here is mine for free (but you need to cover the postage). All in all, I used this for 1.5 winters. Not worth it. Opt for more quality, as it will last longer and you wont pollute the environment with batteries. If you ever rely on this light, have a light spare lamp in your pocket (like Tikka XP2, my favorite) and never ever use it while skiing downill or cycling on a busy road at night. Remember, your safety is worth a bit more investment than saving on a light, opting for one that goes off at whenever!

[Jan 10, 2013]
Joe Clifford
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Light.

Strong.

The 808U is now 1100 lumens so a nice little brightness boost.

828 Digital battery is very useful.

Cheap

Not as bright as my mate 880u but half the price!

After having the original 808 for almost 3 years, it finally gave way after taking a big tumble. I bent my Renthal handlebars so I can't blame the 3 year old light for giving way. After much debating and reading up I ended up with another 808 but this time the 'U' version (MJ-808U) which is rated at 1100 lumens. It's definitely brighter than my old one. It has the same construction as the previous one and if it lasts as long I will be very happy.

I got mine on recommendation from the guys at www.bikelumen.co.uk and it arrived next day!

They ship it standard with the 828 digital battery which has a much better mounting system and also it tells you exactly how much juice you've got in the battery.

So far I'm happy!

Regular 808, Old Hope and Cateye lights.

[Jan 03, 2013]
FSR_Dude

Strength:

Inexpensive price, very bright per lumens, small size, simplicity, battery life has been about 3 hours on full charge at max. power.

Originally had issues with the China-made battery, however GeoMan Gear replaced their batteries with a U.S.-made one, which is of better quality/safety. The light spray is pretty good, but I think could be a little wider for trail safety. As MTBR iterated, this light does not put out 900 lumens, but more like 650-700, depending on your individual light -- so, some variance. However, again, for the price, this light is very hard to beat.

This light is bright enough to use for pretty much any riding conditions, unless you ride extremely fast and need more power and a wider light spray. The battery life is good, and the light system is very easy to use. The rubber gaskets work fine to secure the light on your handlebar, top tube, or with the add'l extension on your seat tube. I use one light on my bars, and one on my helmet, and this is plenty enough light for me. As my friend always says, you can never have enough lights for night riding, and I agree.

[Nov 05, 2012]
Andrew

Strength:

It's really bright compared to ordinary lights.

It's terrible, I have not misused it. To be exact, I used mine 3 times only and now it doesn't work anymore.

Don't buy it.

The setting of this bulb is High - Low - Blink (High) - OFF. So if you're riding at night and someone passes by, out of courtesy, I put it on the low setting, but if you want to put it back on high, you have to turn your lights to blink then off before you can light it up again. It's not practical.

[Oct 31, 2012]
Virginia Sybert

Strength:

fabulous light. Can see everything and price point would be terrific if it held up

I have NOT misused this light and I have had to replace it once because of problems with cable from light and now, after less than a month of minimal use, the cable is again not working and light will light but goes out with slightest movement. Company says due to mishandling (not) or to repetitive use (also not, but repetitive use is how a light is used! What, only take it out on bank holidays? Very very disappointed.

Absolutely not reliable

[Oct 30, 2012]
burtronix

Strength:

This is for the 2013 model MJ-808U.
-Very bright in a light weight package.
-Nice light pattern with a very bright spot surrounded by a wide even flood. This is done with a single LED & a single reflector, but the reflector has an orange-peel pattern to difuse the flood.
-Good color, almost yellow compared to older MagicShine models (they have a slight bluish or purple cast), but looks pure white on it's own.
-Glowing colors on the light switch indicate remaining charge: green 100-75%, blue 75-50%, yellow 50-30%, red 30-5%, flashing red <5%.
-O-ring handlebar mount is light weight, simple, & secure.
-3 hours to charge gives 3 hours of full-power light, longer usage on lower power settings.
-3 power levels to choose from.
-Light weight powerful battery package, mounts with velcro to bar, stem, or frame.
-Lots of available accessories. I'll probably be buying a helmet mount soon.
-Costs about half compared to lights with similar power & features.
-1100 rated lumens in the 2013 model. Previous 808 models were 800-1000 lumens. In use I don't see a big difference compared to my friends' older models, but this only cost a couple bucks more.

-No strobe mode. If you want a flashing light, get one of the older MagicShine models. I don't need it.
-Remote handle-bar switch accessory does not work with this model - only available with one of the mult-light kits. This would be nice in combination with the helmet mount.
-The handle-bar mount does not swivel, so the light aims slightly to the side. A swivel would have been heavier & more expensive, so this in an acceptable compromise (& the reason I want the helmet mount). You can buy a swivel mount that works for MagicShine from another company.

I checked out a lot of light brands & models, but this was the most bang-for-the-buck for any brand with a track record. I've had 2 rides with it so far & it performs flawlessly. Very easy to use.

Borrowed an older MagicShine MJ-808

[Oct 08, 2012]
inmysights

Strength:

Price, but you get what you pay for

Thought I had a good bargain at first.... Rated at 900 lumens but not as bright as my 600 Dinotte's but that wasn't a big worry for 85 bucks who cares right - wrong.... Lasted five rides , yup that's it , green light glows but no light output so quality control is a real concern, should have put the money towards a reliable light and customer service. If you don't mind rolling the dice go ahead but be warned.

Stay away from this product, no customer service possible early failure

[Sep 21, 2012]
DrB

Strength:

The light is very bright and works excellant, I didn't give the product my whole endorsement because it is impossible to get the charger without buying a new light. I read a review by someone who stated you could get this for a lot less money, but BEWARE the cheaper versions, they are powered by a 4.8v battery, this unit has a 8.4v battery pack, doesn't sound like much, but the difference is hugh in time of operation and overall brightness I have both types of lights and the lower voltage, CREE mfg unit is nowhere near as good a quality system. This or the GoMarket system are far superior units, spend the few extra dollars and you will be much happier, I don't like the CREE unit I have at all, it sits in my bike bag collecting dust and copwebs. DrB

If you lose the charger you have to buy a whole new light to charge the battery, I've lost 2 chargers so far, and now I have to but another light, oh well so I'm a little forgetful, this is a good unit and I highly recommend it.

Buy one if you want to ride at night, or better yet get 2 and wear one on your helmet, it really works very well and I don't really even notice the helmet mounted unit until I look to the side, then I REALLY notice how much better I can see. DrB