JetLites Dual Beam Halogen Lights

Dual Beam Halogen

JET Lites Dual Beam

Tim Olson   Racer [Dec 11, 2001]

This is a follow up to the review I wrote 2 years ago after I first got this light set. These were some of the first lights that JET produced, with the old style NiCad batteries, old connectors, old mounts, and old housings. I damaged the cords and one of the batteries, but I had them repair it and their customer service was awesome. I also bought a single beam 12 watt helmet light to go with the dual handlebar setup, and it really is much more light than is necessary to ride in any of the conditions I've encountered. A single 12 watt JET light is adequate on either the bar or the helmet, and a 20 watt added to it is just luxury because the beam is so bright and wide. That said, I think the ideal setup is to have a 12 watt single beam with battery and a 20 watt single beam with battery, and put them wherever you want; both on the bars, one on the helmet and one on the bars, or even both on the head (which I wouldn't do because I ride in a lot of fog and rain and occasional dust).

Dan   Racer [Jan 20, 2002]
Strength:

Very Very bright,supeior customer service, mounting options,Battery type (NMHI), switch on bars and lights, 5 hours quick charge

There are none because their customer support gose beyond ANY COMPANY I have ever dealed with in my life.

BUY ONE TODAY,GO RIDE TONIGHT,This is far the best light on the market available to the general public unless you work for nasa you cant find a better light, lights up the blackest of night so I can do daytime speeds on fast singletracks, Rides down from the top of the world are a blast with this light, I have not tried it in the rain but I am extreamly confident because james (jet lites) told me they put them on the floor in the shower, and on the roof in the rain just to see what they will do and he said it work as if it was dry. I am very impressed, comparing it to the cyco-lite its a difference between day and night.

Similar Products Used: Cygo-lite 6 volt 10/6 watt (nicad)
BCP Love to Ride at Night   Weekend Warrior [Jan 22, 2004]
Strength:

Great lighting and lasts long enough I don't need to worry. Don't have to worry about keeping track of charging - the unit automatically determines the level of charge needed. Can get enough light with one light but often I'll use both to get the extra light when I'm not going over 2hours. Attaches easily.

I wish I didn't have to use one of my water bottle holders to hold the battery.

I'd buy this light again. I love this light. Compared to the others I've used - this light takes away all my worries. I don't have to worry about charging a certain amount of time and not longer and I don't have to worry about the light running out in the middle of the trail. I've had both of those problems with previous lights. I ride almost exclusively at night a couple times a week so a good light is important and this one is it!

Similar Products Used: Cygo and Nightrider.
Allen Walker   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 29, 1999]
Strength:

Bright WHITE light; three different beams.

The thumb-switch to change from low/medium/high

This is one great light. My buddy uses another light that isn't nearly as bright even with the same wattage. I generally don't even use the highest setting- the 20W light is enough. The only downer is changing from low/medium to high. The switch goes from low to high to medium to off. So if you are in medium and you want to go to low, it has to cycle through the off position. It can be a little hair-raising at night to turn the light completely off even if only for a second. Other than that minor (almost insignificant) problem, this is one great light. I would recommend it to anyone even though it is a little more expensive.

Similar Products Used: none
Jim   Cross Country Rider [Jan 13, 2000]
Strength:

light as a feather, order right from the manufacturer - go to the website. No light is as bright. These cast a shadow on everything else.

Lacks adjustable output - which the company is working on now?? They are either on or off...save some juice by adjusting the output like those other ones.

You have no visibility problems with these. Wide area of light with an extremely bright center area. Used the bars and the helmet - both are great. Buy the Jets now, or regret buying another set and buy the Jets later. The only lights that compete with these are on 747's, locomotives, and the Sun. Buy the Jets.

6 Flamin'Chilis.

J-F   Cross Country Rider [Sep 27, 2000]
Strength:

Very, very bright light system. Modular light system, so you can start with a single beam and add on to it later.

The holding bracket released itself a couple of times while riding.

Excellent and very bright light system. The price tag is very reasonnable when compared to similar dual beam system. I travel to work 3 to 4 times per week and have unpredictable hours. My biggest fear on the road is to be hit by a car in the middle of the night. I have not been ignored yet by any cars while flashing 32W at them. If you are uncertain wheither you want a dual or single beam system, this modular light system is your best choice because you can add on to it easily.

Similar Products Used: None
Jesse   Cross Country Rider [Aug 15, 2000]
Strength:

super wide, bright beam pattern, light weight, good burn time, great customer support, durable construction

only one: helmet mount seems just a bit mushy--tends to bounce around at higher speeds. maybe a result of the elastic section of the mounting strap stretching out over time? overrall, no big deal.

Having just completed the 24 Hours of Great Glen, I can say that the JetLites' performance was flawless. At 12 watts, everything that was ridable during the day was ridable at night. At 20 watts, I could keep one eye closed. (I never even tried 32 watts.)

Also, as everyone seems to note, the customer support is excellent. With 3 days notice and for a paltry 20 clams, Jim at JetLites sent two batteries and a quick charger for the weekend, thereby removing any concerns for our team about running out of juice. I saw several teams with light failures, but not a sinlge one was using JetLites. Another rider I spoke to was told by one of the bigger light companies that they were too busy to send any support to this event and that ALL of their extra batteries and chargers were going somewhere else for the weekend.

Bottom line is that JetLites are worth every penny you spend on them. I'll take a small company with great products and support over a big name company any time. If your choice is between the JetLites and something less expensive, eat mac & cheese for two weeks and spend the money for JetLites.

Similar Products Used: limited experience with Nite Rider products
Allen Shaw   Cross Country Rider [May 16, 2000]
Strength:

Light weight...long run times...VERY Bright....super design

It'[s the best lights going bar none....we just raced the 24 hrs of Adrenalin.we won our class doing 28 laps..only slowed downed by 3 mins. at nite..thats awesome light power.....If you don't have JETT Lights your not with it .....Get JETT & win......

Similar Products Used: Vista.....
Eric Warkentin   Racer [Mar 12, 2000]
Strength:

Jet Lites are extremely bright, light weight and durable lighting systems. In addition to their high performance, Jet Lites also have a sleek design that is pleasing to the eye. Their customer service is outstanding.

None.

I've been using Jet Lites for over a year for 24 hour mtn bike racing and 24 hour adventure racing. As a solo racer, a high degree of reliability in a lighting system is crucial. The lights are brighter than most, if not all others on the market and their modular design makes it a breeze to switch between single and dual beams and from a handlebar mount to a helmet mount. I just recently competed in a 100 mile mtn bike race in Alaska (2/00) and owe my success to the Jet lighting system, which worked flawlessly in less than ideal conditions. The batteries are powerful, light weight and have a long run time. This system gets my highest rating for being robust, compact and reliable.

Similar Products Used: Night Sun and NiteRider
Evan Hollander   Racer [Feb 15, 2000]
Strength:

Power to weight ratio, durability, customer support

Racoons are scared as hell of them. They just freeze and don't get out of your way. Make a good bunnyhopping opportunity though, so really not a weakness.

I have used these lights for some solo trail riding and were quite pleased with the brightness and burn time. I Just completed my first 12 hour race and got to see alot of other systems outputs and did not realize just how WHITE the Jets are in comparison. The 20W (flood)solo will outperform any other manufacturers dual beam hands down. Pair that with the 12W (spot) and nothing short of the sun itself will throw light like that. Luckily, I cannot report on the crashworthiness of these but all reviews below will attest for the durability. If I had to rebuy, I would not consider anything else...They may be just a bit on the pricey side but, as with everything else in this world "you get what you pay for". After you crack into a tree wearing those 6V yellowed out discount specials, you will know what I mean.