CatEye HL-EL410 Lights

HL-EL410

The Compact Opticube light sets a new standard in size, brightness and versatility. With batteries, it weighs only 78 grams, and it's only 9.3 cm long. That's 2.6 ounces and 3.7 inches - much smaller (and brighter) than an energy bar. Three ultra bright LEDs are magnified with our Opticube lens and reflector to produce more than 180

Paul0   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2009]
Strength:

light weight, small, easily mounted on helmet

not very bright. This light is not good if you're riding on a road/trail that you do not know well or that has many obstacles, since its light output is somewhat feeble.

I like this light because it's small and light enough that I can routinely keep it in my handlebar bag. My riding is divided between bicycle commuting and long weekend rail trail/road rides. Mostly I ride during daylight, but sometimes I work late or a long ride extends into dusk, and it's handy to have a light. If I had a heavier light, it would get left at home more often.

Similar Products Used: I used to use a handlebar light, but my handlebar bag blocked it. A helmet-mounted light works better.
chephy   Cross Country Rider [Aug 16, 2009]
Strength:

* good light output (for size and price)
* batteries last forever
* durable
* waterproof
* can be mounted on handlebars or helmets and moved from bike to bike easily
* light and compact

* some relatively minor mount issues (see full review)

I am quite pleased with this light. It gives out a very nicely focussed beam that makes it easy for others to see you. There is a steady mode and a flashing mode (I usually use flashing to attract attention). Mind you, it's not going to light up a dark trail or road for you, but in a well-lit city I need lights primarily so that others can see me, and this light does the job.

There is a little metal pin that's part of the mount and that seems to want to move off-centre sometimes. It's never actually came close to falling out though, and it's easily pushed back into proper position. Also, before I figured out a good way to arrange the straps of the mount, the light would always tilt downward on bumps. However, I played with it some and found a good way to position the straps (make one end shorter than the other - and I've had no trouble since, the light sits on handlebars very securely. Yet it's easy to remove and reinstall. Transferring it between bikes is very easy and requires no additional mounting brackets.

Riding in the rain does it no harm. Batteries last a long time.

In short, I'm very pleased. Don't get this if you need to actually see in a dark environment, but if you just need others to see you, this light works great.

Similar Products Used: PB front lights (similar price and power)
abie915   Cross Country Rider [Nov 14, 2008]
Strength:

Light, long battery life, very nice rocker switch

Non quick-release mount, mount feels somewhat fragile

This light is bright enough to get noticed by cars and pedestrians, but don't expect it to light up your way. If you ride at night in an urban area with street lights, this works fine.

I wish this came with a quick release. Taking this thing off every time I leave it on campus gets old quickly.

Bubbolo   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2007]
Strength:

Simple, well made, good light for the value. I use it in pair with good feeling.

Collar

I do not like collar, it's stenght but i don't like the design.

Jim   [Mar 26, 2007]
Strength:

Mounting bracket is simple & works well. Product is compact, light-weight and well-made.

Not bright enough.

It simply isn't bright enough to be used as a primary light. IMO, whenever battery-powered lights are used, it's a good idea to have a back up. The EL410 is small and low weight, so it's well suited for use as a back up. If your primary light dies, it'll get you home.

Similar Products Used: Cat Eye EL-520
vazquezela Bonchiuhapua   Downhiller [Apr 22, 2008]
Strength:

Small, Cheap and bright enough to be seen.

I guess you could always use more light.

This light is used to be seen while riding through the city at night. It is not powerfull enough to use as a serious night trial riding light, its only $35 what do you expect? but it will work great as a backup. Overall it is a great commuter light to be used in well lit areas.

On a side note I use mine on my Freeride rig so it gets slammed around all night, I only need to adjust the angle after landing flat off a drop or if I land sloppy off a kicker. So suck it up!

Similar Products Used: Many other small lights
john hawkins   Cross Country Rider [Nov 11, 2007]
Strength:

Nice bright light is visible from distance. Waterproof! Does not die if used in the rain

The tool-free mount sucks. I mean, it really sucks. Every time I go over small bumps or ruts the light ends up flopping down and pointing at the ground about 4 feet in front of my wheel.

The light is bright enough to do its job of keeping you seen on suburban streets at night. The 50m waterproof rating means I can use it free from worry that it will fail in the rain like all the others I have used before it. However, I would not use it as my sole source of lighting.

Unfortunately, the tool-free camlock mount is a complete failure - I simply cannot keep the light pointed in the right direction. Pointing at the ground is no good - unless it points parallel to the road all its other great features are useless!

There is an optional screw-lock mount made but my country's national distributor does not import it. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Similar Products Used: Multiple other brands that have all died from being used while riding in the rain