JetLites Starfire Single Beam w- Smart Switch Lights

Starfire Single Beam w- Smart Switch

Features:
3-light level electronic smart switch, 12w light is ideal for most riding conditions or commuting, 20w light is ideal for technical off road terrain or for those users who want HID brightness at a more affordable price, 13.2v 3800 mah NiMH canister battery with IP-68 rated thread lock connector, aim-as-you-ride helmet mount with safety breakaway, and 5 hr fast charger.

Norman Black   Weekend Warrior [Dec 14, 2006]
Strength:

Quality of light beam. On the fly light head aiming. Robust connections. Very smart charger.

Price.

I have the 20W beam with smart switch (15 and 10W settings). The beam pattern is nice and wide and smooth and not harsh (over bright). The 15W setting is very useful. The 10W setting is a bit dingy but good for slow climbs to conserve battery power. The ability to aim the light head on the fly is a nice feature you may not consider until you can do so. The friction does hold the light head on rough trails. You may have to tighten the friction adjustment from the factory delivered setting. Value is down one due to price.

Similar Products Used: Jet HID
jimbob   Racer [Oct 23, 2006]
Strength:

light is well constructed, bright, waterproof, easy to mount

fuel gauge never worked, discussed this with jim in nov 2006, and he never got back to me regarding this faulty product (see separate review for phantom w/smart switch submitted by another user who had the exact same problem)

buy only if they can guarantee that the smart switch works. otherwise, save your money and purchase the basic setup.

Similar Products Used: none
Brent   Cross Country Rider [Jul 20, 2006]
Strength:

Light pattern is really good.

Connectors suck.
Handlebar mount isn't very good.

I've had this light for over a year and never did manage to use it that much. That didn't stop it from completely dying. As it stands right now, not one part of this light set is working. The crappy connectors have taken out the electronics and the cam on the handlebar mount is trying to seize up.

The big problem is the damn connectors (I really hope they changed these). The connector on the light itself shorted out. I'm not sure if it damaged the battery or not. The charger shares the same style connector as the light and it is fried as well. The LED comes on, but the battery does not charge. Opening it up revealed fried electronics.

When it did work, the light output was great. Nice, bright, uniform light to get you were you are going.

With 0 out of 3 parts working and 1 questionable part, I wouldn't recommend this light. I'm going to piece it back together with some parts laying around the house and use it until it dies again. If the bulb or battery die, I'll be buying a Light and Motion to replace it.

Similar Products Used: Night Rider, Light and Motion
jimbob   Racer [Dec 22, 2006]
Strength:

Customer support and service are top notch - see below. Durability - the lights get knocked around a great deal while being stored in my pannier with my tools, U-lock, etc. Reliability - the light system has held up incredibly well during 1 1/2 very rainy seasons of heavy usage. Ease of use - the light and batter are incredibly easy to mount and dismount, and the mechanism is easily interchangeable with the handlebars on my commuter, mountain, and road bikes.

None that have been identified.

This is a followup to a previous posting. I was amazed to receive an email from Jim of Jet Lites one day after posting a review expressing some dissatisfaction with the fuel gauge on my battery. I was provided with a loaner system while my battery was serviced. I have used the battery for a handful of cycles after getting it back from Jet with no residual problems with the fuel gauge whatsoever. I am very satisfied with the service and customer support.

Similar Products Used: JET Lites Phantom Single Beam (helmet mounted)
Jim   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2007]
Strength:

Customer support (absolutely the best), quality of construction.

Understanding how to interpret the fual guage and ensure accuracy are a little tricky at first. Also, adjusting the aim up/down on the light is easy but there is no obvious way to adjust aim left/right. Not a problem on my bike, but maybe an issue for riders that have a lot of other bar mouunted stuff like computers, etc.

Really well made product with excellent customer support. I got same-day answers to all of my email questions. Light pattern is terrific (I have a 14W model) for biking on paths. Battery delivers burn times advertized by manufacturer. I was tempted to get a Li-Ion battery, but I really liked the water bottle battery which was only available in Ni-MH.