Brightstar Levin Lights

Levin

Douglas   Cross Country Rider [May 01, 2008]
Strength:

Excellent battery life
Good battery mounting options

Heavy light assembly
high helmet mount

I got this light to use as a helmet light while doing night Cross-country.
I read the comments here about the switch on the battery. so I mounted the battery on the strap of my hydration pack - opposite the hose, (switch down - as it is recessed) and ran the cable through the Hose hole on that side - works a treat.
The cable has two plugs, one near the bulb, one near the battery. This is great. I can detach the helmet from the pack, and detach the battery for charging, and do creative things with cable routing.
But the bulb assembly is really too heavy for a helmet light. I'd like to mount it low to avoid catching branches, but that puts too much weight on the front of the helmet. ( the light protrudes 80-100mm in front of the helmet )
The Light mount has swivel left-right as well as up-down, and it's not designed as low-profile, so, if i mounted it on top of the helmet (with the bulb horizontally, the top of the bulb would be 10cm (4inches) above the helmet.
I'm probably going to mount my nightflux HID on the helmet and put this on the bar.
Ok, the filters are a good idea, but they are flexible plastic that are held in with a 3mm thick plastic ring that locks in the front of the bulb - which cuts the field of illumination (at least 1m off the edge at 10m). I decided I'd rather have a wider field of view, so left the lock ring and filters at home.
The Illumination is as good as my nightflux HID, and much better battery life.
(well the nightflux is only rated at about 2 hours and I got the 3.5hr version of the Levin)
the light housing doesn't get very warm, I was able to grab it and point it up or down, to chat to people without worrying about getting a hot hand
So. It should make a great bar light, But I wouldn't recommend it as a helmet light, unless you've got good neck muscles, or a helmet that's got a bit of weight at the back that needs balancing ;)

Similar Products Used: Nightflux hid
allen mack   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2008]
Strength:

Price, great burn times, with round battery, over 4 hours. Light output.

Both mounts, connector, power switch on battery is a minor nuisance. Fragile lamp, my one lasted about 30 hours.

This light does give a good beam for the price,Far brighter than any of the cateyes I had, but the one I had did not like being ridden on rocky terrain. (Maybe I was just unlucky)Pefect for unlit roads and smoother forest trails. Burn time was great and the car charger could be a handy accesory.

Similar Products Used: Triple shot, double shot, triple shot pro.
Ryan   Cross Country Rider [Jan 07, 2008]
Strength:

High output and long life

On off toggle switch is on the battery pack, not the light fixture.

The light performs like you would expect an HID to perform, Very bright, this one is only a little dimmer than the NiteRider, but has a wider view. I would definitely recomend this light to anyone who cannot afford to spend the 250 on an HID, but the light switch being on the battery pack irritates me to no end, because when riding at night with friends I like to turn it off while waiting for others so as to keep from blinding them and to conserve battery. Batter has run for 3 hours straight without dying though.

I am rating based on HID's only, as they are in their own group. This is not the best HID, but will certainly outperform most Halogen or LED based lighting systems.