CatEye HL-EL520 Lights

The HL-EL520 has a high power LED combined with OptiCube lens technology to shine at more than 1800 candlepower. Features a compact design, high/low beams, and more than 150 hours of runtime in low beam on 4 AA batteries. It features a side visibility and FlexTight bracket.

Paul   Cross Country Rider [Apr 11, 2008]
Strength:

Puts out a lot of light
Very waterproof
Lasts a really long time on a set of batteries.
Doubles as a flashlight when I'm not wearing a helmet light.

The flex mount is all but impossible to tighten enough to keep the light from slipping. I'm replacing them with a more solid mounting system.

A pair of these lights and a change of batteries would be more than enough to get you through PBP or any 1200k event even on high. These make great little commuter lights as well when used in pairs. I didn't hold out a lot of hope for led lights but these are impressive. I rode through a storm that dumped 6" of rain on us and they shined all the way through.

Similar Products Used: Night Rider Road Rat, Princeton Tec Yukon Bike/Helmet Light
OVERALL
Dave   Weekend Warrior [Sep 28, 2007]
Strength:

Bright, compact, easy to attach to/remove from mount, two brightness settings, fairly inexpensive

Not sure how water resistant this will be -- I have not used it in the rain.

I use this for city commuting. If I needed a light for trail riding, I would spring for an HID light.

All in all, I'm really happy with this light. I originally bought it as a backup for my Nite Rider, but the NR's NiCAD battery is so blown out at this point (I was having to recharge it every other day) that I've gone to the Cateye. I use 4 rechargeable AA's, and keep four fresh spare ones with me as well. I switch out the batteries after about 8 hours of use, but I use only the higher setting.

If you read the reviews for the EL530, you'll see that a lot of people had issues with the Flex-Tight mount. I can't address that, since my EL520 came with a differnt on. Based on the other reviews, I'd recommend buying the H-31 or H-32 brackets here:

They're cheap -- I just ordered an extra bracket for my other bike, and it came to $4.06 US with shipping.

My model came with the H-32 bracket, which I like a great deal. The light releases from it very cleanly, and in fact I've detached it a couple of times to use as a flashlight. But when it is attached there's no rattling, despite the fact that I ride a lot of chip-seal roads, which will vibrate you right off the saddle when it's fresh.

I think the beam is excellent. Some cars would ignore you even if you mounted klieg lights to your ride, but everyone else seems to see me with no problems. For my commute, which I know very well, it is more than enough light to illuminate road hazards.

So if you need to get around town, this is a great light for you. My morning commute is in the dark for about 9-10 months of the year, and it's great for that. If you are riding on the trails or out in the countryside, I'd recommend something a bit more powerful (and, regrettably, more expensive).