DiNotte Lighting XML-3 Lights

A new DiNotte innovation, the XML-3 uses three of the newest CREE-XML LED for maximum performance in a Small package. This affords the rider world class brightness in a very bright light in an extremely small package (estimated 1000 lumens, but it's so new we haven't had it officially measured yet). The XML-3 uses the same lithium ion battery and charger system as previous models ensuring maxium performance, value and safety.

enfig   [Sep 25, 2014]
Strength:

Reliability, simplicity, power, weight, cost, run time

I bought this light in the fall of 2012, this fall will be the third year that I use it in almost every condition, rain, snow, fog, cold New England winter. I have smashed it against low branches...still It has never let me down.
Other lights are cheaper, but they fail in the worst situations, other are more expensive, but not much more powerful and some of them have too complicated and prone to fail mounting systems.
They say the customer service is excellent...I haven't tried yet!. Highly recommended.

Clay   [May 01, 2014]
Strength:

Very very bright, runs very cool. Battery holds it's charge when not in use very well. Attaches VERY securely to even skinny bars.. it won't move.

Switching from a steady light to strobe is A HUGE P.I.T.A. !!!!!! I stopped using this light for that reason alone. I've never used such a clumsy, EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO USE, poorly thought out control mechanism.

There are way better choices, especially for the extra money you'll spend on the XML-3 that are a lot easier to use.

nicolaim   Cross Country Rider [Mar 25, 2014]
Strength:

Perfect beam pattern
Super bright
Excellent quality
Light weight (for the brightness and run-time)

Helmet mount could be better

I did LOTS of research when I found that my Cygolite MityCross 300 wasn't bright enough for riding singletrack at night. The Dinotte XML-3 easily offers the most bang (and light) for the buck. The beam pattern of my Cygolite is awful in comparison, yet it cost me just as much a few years ago. The XML-3 is really well made. The button is easy to use. The light and battery quickly attach to the bike. I've only done a few short rides, so I can't say anything about the battery run-time or durability. My only gripe is the helmet mount, which isn't a great match with my Limar helmet, and could generally use some improvement. Overall, I can't recommend this light more highly!

Similar Products Used: Cygolite MityCross 300
Cleared2land   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2014]
Strength:

I have been extraordinarily impressed with the value afforded by this light. It’s hard to find a high quality, American made component that offers so much for so little. A true 1,500 lumens (according to MTBR’s 2013 shootout review follow up. This description above needs to be corrected. These are now 1,500 lumens, not 1000 as stated) that is hard to match for $229. Sure, there are claims that offer more for less, but how did they measure up when actually tested?
The beam throw is strong and powerful. The light offers a wonderfully wide beam with no hot spots. Easy to mount and dismount. Dinotte has developed a light that’s everything they say it is and more. A battery that last as long or longer than stated and offers secure and positive waterproof connectors.
One particular feature I like is the multiple flashing options available.

I would be hard pressed to find any weaknesses as of yet.

Serious value for a wonderful light. Small compact package that won’t disappoint. I purchased two of these. One for the helmet and the other for the handlebars. 3000 lumens (between the 2 lights) that will daylight any trail. Outstanding dollar to lumen value! Should you elect to buy two, my suggestion is to purchase two complete unit sets, not the duel set because the duel set up only comes with one charger, cable extension and Velcro strap. You’ll definitely want two chargers to minimize charge times.

Similar Products Used: Light and Motion, Cat Eye
David   All Mountain Rider [Oct 01, 2012]
Strength:

An amazing amount of light -- rated very conservatively at 1200 lumen. Head unit stays cool to the touch. Mounting system works very well on my bar and is very easy to remove -- I don't leave it on the bike. Together with the XML-1 night riding is a blast! Excellent run-time which I suspect is longer than listed.

Battery pack mounting system could be improved -- it slides on down tube at times. It does stay put with enough force applied to velcro strap.

When you consider price relative to the light output, quality, and run-time of this unit, there isn't much out there that compares. Check out the beam trail patterns on the shootout. Then balance the best one relative to price and you'll see what I mean.

Similar Products Used: Dinotte XML-1
Steve_N   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2012]
Strength:

Gobs and gobs of light for a light of it's size
Excellent throw and spill
Battery (4 cell) lasts as long as manufacturers claims, if not longer
Interchangeability between other Dinotte models
Can put into flash mode for commuting

Light mount can slip on rough trails if not cinched up real tight
Battery too heavy to mount on the helmet

I upgraded from a 600L/200L combo to an XML3 Dual set up after 5 years solid use both commuting and MTBing. The XML3's are a massive step up from the 600L/200L. I ended up giving the 200L to a friend with the intention of using both the XML3's on the handlebar and the 600L on the helmet. Complete overkill. The XML3's completely washed out the 600L, so have reverted to one XML3 on the bar and the other on the helmet. It provides enough throw for fast downhill descents and enough spill for tight winding singletrack. Battery life is great and I've actually got about 3 hours out of one charge, 30 minutes more than Dinotte's claims.

It's an almost perfect set-up. I say almost because I have only a couple of small gripes.

You can't attach the 4 cell battery to your helmet as it's just too heavy so it has to go in the jersey pocket or my Osprey pack. The only other gripe is the light mount. On the bar, over washboard or rough trails the light has a tendency to slip if not done up tight enough. I found that out the hard way on a rough descent on one of my local trails. If the XML3's had a mount similar to the 600L then it would be perfect.

The fact that the XML3's are also interchangeable with other models in the Dinotte range is icing on the cake. Not to mention the customer service and fast international postage. From Dinotte to my door in Australia in a week is pretty impressive!

Price vs lumens, these are very hard to beat. Highly recommended.

Similar Products Used: Dinotte 600L/200L
BLT
katman   All Mountain Rider [Feb 09, 2012]
Strength:

Quality produce made in the USA, incredibly bright with a wide beam, even coverage, long throw that turns night into day. The light itself is small and light with a simple secure HB mount; it's a piece of cake to mount and unmount it. Weatherproof connectors and compact battery with a secure velcro mount that stays put. I have 3 other lights and none compare to this light. The Dinotte washes out my helmet mounted LED light from another manufacturer. The price is very fair; this is a lot for the money and a better value than anything else I saw. I trust US made products more than Chinese made and prefer to support our manufacturing; all the better when the cost is competitive.

I don't see anything so far. The only thing I noticed is that the battery is made in China.

Great value and quality. Incredible power that will make any trail ridable at night; downhills, twisty turns, technical, anything. People who have not used a light this good don't understand what it can do for night riding so give it a try and you'll see for yourself. You can't go wrong with this one. Great for anyone doing semi serious or serious night riding on trails and no doubt on the road too.

Similar Products Used: Sigma PowerLED Black
wwwmattcom   Cross Country Rider [Feb 06, 2012]
Strength:

There is enough flood and enough throw for this to be the only light in your repertoire. I have used it on rail trails and on the road. Will edit review when I use it on technical trails.

Best bang for your buck. $ to lumen. I was between this Dual set up and the nite rider options (from REI) but chose not to pay for the REI guarantee. Glad I did.

d365   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2012]
Strength:

very bright. excellent, even beam pattern, with good throw and plenty of spill. fairly small and light weight, with long run time. mounts are secure. durable construction, made in USA. heat management is great, as it's never hot to the touch. price is very fair, and customer service was quick as well.

the only thing I can think of is - the helmet mount sits up a little higher than I would like, but I still use it every ride, and it's height is comparable to many other helmet mounts out there, so.... a bit nit-picky.

This seems to be a high-quality light, at a very competitive price. The beam pattern is stellar. Good for use on the handlebar or helmet. I've been using it as my only light (helmet), and it is more than enough light for our tight, technical trails. Using Medium power for climbs and High for downhills, and after 4.5 hrs, I've never gotten to the low battery warning yet.

The light has been durable as well. So far, it's taken an endo at speed, and a solid smack by a tree branch (that knocked me backwards off the bike)... it's still going strong.

I would absolutely buy this light again, and can't give it anything less than 5 outta 5, at this point.

Fiddledust   Weekend Warrior [Dec 14, 2011]
Strength:

The XML-3 is a small package that produces plenty of light for riding after dark. The battery provides at least 2.5 hours of light on high beam.

None so far.

The XML-3 replaced one of my 200L lights that had quit working after three years. Rob at DiNotte gave me a generous trade in allowance for the non-working 200L. I still use one of the 200Ls on my helmet but it is only there to attract the attention of motorists at intersections. There are brighter lights available on the market but for me, the XML-3 answers the question of how much light is enough. Trail, road and greenway riders should be well satisfied with this light. I am reluctant to give anything five Flamin' Chilis but in this case it is deserved.