Dark Ends System 2 Lights

System 2

• Dual 40-watt headlamp w/overdrive (By adding an additional cell to the battery pack we are able to increases the light out put significantly.)
  • Remote thumb switch with rain boot
  • Quick release slide mounts
  • Quick-change snap ring for easy bulb replacement.
  • Independently adjustable lamp head
  • NiMH battery technology
  • Sealed battery bottle.
  • Run Time:
    2.1 hours on low.
    1.1 hours on high.

• User Reviews (4)

Joe   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2002]
    Strength:

I feel these are the best bang for your buck, omitting building it yourself. Tough, BRIGHT, and take riding to a new level!!!!

Bulky switch/ no biggy though...

Buy these, they rock

Similar Products Used: ----
    Steve Weeks   Cross Country Rider [Oct 03, 2002]
    Strength:

Bright! Dual bulb for redundancy. Simple. Light weight. Dark Ends was very helpful, suggesting a 12-watt low beam for extended burn time.

Beam control switch is a bit floppy on the bar, but is easy to use anyway. Re-charge time must be estimated as a proportion of 16 hours, depending on use (minor nuisance).

I selected this system after careful review on this web site. The mounting brackets are easy to attach and permit rapid switching of the lights from one bike to another. The construction is robust, yet simple, using many parts that look like they were made for other purposes and so didn't have to be re-designed... I suspect this helps keep the price down. Trail riding is like riding in the daytime. I believe I could perform field dentistry with this light... it's as bright as my normal operatory light! The customer service people were very responsive to my questions. Buy this light if you want a simple yet BRIGHT lightweight light system. Too soon to say, but I'm betting it's reliable as well.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Fireballs Comp... sent back for refund. Specialized 4-AA-cell "flashlight"... good for being seen, but not for seeing. My family uses them.
    Alex   Cross Country Rider [Apr 30, 2001]
    Strength:

Super Bright Clear Even Beam, Light battery, fast charger

switch sometimes a little goofy. no low power warning.

I use this light all winter long and for the 24 hr races I enter and it has yet to let me down. I ponied up the extra cash for the quick charger because I was racing 24 hrs and the charger is awesome, full charge in under 5 hours and it's better for the battery. The Battery is light and durable as are the light mounts, which when not on your bike, hardly leave any hardware behind which is nice.

I've had nothing but good service from DarkEnds.

Similar Products Used: Nightrider digital head trip, Vistalite, Light And Motion.
    Alex Kerin   Cross Country Rider [Dec 08, 2000]
    Strength:

Excellent lighting pattern.
    Long lasting battery.

Switch sometimes difficult - see below
    Charging setup not ideal

Out of all the extra things light companies can offer you in their products (digital switching, fancy charging etc.), the two most important things are: How well does the light illuminate the trail? how long does the battery last?

Darkends have invested the majority of the product cost in these two things. I rarely need to switch to both lights, as the single flood is plenty, except on nasty technical descents, where the spot comes in handy. The battery lasts 2 hours plus on the single setting. often much longer than other peoples setup.

Because of the investment in these two, the rest of the setup is pretty basic. The switch is a simple toggle switch, that I have accidentaly flicked off while riding. The charger has no trickle charge or cutoff time. I solved this by adding a household timer switch, set for the 16 hr charge cycle. They do a quick charger as well that I have used in a 24 hr race.

Noting the above, Darkends are developing a digital option as well, so the level of sophistication is increasing.

Bottom line: The system is basic compared to what options you can get nowadays, BUT all of the money you spend goes into the battery and the lights. They last a long time and light the trail very well. What more do you want?