Cygolite Z Force HID Lights

CYGOLITE is breaking into the competitive arena with the introduction of the new Z Force HID lighting system. The Z Force utilizes a new 12-watt Metal Halide HID lamp that produces the equivalent of 40 halogen watts. The HID light resembles sunlight, resulting in a clearer, brighter, bluish white beam. For extended use, CygoLite has integrated a high-capacity Nickel Metal Hydride battery pack.

jmowatt   Cross Country Rider [Dec 01, 2008]
Strength:

3 yrs no problems super bright can burn for two nights on one charge

none so far

3 seasons and still strong!! this light has been so good to me i just bought another one for my bars (fog light) yes i would recommend but retail price still high buy off season..

Similar Products Used: BLTs
Jay Gardner   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2003]
Strength:

Price,lightweight compact head,simple mounting bracket,bright.The super bright light has fantastic safety benefits when used for night commuting!

hmm,not much to complain about considering price..no button on lamp head,no fancy "bells and whistles"

Very reasonable price for an HID system that is just as bright as the others. Opted for the longer run time NIMH battery(I got almost 4hrs total in two separate rides)which also comes with a 4-5 hr rapid charger that comes in handy for when I need to charge it at work.The NIMH battery is also a little smaller than the halogen and has a low charge indicator, but no charge status display (havent found that I needed it really). I used to use a two light setup, but switching to the brighter light I found myself not hassling with the headlamp because of the brightness and whiteness of the lamp. Thats not to say I dont miss having a smaller headlamp to see around turns, its just that the light quality is so good that it often outweighs carrying extra weight,keeping track of another battery/lamphead/cables etc.COMMUTER ALERT: I also discovered that using it for commuting on the road made my commute MUCH SAFER!! Why? Because cars REALLY notice me now coming up on the side or approaching intersections or driveways- no one has accidentally cut me off when I run this bad boy!Bright is good where safety is concerned. Great price,been reliable so far-Highly recommended.

Similar Products Used: niterider digital pro
Chuck Hammond   Cross Country Rider [Jul 16, 2003]
Strength:

I fell in love HID lights and with this great price of $299 I can ride all the time and not worry about breaking something and having to pay an arm and leg like some other companies who make HID lights. I called Cygolite and they said the cost of the replacement battery for my NiCad was about $100. Great Product at an unbelivable price. Plus it looks great.

None so far

Great light for the price. Gives me 3 hours of burn time at about 40W of Halogen light for $299. Can't beat the bang for the buck. After using Cygolite's HID I'm extremely happy because it didn't burn a huge hole in wallet when I bought it and with the cost of replacement parts priced so resonable I can myself using the product for years to come. Cygolite has the HID for everyone, not just the high end people.

Similar Products Used: Night Rider, Light and Motion
Scott Buley   Cross Country Rider [Mar 30, 2006]
Strength:

This light was my savior when my vistalights finally quit...thought some new technology would be good ...
the light is intense and battery life is excellent, but read on and check my other review 2 places down ...

This company sucks to deal with ...no urgency in accomadating this cyclist/bike shop employee ...my light has failed me again ...The first problem was in oct 05 ...battery charger failed and would not charge...called them and I got a run around ..light was 2 weeks old ...5 weeks later I got sent a new rapid charger ...Now 6 months later and the light still looks great in the box...wont stay on without going to low battery status regardless of how its charged ...called them today after making sure it wasnt something I screwed up and got the same run around and some further bs about how that system is not manufactured anymore ...that they could not replace the whole thing that it would have to be repaired...nice after only 4 rides and my dollars laid out there I get boned ...
So I finally get the ra# to send it back...I expect the result will be that they fix the light, but to deal with this hassle is a pain in the ass ...Any other manufacturer
would have sent me a light system and call tagged the old ...These guys have no clue about customer service and
my conversation with them in regards to my problems exhumed no empathy ...I would say that they are just in it
for the money and not to improve our sport as well as satisfy and support their customers....I would not reccomend this purchase again ...

This company might have the technology, but not the support...its a shame cause I like the light except for the mount ...For the cost I would feel more confident with a flashlight taped to my handlebar and a camelbak full of
batteries.....
Cygolite is not your best choice .......

Similar Products Used: Marwi elite, titan...Vistalight halogens ....
PETER MARTINEZ   Cross Country Rider [Mar 14, 2006]
Strength:

Excellent visibility on the Interurban and Greenriver Trail. I am a yearround commuter. Kent to Seattle 5 days/wk. I go to and come home in the dark during the winter months. Using the NiCad model I just had a battery failure after 18 months. I returned and exchanged the NightRider roadrat for the Z-force. I needed the light output and the longer battery charge.

I do not like the placement of light switch. It's hard to push the light button when wearing gloves in the winter. Designing a Battery with a longer lasting charge would make this system even better.

Definitely a good buy. I want to see where I am going and Z-force doew the job. I Got to dodge those pesky wabbits, skunks, and river rats running around on the trail in the early morining hours. You definitely can see far enough ahead to avoid a nasty spill. This is an excellent lighting system for soumeone who uses their bicycle as a primary mode of commutting.

Similar Products Used: I tried the nightrider roadrat
Ed   Cross Country Rider [Dec 10, 2003]
Strength:

Great construction, easy and fast charge

Could use wider swivel adjustment range

Great light for the $$. 1st night ride was a blast, great coverage and beam pattern. NIMH charge time outlasted my partners Light & Motion, with the same brightness.
Excellent light for early morning training as well, you will be seen! Great light for all levels.

Similar Products Used: Light & Motion, Nite rider, Turbo Cat
Wesley   Cross Country Rider [Nov 20, 2003]
Strength:

Great light, nice spectrum, good mounting system (easy to use, and the mount should break before the light does!), good price for an HID

Ni-cad battery on my model=Slow charging. You can upgrade to a 3 1/2 hr charger for $70. Replacing bulbs (as on any HID is expensive)

I love this light. It makes night riding a whole new experience

Similar Products Used: Turbocat S32, NIteRider HID
Bikerdom   Cross Country Rider [Sep 27, 2003]
Strength:

Rugged, Bright, simple to use and quick to charge, Light pattern is superior, light weight, NiMH 4hr battery, Mount on light swivels perfectly at great angles for mounting on a riser bar.

Price, Freezes animals in their tracks!

Combined with my Storm helmet light you can bring on the night! I've had great luck with Cygolites in the past so I thought I'd try their new lastest and greatest. The thing is as good as my $400 Niterider but a little more rugged and is lighter. Niterider has met its match with these. Cygolite is a great company and isn't new. They've been around for years and are going strong. Parts are easy to attain and they're fine folks to deal with.
About the prices of these HID wonders. Hopefully the competition will bring the price down to a reasonable range. Right now I'm using $600 to $700 worth of lights. Kinda' crazy but for safety and fun it worth it. No one can afford a mishap in the middle of the night. Ride safe and have fun!

Similar Products Used: Niterider Storm and Blowtorch, Niterider Digitals, Cygolites Deluxe 30
Rolfe   Weekend Warrior [May 03, 2006]
Strength:

bright light, cheap price

cheap price, poor quality parts

I bought two of these, one for me and the other for a friend. After about 4 months of use (16 times), the cord failed. I borrowed my friends light (since he never made it out for a night ride), and after about 5 months that cord was giving me trouble. I was able to rig that cord so it worked, but then the switch broke and I was out of luck. I ended up replacing my Niterider battery.

Never got around to waranty it, but will be sending it back soon... It needs better parts.