CatEye HL-EL320 Lights

Five LEDs and Opticube lens technology make the new HL-EL220 a perfect light for hops around town after the sun has set. Use the flashing mode in city lights shine the constant beam in dark patches.

scooby214   Cross Country Rider [Dec 02, 2011]
Strength:

Long batterylLif; good flashing mode visibility; good mounts available

Beam spot too small; very dim spill light; included mount doesn't work well with some oversize handlebars

The 320 was a pretty good light back when it first came out, but many newer, brighter options are now available for reasonable prices. The 320 still works well as a daytime flashing light. The beam is too tight to light the road well in the dark, especially when an oncoming car's headlights cause you to not see your side of the road. Before switching to a brighter light, I used the 320 together with a Cateye HL-EL135. The 135 has better spread but less beam, so I aimed it closer to me, while the 320 had a better beam but almost no spread, so I aimed it so that the beam hit the pavement just past the edge of the 135's beam. Worked pretty well, but not half as well as my current Serfas True 250.

Similar Products Used: Serfas True 250; Cateye HL-EL135
swtralph   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2011]
Strength:

Bright enough for commuting, easy to remove/install, can buy mounts for multiple bikes at reasonable price from cateye.

screw will work out battery cover difficult to remove

Great light for the price easy to remove/install for the price great buy. Gave my coworker a headache when i pulled up behind with the light in blinking mode, it was too bright for him. In steady mode bright enough to light up the street at 12-15 mph. My adjustment screw in the middle of the mount fell out also. went by my LBS in 30 seconds he replaced it for free just keep an eye on it and you will be fine.

cornell   Weekend Warrior [Nov 05, 2010]

It wasn't quite bright enough for riding at night. Attachment wasn't particularly easy and mount was a pain. Battery compartment hard to open. Batteries a major pain to remove.

bcu000   Weekend Warrior [Sep 21, 2010]
Strength:

The powerful projecting beam is relatively good, the unit is quite compact.

The unit is heavy and the handlebar strap is cheap, flimsy and doesn't grasp bar enough.

This product is rather a good won apart from the worm strap.

Similar Products Used: cateye EL-500
p pusteco   Weekend Warrior [Sep 11, 2010]
Strength:

price

battery cover slides easy

I was runing 1 light only but was wondering what 2 would be like. now I use two and cars actually flash the high beams at me..

CFM001   Weekend Warrior [Jun 07, 2009]
Strength:

Offers excellent visibility. Great balance between bright center light and peripheral lighting (good spread). Solid mounting (does not move once set).

a little heavy with the 4AA batts. Could have used AAA. Other than that, I LOVE IT!

Excellent value for your money.

Similar Products Used: Cateye UNO, another one that I forget the name.
Adept   Cross Country Rider [Feb 14, 2009]
Strength:

Strong, durable

need battery :D

I have replaced the original LED to a Q5 type. It eats the same power, but much more lighter.
I use it in the flashing mode day and night. Every car driver sees the flashing, and let me go. Very good to feel they see me and they know Iam there behind.

USE LIGHT ALWAYS!!

Inigo_Questa   Weekend Warrior [Oct 11, 2008]
Strength:

Bright light, compact, flashing mode, long battery life.

None at this price.

This is a great commuter light. Better value than the EL530, as it is just as bright (I don't believe Cateye claims, and neither does myn light meter) as the EL530, but with a flashing mode. Batterries last for ages.

Similar Products Used: Cateye EL530, Smart Nova 1watt
k v   Weekend Warrior [Sep 11, 2007]
Strength:

it's bright and good. I really only write this to reply to the other posters about how the light comes off the bracket. It is actually pretty smooth. There's a button on the side. Push it toward the center of the light. Then pull the whole light back off the bracket. it takes about 1 second. Don't let that be a reason not to get this quite good light

The battery case is too easily removed.

great light. good price. good side visibility

Mike   Racer [Sep 10, 2007]
Strength:

Bright light given the size, weight and batter life. I purchased 2 of these to be more visible to motorists while riding on the road. I mounted one on the front of the bike and one on the rear. The flashing mode seems to do the job and provide long battery life. Motorists seem to be more aware of my presence.

It is very difficult the get the light on and off of the mount. There are no instructions on the CatEye web site. A call to CatEye tech. support was useless. The person I spoke with, Harry, did not know how to use the mount and did not seem very interested in figuring it out. I currently cannot get the lights off of the bike without removing the mounts.

The mount has a worm drive strap that is flimsy and does not work well. It cannot be tightened enough by hand to prevent the light from turning on the handlebar or seat post.

A screw fell out of the mount after about 500 miles and was lost. CatEye told me that do not sell the screws and that I would have to purchase a new mount.

Great light. Poor mounting system and customer support. My impression of CatEye used to be that they are a high end quality vendor. That has changed. I would not buy another CatEye product. I am grateful that Nashbar has a good return policy.
This is a great light for riders who want to improve visibility to motorists. Don't buy it if you expect high quality hardware or will want to remove the light from your bike frequently.