CatEye TL-LD1100 Taillight Lights

TL-LD1100 Taillight

The TL-LD1100 is the latest and brightest tail light from Cateye with even brighter LED's than the previous model. It is highly water resistant, has 3 different flashing modes plus constant.

mark   Cross Country Rider [Nov 28, 2010]
Strength:

Bright, side lights, reliable. Uses redily avaialable AA batteries. Long run times.
The light's mount does have a "quick release."

Not the lightest out there.
Switch the light to "steady" when riding in a group to prevent hypnotizing the guys behind!

This has proved to be an excellent light. Very bright. Dedicated side lights. Has redundant electronics - each row of LEDs is driven by it's own circuitry - but that also means two switches to fiddle with. Occasional issues with dim light or no light - always due to "dirty" battery contacts. (I've thought about putting a bit of electrical contact grease on the battery ends, but never get around to it. Just removing the batteries & giving their ends a rub on your pants fixes it.)

Stuart Kinnear   Racer [Apr 30, 2009]
Strength:

Very bright light with variable settings.

Horizontal alignment only. Too bright when in peloton. Battery cap easily lost. Difficult to switch off.

Very bright and visible, easily seen by traffic, make sure it is adjusted so you don't blind your mates in a peloton. I am extremely annoyed when I lost my battery cap. When you change your batteries you can screw the cap on without proper engagement. Then after a period the cap pops off - then you might as well through away your expensive purchase as there are no spares available. It is suitable as purchase for night city riding, but use lithium rechargeable batteries and beware the end cap!

Similar Products Used: various
shawnantaya   Cross Country Rider [Nov 11, 2008]
Strength:

Bright, different blinking options, reliable.

Heavy, can't handle moisture well.

The light is bright and reliable like other Cateye products I've used. The problem is two fold: first, the weight causes stress on the plastic structure that holds it to my bike, after 1+ years of commuting the plastic arm that holds it to my bike frame broke when I hit a pothole, luckily I recovered it before a car ran it over. Second, it works fine in the rain but the next day the light acts up. It will have dim lights, blink erratically or totally not work, it is not due to dead batteries. It always happens after rain, I think moisture affects the electronics. I simply wait a day and it works fine again. I've had better success with the smaller Cateye lights like TL-LD130.

Pyroreb   Weekend Warrior [Sep 16, 2008]
Strength:

Incredible eye-catching patterns in "hyper mode"

A bit heavy

I love the TL-LD1000. It's been at $40.00 for years for a reason. Since the two layers of LED's are controlled separately, this allows for a variety of flash and steady settings for increased visibility. I've tested many different models in stores (before and after) and this one seems to be the "Cadillac" of AA type lights. There is no way traffic can miss you when you are running both layers on "hyper" mode - It's incredibly eye-catching. Side note: Try two lithium batteries for less weight, increased run time, and most importantly to help the environment.

Similar Products Used: My first and only tail light purchase
epola   Cross Country Rider [Sep 02, 2008]
Strength:

Well built and solid feel. 10 leds, 4 side leds and 6 facing the rear. 2 AAs last forever. Like the previous reviewer said, it's very bright. Side visibility is excellent.

-Can't make all 10 leds blink together.
-Not that much more visible at the distances that matter for riding in traffic.

Atlhough it does cast a ton more light that your typical blinkie, the difference is negligible at real-world distances of about 50 yds (i've compared with my planet bike blinkie side by side).

The independent controls mean that the two rows of leds CAN NOT blink unison, and end up 'cancelling' each other in all the flashing modes. this seems to me to negate the visibility I was after.

This is nitpicking, but the double button arrangement means double the number of clicks to navigate through modes, and there being five of them (including off), that's quite a lot of clicks.

In reality it's two 5-led lights that share the same casing. I'm not sure it's worth it. Buy if you plan to use on solid mode most of the time, or as a backup.

Similar Products Used: several planet bike blinkies, other no-brand blinkies.
the haro master   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2008]
Strength:

CRAZY BRIGHT!!!

NONE

This is the best of the best if you want to be seen this is the light for you. When I first got I but the battery's in and turned it on to see the thing work and WOW my eyes weren't rite for like 10min like I said CRAZY BRIGHT!