Cygolite Dual Cross 300 Lights

Dual Cross 300

Dual High Intensity LEDs with Hi-Capacity NiMH Battery for extensive All Terrain riding
Features:

• Dual High-Intensity L.E.D.s
  • Light output equivalent of 20 halogen watts
  • 100,000 hour L.E.D. bulb life
  • Rechargeable pocket-sized battery
  • Multiple stage battery level indicator
  • Multiple light output modes
  • Dual Switches for easy mode selection
  • Weatherproof construction
  • SOS flashing and low-output walking mode
    Specifications:
  • Battery: High Capacity NiMH
  • Run Time: 4 Hours High Intensity, 9 Hours Low Intensity
  • Charge Time: 4 Hours
  • Head wt.: 5 oz.
  • Battery wt.: 12 oz.

• User Reviews (15)

Almostcrashproof   Cross Country Rider [Sep 03, 2007]
    Strength:

Bright light! Great penetration, battery life and price for the performance.

Doesn't come with helmet mount included (come on Cygolite, get real). I did try it bar mounted as well and had no problem with the mount supplied, however I use this as a helmet mounted light.

Performs really well as a helmet mounted primary light for quick trail riding. You've got to be going some to outrun this light, though I can't speak for fast downhill use.
    My personal preference is to have another light for the 'bars - I use a PrincetonTec Yukon Extreme on the zenon setting.
    The Dual Cross gives excellent light for tracking the trail ahead with your head movement, battery life has been exactly as advertised, the charger is easy to use and it doesn't seem to mind wet weather. Really user friendly and a great trail helmet lamp.

Similar Products Used: Jet Lite Phantom, PrincetonTec Yokon Extreme.
    Lou   Cross Country Rider [Jan 05, 2007]
    Strength:

Very bright and focused light. Long battery life. LED dependability and lifetime

Beam a little narrow. An included helmet mount would be nice.

I purchased the Dual Cross because I was looking for a reasonably priced light system that gave me lots of light and a long burn time.

I am very happy with the performance of this product.

The light puts out a very bright white beam and has a great range. I have been out on a few very wet nights and even in the rain I can see well.

I have been using this light as a helmet mount using a mount system from my Cygo Nitro setup and using the Nitro on my bars.

The width of the beam could be a little wider but that seems to be a common thing with LED setups. We ride a lot of tight singletrack so by mounting to my helmet it does not seem to be that big of a deal.

Burn time ( so far the longest I have been out is 2 1/2 hour) is great. You can put the light on a lower setting and gain a lot more time and still have plenty of light.

That was important to me because it's not fun when you’re a little lost and your light is getting dim.

Customer service is really good with Cygo also. I have not had any problems but they have been good at answering my questions when I contacted them.

Similar Products Used: Nightrider and other Cygo Products
    Jim   Cross Country Rider [Jan 03, 2007]
    Strength:

Light output, burn time, price and the inherent reliability of LED systems.

Helmet mount not included. Handlebar mount doesn't look like it would survive a crash (I could be wrong). Beam pattern is a little narrow.

Combine the Dual Cross with an inexpensive helmet-mounted single bulb LED light (preferably one with a wide beam) and for around $300 you'll get enough light for most any kind of riding, phenomenal burn time and the peace of mind of knowing that you've got a back up in the unlikely event one light fails.

Similar Products Used: Several different name brand halogens
    Dan   Weekend Warrior [Dec 24, 2006]
    Strength:

Price, run times, light functions, small battery

no helmet mount packaged with it, narrow beam pattern

For the money this light is great. The beam is a little narrow for a handle bar only mount system. If this was my only light I would get something different. The narrow pattern makes twisty high speed riding a little sketchy. This would be awesome for a helmet spot light. Light output is great for a LED system.

The different light outputs are nice too, and the 4 LED battery indicator is also a nice touch.

The bar mount is a little flimsy. Over bumpy terrain, you can see the light bouncing up and down more than the bike is actually moving. It's probably more noticeable because of the narow light pattern.

I use the light primarily as my climbing light, and secondary downhill light. When the speeds pick up, I turn on the Jet light and let the fun begin.

Similar Products Used: Jet Light single beam
    Jed   Cross Country Rider [Nov 09, 2006]
    Strength:

Plenty Bright, puts out a white light, both spot and flood, unit looks large on the website, but in reality it's really compact. 4 different light levels to meet your needs, plus 3 blinking levels and a walking mode. This light is truly awesome, I'd recommend it to anybody and everybody. This light is small enough to mount on top of your helmet as well. I'd recommend purchasing the helmet mount if this is way you want to set it up.

none so far

As far as amount of light per dollar goes, the Cygolite Dualcross is really hard to beat, it really is a great light for the price.

Similar Products Used: Cateye, Dionette
    Edward   Cross Country Rider [Dec 04, 2006]
    Strength:

brightness, size, price

none so far

I commute to work almost everyday and I needed a light that would both light my way and get the attention of other motorists. Since budget was a concern, I decided to go with the Dualcross 300 (thanks to help of everyone on this forum). I weighed the options of a HID, but didn't want to jump to that price point, plus knowing at some point, I would have to purchase replacement bulbs. The Dualcross 300 has been awesome so far. It has a plenty bright for my needs, plus the flashing mode has been incredible for being noticed. It's great seeing reflective signage being lit up 4-5 blocks away. I now enjoy riding at night. I highly recommend it if your daily commuter.

Similar Products Used: vistalite
    Duane   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2006]
    Strength:

PRICE, Durability, light run time, visibility

None so far

I was initially skeptical whether an LED system would be bright enough to light up a single track trail. The Dual Cross 300 cured my skepticism. It easily was brighter than a friend's system that had 2 separate LED 1 watt lights, and was just as bright as another friend's system that had two 15 watt halogen bulbs. I beleive Cygolite's claim that this light is as bright as a single 20 watt bulb. The pure, white light is also nice, compared to the yellow hue of a halogen. I was sold on trying this system when I saw a replacement bulb for a HID system was $100 by itself! The HID 40 watt is probably brighter, but the LED will last forever, is about 1/3 the cost, and is more durable in a crash. The Dual Cross is plenty bright enough to let me fly down some pretty fast single track in pitch black.
    Suggestions: 1) Get some sort of helmet light also. You need this no matter what handle bar light you have.
    2) Get the 300 model Dual Cross(vs. the 200). The light is the same, but the fast charger protects the battery from overcharge, in addition to charging in a fraction of the time.

Similar Products Used: My first light
    Jason Pate   Cross Country Rider [Oct 16, 2006]
    Strength:

Cost, Cost, Cost. In a world of expesive bike lights this is a true low cost solution. It is plenty bright and lasts the full 4 hours stated on full power. Battery is small about like the old niterider 6v ones.

Bar mount is very secure but is low mounted and can get into the cables.

For the money you can't beat it. I paid $118 for the 200 model (slow charger) but the fast charger one can be had for $155 or so. The light is good an it seems to be better made than the old CYGO lights of the past. I would definatly buy it again.

Similar Products Used: Niterider Cyclone HID, Marwi 20w single, BLT 45, etc.
    fungusamungus   [Mar 12, 2007]
    Strength:

Everything, a great light.

Well, the mounting bracket

Great light,nuff said.Just a flimsy mouting bracket that shakes & vibrates on the trail, very noticable in beam. Great flashing mode for onroad, lights up the street signs damn near 3 blocks down the street....lol.Which i aim the beam slightly higher on road. Near about face height of car operators. Very good battery run time.

Similar Products Used: Various halogens
    eric whiteside   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2008]
    Strength:

Bright white light, sturdy, adjustable settings, battery level indicator, computer controlled energy management, compatible with some other cygolite helmet mounts, several flashing modes good for visibility around motorists

No helmet mount included, narrow-ish "flat" beam

This is a follow up post to my earlier post. Everything I mentioned before still applies.

I sold my Nitro XM to by ANOTHER DualCross 300, but I kept the helmet mount from the Nitro. Remember how I stated before that the DualCross works well as a helmet mounted light? Well, one on the bars and one the helmet is AWESOME!!! Mounted on the handlebar this light provides a bright but kind of narrow and "flat" beam. By flat I mean that you don't get the big circular "spotlight" that you get from some other lights. There is less peripheral light dispersal, but once you put the light on the helmet you benefit from more of the beam. It still doesn't provide the circle I mentioned before, but it does become a more efficient light source for technical singletracks. Using two of them in conjunction allows me to ride at roughly the same speed as I would during broad daylight...even downhill! I got rid of the halogen because it was distracting to have a yellow halogen light and a white LED light together. Now of course...for the price of two of these you could buy one H.I.D. setup. However...with these two you have more usage options. I normally run the handlebar light on a higher setting than the helmet light. On high they WILL run for 4 hours and on low they are rated at 9 hours...so if you run them on different power settings you can plan it out so that you never have to worry about running out of battery power and pushing your bike back in the dark. Additionally, when your battery starts getting low (you'll know from the indicator) all you have to do is switch to a lower setting to buy some more time. The only drawback to this setup is that you will have to remove your helmet to check the status of that light.
    Bottom line...I'm still very satisfied with this product...obviously so since I bought two of them. It is NOT as ridiculously bright as an H.I.D. lighting system but believe me...it is DEFINITELY a good trail riding light!! It doesn't seem as bright on city streets due to ambient lighting, but without outside light sources it is more than sufficient as a commuting light as well.