Lupine Edison 10 Lights

Metal Halide (Xenon) beam: Edison works with all Lupine rechargeable batteries (7.2 V). Its performance of 900 lumen output (in comparison: NightMare Pro 25W HP bulb has 550 lumen output) equals a 65 Watt HP halogen bulb - with the bright white light (colour temperature 6000 K) of xenon car head lamps. Beam divergence is 18°: therefore, Edison has an extremely large light range with excellent peripheral illumination.

Edison has two beam settings to reduce power consumption. Beam settings are regulated via PCS V4.1 switch unit which is equipped with a programmable capacity control.

The Edison is small in size and comes with the typical Lupine casing. Diametre: 41mm, Length: 50mm.

Wayne Morton   [Oct 12, 2013]
Strength:

The beam of the Edison is outstanding

Once the battery charge hits yellow- Edison LED there isn't much time to darkness.

I originally purchased the Edison headlight quite a few years back for Fishing here in Hawaii, here are a couple of stories using the Edison;
1) The first time I turned on the headlight there were five of us fishing a local rocky point in rather nasty conditions, Medium waves crashing the point while we were sliding our baits, when the Edison light was on the rest of the fishermen on the point all looked at their headlight's thinking all of a sudden their light beams went yellow and dim, the difference was night and day, also later that night while shaking our bait down, I was wondering why it was taking so long for the bait to go down the line?? One of my buddies stated turn off your headlight, I did, with his light on it appeared that my bait was gone, turned my Edison light on and there was the bait, low and behold with the calming of the surf, the Edison beam was shinning on my bait, looked like at least 2 feet under water......Unbelievable, later that evening just past midnight I landed a 42 Lb. fish.....
2) Second story I wish to share, One evening while fishing solo, on a rocky point about 10 to 15 feet above the water, my pole took a strike, the waves were pounding and with the help of my Edison headlight, I was able to clearly see the fish in the waves and land it between the wave sets, at no time did I fear my position, the amount of light that the Edison provided was like a security blanket, my only regret is the bulbs are no longer available for the Edison, when it does go I will be moving on to the Wilma, I my opinion these are well worth the cost.....Mahalo " Salt"

Donald Sasaki   Weekend Warrior [Jan 10, 2012]
Strength:

Lupine Edison 10 HiD ET_L950c_WLITH

I want to buy the bulb for this product

Mark   Cross Country Rider [Oct 18, 2010]
Strength:

This light and battery are now into their 5th year. It's awesome bright - night rides are just as fast as daytime. Riding on the road at night with this light, you are without a doubt safer than riding the road during daylight. The light mounts quickly & easily, and the water bottle battery drops into the downtube cage. Long run times - three 2-hour rides between charges. Great charger with a display showing charging volts, amps, and amp/hours put into the battery. Pristine German build quality. I love my Edison!

The bulb is proprietary, and somewhat fragile. You won't bust it riding rough trails or potholed streets, but crash or drop it and odds are you'll need to have the bulb replaced. Unfortunately this light is out of production, and replacment bulbs aren't available.

This light has been eclipsed by the newer high power LED lights, and so has been discontinued. I offer this review because I have been impressed by Lupine's quality. My light is into it's 5th season, and the light, battery, and charger all continue to work flawlessly. Frankly, you do get what you pay for. When my Edison finally dies, I'll go back to Lupine for a new light.

Similar Products Used: Nothing even remotely similar!
Jason   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2007]
Strength:

Unbelievably bright and durable light.
Very light
Easy mounting

I purchased these lights for use in 24 hours of Adrenaline. They really are awesome. They are super easy to mount. By the time others are attaching the brackets for their lights mine are on and I am ready to roll. Also very light, they use a 7.2 Volt batterry whic is smaller and lighter than the others that use 12 or 14 volt systems.
I do not like to use a headlight and have found that this light on the handlebars is plenty of night for any riding at any speed. Burn times are quite amazing, and low beam is often more thatn enought light, it is brighter than the Nightpro's on High beam. So I went from using a handlebar and headlight to just the hanblebar light, have less weight and double the burn times, so really how can you go wrong. They are expensive but they are made of metal, not the cheap stuff on most of the lights out there and they are super simple - Adding extra aftermarket batteries is really easy, I have 4 batteries now, the extra batteries only cost about $30 (not from Lupine - Remote control car batteries are also 7.2V).

Similar Products Used: BLT Halogen lights
Nightrider Pro
Mark and Elizabeth Levitski   [Dec 12, 2006]
Strength:

Intense light w/ good beam focus. Excellent burn times. Rechargeable=economy over time. Lightweight. Adapts to headband mount for our dogsledding.

W/ headband cannot see smart switch data.

For our sleddog racing at night, this lightset looks so far to "outshine" all the available headlamps manufactured specifically for our sport. Initial investment is considerable, but the value overtime can easily justify it. While one battery is used on a long run on the trail, another can be charging in the support vehicle between checkpoints. Care should be taken in shining into the eyes of fellow racers and innocent spectators.

Similar Products Used: Top-of-the-line musher headlamps.
Chad   Racer [Oct 04, 2005]
Strength:

Very very bright, lightweight, high quality
Switch unit that tells you how much charge is left
Easy to mount on bike or helmet
Easy to use
Low and high beam settings

None that I have seen yet

I have tried and tested various light sets on my MTB on the road and in 24hr MTB and adventure races. I have used this light kayaking and rogaining when I dont have time to swap headsets during 24hr adventure races. It works with everything without any problems. The smart switch unit tells me when the battery is dying and can even tell me how much charge is left in my batteries when I switch it on. I spent a lot of time looking around for a quality light set that would not fail me whilst I was racing, and I found it! I had a lot of help from Bill at Gretnabikes.com who was always happy to answer my thousands of questions and then ship to me under a week when I finally decided which model I needed. 10/10 on service and quality, I could not recommend a better combination when looking to purchase a light set.

Similar Products Used: Lume, NR various models
Steve   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2005]
Strength:

light weight, reliability, brightness, run time, ease of on/off the bike, overall design and function. Sales and service at Gretna bikes is top notch.

The best of the best. I have used this on an MTB over footsteps frozen in the ice, much bumpier than anything else found in nature. Similar to riding over tennis ball sized rocks that don't move. In 10 degree F weather.
I have ridden 5 or 6 hours at night on the road in 90 to 100 degree weather with almost 100% humidity. This light probably has about 7,000 total miles on it. A friend dropped her road bike with this light on it pretty hard with no problems.

Just recently I dropped it very hard on the concrete floor on my porch. I broke the bulb. No other HID or Halogen bulb would have survived this drop, this is not a negative thing about this light. It's a positive actually, I mailed this light to Gretna bikes had the bulb replaced and got fast turn around, the light works great. And I have a brand new bulb without a years wear on it.

If you ride much at night and can afford it (even if you can't afford it), you will not be disappointed. Road or off road you can go faster and see better. I would recommend this to roadies and offroadies too.

The more you ride at night the more you will like this light.

Similar Products Used: Nightriders: Classic, Pro6, Blowtorch,... homemade 50w halogen. Cateye and a few others.
Tim B   Cross Country Rider [Aug 15, 2005]
Strength:

Very bright, light (weight)
Simple to install, high quality cables and battery.
quality everywhere!
Excellent serice from Lupine in Germany

errrr perhaps price but everyone else seems to be charging somewhere in the same ball park for less so I reckon theres no weaknesses at the moment

After a lenghty and annoying (for the LBS) selection procedure i chose teh Lupine Edison 10 as my main bike light.
Plans were to due 24hr enduro's and have the flexibility to train in the evening after work.

I've had this light now for 2yrs and it's been absolutely brilliant. Theres still nothing brighter or nearly as light for the run time/weight ratio.
Only once did I need to have a repair done but thsi was covered under warranty and the turna around was super quick considering I'm in South africa and Lupine is in a small town in rural Germany! Two weeks in total and I had it back in time for a 24hr event with a full explanation of the problem and what was repaired. They even took some time to upgrade a few components free of charge.

The advertised run time is 8hrs from the 11A.hr Li-ion battery but I get 9hrs and it's 12.2A.hr!

The beam is wide enough for this to be my only light even in some very tight singletrack.

On regular night rides this light provides sufficient illumination for a large group of riders on fire road.

Out on the road motorists seem to show a lot of respect and give me a wide berth when passing and pulling out of intersections.

In terms of safety and performance this light has exceeded expectations. Can't really put a price on safety so value is difficult to measure but cost of ownership has only been the electricity to recharge the battery. It gets a 10 for value and 10 for performance, 10 for service and,........
Oh well I guess it's a maximum score on all counts.

Good work Lupine, You've made a lifetime customer out of me.

Too worried that an HID is fragile?! Wait for Lupines New LED bike light due in Spetember. If the Edison is anything to go by, i reckon the new light will take their name to another elevated level.

Similar Products Used: Cateye Stadium
Cateye ABS25
Nightlighning Endurenz
Lumi Halide
Light and Motion ARC NiMH
Lupine Edison 5
mike   Racer [Jun 14, 2005]
Strength:

extremely reliable.incredible burn times.

NONE!

This lite is terrific. The construction and materials used are by far the best of any i have come across. After using my edison 10 for several months without so much as a minor glitch i put it to the ultimate test, a solo 24 hour race. Needless to say the edison far exceeded my expectations. ONE Lion battery got me through the ENTIRE NIGHT. The course was basically a 2000ft climb followed by the same amount of descending on singletrack so 55-65% of the time i had it set on low (10 watts) and the other 35-45% it was on high (a less than conservative approach).With the light set on low the light is slightly blueish and brighter than any 10 watt light i have ever seen. Set on high the amount of light this thing puts out is astounding. I was able to bomb down forest service roads at 30-35mph in the middle of the night like it was daytime.In both cases i had more than enough light. Not only did one battery get me through the nite but i even had to leave the light on for about an hour after sunrise to complete the discharge. This light is so bright that there is no need for a helmet mount. The charging system that comes with this light is superb as well,not only is it programable/compatable for any of Lupine's batteries but it also gives you a digital readout of exactly what state your battery is in. No guessing games here.