JetLites Phantom Single Beam w- Smart Switch Lights

Phantom Single Beam w- Smart Switch

Features:
3-light level electronic smart switch, 12w light is ideal for most riding conditions or commuting, 20w light is ideal for technical off road terrain or for those users who want HID brightness at a more affordable price, 13.2v 3800 mah NiMH canister battery with IP-68 rated thread lock connector, aim-as-you-ride helmet mount with safety breakaway, and 5 hr fast charger.

a_damn   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2010]
Strength:

awesome

weight?

by now there are lighter battery packs on the market, but none have the sturdiness of this kit, WITH battery gauge. the light can be easily mounted on either helmet or bar and changed very quickly. the amount of light put out by either 12w spot or 25w flood is amazing. all metal bar mount will not break easily, unlike plastic clips and rubber bands of other brands. customer support is top notch - i needed a shim 3 years later and they shipped it to me for free. i wouldn't bother looking at any other light brand.

cmartin   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2008]
Strength:

Quality of construction, great value.

I have had this light for 3 years and use it nightly on my commute to work. This light just works period. I have never had a single problem at all. What more could you ask for in any product. Stop looking and buy a Jet light.

Robert G.   Cross Country Rider [Apr 08, 2006]
Strength:

Works well. Seems quality built. No malfunctions of any kind. Like the connections and the smart charger. Three light levels allows matching the battery life to the ride or the terrain.

Would like the wire to exit the light at the back instead of the side since it is a helemet mount. I have to tie it down in the rear or it drives me nuts.

One thing that influenced me was the high rating here, and the fact that I got a great price from Universal Cycles. Works well with no problems. For trail riding, helmet-mounted lights are the way to go. If I could afford it, I would mount one on the handlebars too for lighting at a different angle. I would get one again if needed.

Similar Products Used: Cheap commuter stuff.
VooDooGuy   [Sep 14, 2007]
Strength:

Sturdy, powerful beam, smart switch, lights up where I turn my head, can see road conditions and debris very well

cost, weight- but worth every penny and ounce!

Used on my road bike and this thing is great. Tried all three light intensities and they all work well. I could see road conditions w/o difficulty. Although the power cord was not in the way, I could see how it can flop over. I'll probably try a Velcro tie of some sort to route the wire. I'm very impressed and am grateful I didn't have to go through a bunch of other lights to learn this is the one.

Similar Products Used: the sun
Greg Hughes   Cross Country Rider [Jun 27, 2007]
Strength:

Very bright. Great color. It really lights the trail, and the battery lasts for quite a while. The components used to build the light are of high quality and quite durable

None.

I highly recommend this product. The quality is excellent.

Similar Products Used: Don't remember the name, it was a loaner, but it was color of the light was too yellow and was not very bright.
jay mall   Weekend Warrior [Jun 27, 2007]
Strength:

Built for rider's, by a rider.
Fast Charge
Rugged construction
GREAT customer service.
Bright light, even at the lowest setting.
Low peripheral vision loss.
Great for trail and road.

None so far.......

Long Lasting Battery, easy to use, can mount on handle or helmet, the width of the lighting pattern reduces tunnel vision and doesn't seem to effect peripheral vision.
I have 3 friends that bought this light after I let them use mine. They said this light was superior to any light system they had used before. Since this is the only system I have used and will use I cannot compare to others. This is a well built and great priced product. I recommend this to anybody.

Similar Products Used: n/a, when I did my research this was the obvious answer.
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Oct 09, 2005]
Strength:

EVERYTHING! design - GREAT! run time - GREAT!

The 13.2V canister battery is a bit heavy

Everything about the Jet works! The design of this product was very much thought out. The helmet mount (system) is the best I've ever seen. There are two velco straps that secure the mount to the helmet. The lighthead itself tilts and has a break-away feature...just GREAT! The smart-switch on the lighthead works GREAT. AT THE 13w setting this thing lights up the trail! ( Note: you have a choice between 13watt bulb and 20 watt (flood) when you order...I chose the 13W spot beam.)
Cycling though the power settings is a breeze. At power up a simple touch turns the light on, touch again and it powers down to the next (lower) setting. To turn off, press and hold (2 sec.) and light turns off. (Note; there are three settings)
The NiMH battery I have has the five LED's to show how much run time is left...a great (optional) feature to have. Run time at the 13w (brightest) level is 3 hrs. If you use the lower levels you can extend your ride even more. Oh yeah, those lower levels work fine, not as bright but the light quality is still clean and white. The Achilles
heal of this battery is that it is a bit heavy. It feels like a lead weight in your camelback.
Over all this is one of the best halogen light systems made. IF JET EVER DECIDES TO USE LI-ION BATTERIES THEY ARE GOING TO CLEAN HOUSE! Oh did I mention Jet also sells a HID lighthead that will retro-fit with your 13.2V battery! JET, you got to luv um'. The only reason I didn't give um' five chilis was because of the battery weight.

Similar Products Used: Niterider 10w helmet mount, Marwi 12w Nightpro (bar mount)
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Oct 11, 2005]
Strength:

EVERYTHING WORKS, great design, bright clean white light.

The NiMH battery is somewhat heavy.

I purchased the version with the 13w spot beam. ( a 20w flood is also available )Compared to the Niterider 10W the Jet has a much brighter light and a wider beam. The helmet mount is well made, the best I've ever seen and the lighthead tilts which allows you to aim the beam just where you want. I was also pleased with the smart-switch on the Jet. It is totally self-contained within the lighthead and works very easily. All three of the light levels are usable although dimmer. There is no "yellowing" on the lower levels, just dimmer light. Connectors work great (they screw together!) The smart charger works great. All the run-times are as advertised. Now if Jet could only sell this with a lighter weigh battery they could corner the market on halogen lights! (However the 13.2V NiMH battery works great and can be used/converted with the newer Jet HID lighthead.)I dropped the value rating a bit because they have raised their price for this model. I've used this light on the toughest east coast single track and it rules.

Similar Products Used: Niterider 10w halogen, Marwi 12w halogen
Norman Black   Weekend Warrior [Dec 14, 2006]
Strength:

Quality of light. Robust connectors. Aim on the fly light head. Very smart charger.

Price

I have the 20W beam with smart switch (15 and 10W settings). The beam pattern is nice and wide and smooth and not harsh (over bright). The 15W setting is very useful. The 10W setting is a bit dingy but good for slow climbs to conserve battery power. The ability to aim the light head on the fly is a nice feature you may not consider until you can do so. The friction does hold the light head on rough trails. You may have to tighten the friction adjustment from the factory delivered setting. The HID light on the head is a bit too spotty and harsh (over bright) for my taste. It can wash our terrain features. Never the case with the halogen. Runtime is 1:30 at full brightness and drops to 50% intensity by 2hrs. I mostly run at 15W (10W on slow climbs) and only use 20W on fast descents or very tech stuff. I have a Jet bar light and helmet light setup. Value is down one due to price.

Similar Products Used: Jet HID
Phil   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2006]
Strength:

- Very powerful light (20w)
- Very nice flood patern for technical trails
- Light headlamp that you don't feel on the helmet
- Smart Switch is a must : 10-15-20 watts to modulate your power & increase battery life for a 3 hrs ride at night

- Expensive for a halogen light ??? (but well worth it)

OK, I have just been using this lamp for less than a month but I can tell you that this IS the lamp. I don't agree with another reviewer that the peripheral vision is not important. When you ride on technical donwhill you need the flood patern this light provide. It is not like commuting on well paved roads. Performance wise, the light is bright and powerful and last at least 2 hours depending on the power output you use. Yes the battery is a bit heavy, but what did you expect ? I put it in the very bottom of my Camelback and that's it. I wanted to buy an HID light at first, but after reading strong reviews for Jet Lites products (and bad ones for NiteRider) and seeing the kind of light a Topeak Moonshine HID provide, my choice was clear. If you read carefully the minimalistic owner manual and apply the advice mentionned there, I don't see why you would have problem with this product. If you want a light that will not let you down, and that will turn your riding partners jealous, buy this one with the Smart switch.