CatEye Daylite II Twin HL-RC 230 Lights

CatEye Daylite II Twin HL-RC 230 Lights

Twin lighting system mounts easily to your bike, and features two 10-watt headlights--one spot beam and one wide beam.. Sealed rechargeable lead-acid battery mounts to your bottle cage, seat post or top tube with two vibration-proof hook-and-loop brackets. Remote control switch mounts to handlebars, and operates both headlights. Battery is rechargeable at least 150 times; standard charging time is 8 to 10 hours. Lamp units detach easily from their mounting brackets for safe keeping when not in use.

[Jun 26, 2003]
Phil

Strength:

Good light coverage, wide and spot. Easy mouning/removal. Weather proof so far. Relatively cheap. Can point the lights where I need them. Seem tough, no damage from my tumbles yet. Seem to take trails fine, dont shake loose.

Lots of cable... crappy standard charger, no battery mount options

I like the light coverage, and the ability to turn on or off either light as needed. handles trails fine. I have had no problems with cable connectors, actually they fit so tight sometimes I dont get them in all the way!! There certainly is plenty of cable. I ditched the standard charger straight away for a trickle charger...plug in and forget!! The switches are actually numbered to match the lights, so what are people going on about what switch does what? I mean really how long does it take to learn the top switch is for the one I normally use ... so the bottom one must be....!!!
I am happy this is a 6V system, so when the battery eventually goes I will buy a 12v replacement and a chopper circuit like from here: http://www.cs.indiana.edu/hyplan/willie/lvr.html to give me longer brighter burn times probably with a lighter battery!

Overall: Works great for me!! Just dont use the charger supplied.

Cateye HL500, lit match etc!!

[Nov 28, 2001]
Sprocketeer

Strength:

I can SEE!!! That and people can see me MUCH better than before, so they clear out of my way without getting startled by my previously more bat-like appearence coming from behind them. All around, this lighting system makes my riding in dark and gray conditions much safer and faster.

The same as with all good lighting systems, the battery is too big and heavy, though after opening it up I believe this is unnecessarily so. The casing for the battery is bigger than a water bottle, but the battery itself is smaller than a pack of cigarettes--this is probably to deminish the effect of low temperatures on the battery's performance, but I think there are smarter ways of doing this than simply making the casing chunky. A more efficient design using the exact same battery components could result in a battery which could be mounted on the bikes stem or other more convenient place, such as under the saddle without comprimising durability. I might actually shave a bit off the casing or make something better.

I'm highly satisfied with these lights, especially for the price. I didn't even realize some of Daylights II's great design strengths until I was mounting it on my bike--which are: (1) the lights themselves are on quick release mounts which don't merely slip on and off, but have push button release mechanisms so they wont become missles during forward impacts, yet they can be easily removed so they don't get stolen;(2) the mounting brackets also have quick release leavers--like the ones on wheel hubs--so you don't need a screwdriver; (3) the lights themselves, as well as all of the mountings and battery casing are made of extremely light, yet highly durable plastic.

The whole setup is about as light as it possibly can be for the price, and all but the battery casing are so small that they can be carried easily in jersey pockets.

Basically, for the price, this is an extremely good lighting system. I think to get a system that is any better would cost $200 or more.

Zefal xsf something-number-something-like that--a very good 4AA battery halogen light whose only weakness is that it eats batteries.

[Mar 04, 2002]
Warren Anthony

Strength:

Bright lights, spot and beam provide good coverage. The lights themselves are solid and can take a few knocks.

Pathetic design on the switch unit - the battery connection cable can actually fall out while you are riding and you can't tell which lamp is which without switching them on. Why does this not clip or screw in? This is criminal design!
No indictator on the battery, so it's going to get overcharged at some point (I think i've already killed mine). The switch box is a naff plastic affair that isn't going to last very long.

The lamps themselves are great, and the beam/spot combination works well. Cheaper than most.

The battery is chunky as the other reviewers have stated, but at least it fits perfectly into a bottle cage and it ain't gonna fall out. It has a crap connection cable with pointless wiggly bit and a dangerously unreliable connection to the switch box.

I just need someone with electrical expertise to make me a new switch box that I can rely on, cos the one supplied is RUBBISH.

[Feb 20, 2002]
Robert

Strength:

this light is absolute crap for many reasons:
1) my friends 5 watt sigma sport is brighter than the cateye's 20 watts combined, making it good for the road only
2)there are too many parts and wires, it takes at least fifteen minetes to set up the light. it did not mount well on my rider bar.
3) the cords keep on pulling themselves out of the lamps
4) the company gave misleading sales information on this product from thier website.

Don't buy this product if you want to ride off road. The light is very dull even on full power. Sigma sport makes a light that is many times better for the money.

a flashlight

[Feb 02, 2002]
Dave

Strength:

VERY bright lights, and the choice for wide beam and spot or both is very useful. Really nice and small and easy to remove if you're parking up the bike. Adjustments can be done whilst riding and they appear to be fully waterproof. Also very lightweight.

No marked way of telling which bulb is spot and wide beam unless you look directly into them which is annoying. The charger has no way of showing how full the battery is so overcharging is all too easy, the cable from battery to lights has an annoying coily bit on it and the battery case is way too large for the battery. Low battery life on terms of both useage and recharging capabilities, my next light will be NiMH.

Overall for £59.99 ($80) this lights are brilliant but the use of a lead acid battery dissapoints. Still, well worth the money I piad for definate, even if I do only get 150 charges out of it. These lights also sell re-badged as logun gun-lamps for £70 per single unit and battery so very good quality lights for not much money. Could do with a better battery though, I shall be buying the Stadium 3 when these go instead of buying a new battery....

[Jan 18, 2002]
Shaun Finning

Strength:

Good lighting. Easy to detach from cycle.

Stupid plastic covering of battery. Makes it too big. Why the coiled cord? You have to wrap it round your frame 5 times, looks like a curly snake!!!

Ok, but silly battery cord and too big case which I have now thrown away and now use the "frame bag " from my old cygo light to carry the battery, but still silly cord. Why not use straight cable ie Cygo?

Cygo light, fantastic but could not get another one.

[Nov 23, 2003]
Colin Swift

Strength:

Bright light! Lamps themselves well made and fit easily into pocket

Swith unit rather poor and fiddly. Falls off too - I gave up on it and made my own! Battery charger poor as noted elsewhere, think I've overcharged my bat as I only get 1.5hrs from it - and the bat is rated at 4.2Ah!

Lights are fine, the unit is let down by the charger switch unit and battery. Got a 6V SLA charger from maplins so going to see if that works better, at least you can plug it in and forget as it wwont overcharge! Also put together a NiMh battery pack with biuts from Maplins - a lot lighter and I should get 1.5hrs from it. Yet to be put to the test... The actual lamps are good, bright and you can see well on dark roads - provided the oncioming traffic remember to dip theoir headlights!

Everready navigator

[Sep 15, 2003]
James

Strength:

price On Off switch good light combo

LAME BATT.

the batt'. is very lame the first thing I did was to go down to the hobbie shop and get six 2400ma "D" cells soderthem together shove them in a watter bottle now I have three times light brightness and I go up to a week befor charging they on for about 8hrs a week and are just starting to loose their intensady, I use a RC batt charger and it keeps my batt. at top notch performance at all time well worth the extra cash. the spot goes 40 to 50 YRDS nice and bright and the flood about 20-30 YRDS and about 140deg visability this is so sweet for the price...

cyg. cheap d cell lights

[Dec 22, 2001]
Thomas von Carlshausen

Strength:

I can see at last, no more sniffing the road on my daily commute to work.

Remote switch is a little on the flimsy side this is the only thing that stops me giving 5 chillies

Excellent value for money. Essetial for anywhere without street lighting.

SMART Halogen light, I might as well tape a lit match to the front of my bike!

[Feb 05, 2003]
kelly

Strength:

it is a good bright light that I can see by. I like the wide beam for off road (used with a headlight) and the spot is good for rosd training.

It's a bit expensive when in NZ you can order a 35W halogen for about the same price. If I had seen Nightlightnings before I would have bought those.

It does what its supposed to, if you remember to keep it charged you won't ever run out of light, but if you want lots of power save money and build your own.

Cateye non rechargeable lights