Blackburn System X8 Lights

System X8

Blackburn's System X8 has the power, versatility and reliability to get you where you want to go. The dual 3 watt Luxeon lights, you have both a wide angle and narrow beam light pouring out up to 170 lumens. Plus, you can adjust the lights from flashing to 100 to 70 to 30% power to use only the amount of light you need, saving battery juice. This great light also boasts a small, light, frame-mount Li-Ion battery that's reliable and powerful. And, the X8 won't overheat or fade with time thanks to Blackburn's Constant Current technology. There are also easy-to-use quick-release handlebar and helmet mounts, too.

Aussiebikeboy   Weekend Warrior [May 22, 2011]
Strength:

Well constructed lights and mounts

Poor quality workmanship in the circuit board. Have had to have the dry solders fixed twice by a third party. Fortunately he was able to fix it both times.

Look at getting something else that is brighter and cheaper.

Similar Products Used: Magic Shine 900 lumens
sweetfilly7   Cross Country Rider [Oct 09, 2010]
Strength:

Solid construction, easy to mount

For xc, your helmet-mounted light is crucial to see around tight corners and switchbacks. For the Blackburn X8, you have 2 lights and one battery, you can either mount one on your helmet, or two on your bars. It's just not safe to do one on each as you are essentially attaching your head to bike.
But the single helmet-mounted light just not bright enough. If someone is behind me, the Blackburn light is not strong enough to fill in my shadow, leaving me unable to see directly ahead of me. I have since bought a stronger light (with smaller battery!) for my helmet, and saved my Blackburn as a 'loaner' for friends without lights.

Decent light system, better suited for handlebar-mounted commuting than helmet-mounted cross country.

Similar Products Used: Light & Motion Stella 200
Trevor   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 2010]
Strength:

Good construction, Good light output for commuting.

Battery died only after 14 months with very little use. No reply from Blackburns customer service.

Look at getting something else.

avioknight   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 2010]
Strength:

The light is bright when it is working.

I have two of these and the first one had trouble after a few months of use and the customer service said since I bought it from Amazon vendor they would not cover the warranty of one year. So, I bought a second one so I can replace the first one by exchanging it from a different dealer. After I got the second one, the first one started to work fine. Now after 6 months are so both lights are not working. When you push the button for a light, the light goes on and then off, but won't stay on. Both sets are like this and I think it is because they are both defective. NEVER buy a BLACKburn product!!! The battery pack appears as if it is leaking a bit because I do see some shiny glossy lock when i ope the connectors to the wire. This would mean the batteries are bad, but why does the lights go on and off without me pushing the buttons and when I do push them they don't stay on.

Blackburn lights stink (I have two none working lights that are hardly used and is not working) and their warranty is worthless.

Similar Products Used: I have two of these Blackburn X8 and both are not working.
CK   Weekend Warrior [Apr 06, 2010]
Strength:

Good Beam, Rugged

Charger broke after less than a year.

I've owned numerous Blackburn products (System X8, System X4, Flea) The bottome line is: DON'T BUY ANY BLACKBURN PRODUCT! The charger for this system failed in less than a year. I wrote their customer support and it took three emails to even get a response. Their response was "you can buy another charger at this website." HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

caseym   Cross Country Rider [Aug 12, 2009]
Strength:

good beams, many settings, quick setup and fastening

bad battery. don't ever expect blackburn to help you if you have trouble with this light system. while their website says that they still manufacture this light system...THEY DON'T as it is discontinued...but it is still on the website?? anyways, look elsewhere if you want a solid light backed by solid customer support.

See weaknessess above as it details the bottom line on this product. It would be solid if the company had a reputable customer support program and quit the false advertising. At this point I wish I would have never bought the product now knowing the product would not be supported. Sorry blackburn, but this is the last time I will ever purchase or even recommend one of your products.

Similar Products Used: nightrider,
mikkelz   Cross Country Rider [Jul 16, 2009]
Strength:

Light quality (clarity) and strength (distance). The actual light housing, brackets and recharger all look & feel solid to withstand tough mountain biking conditions and should last a lifetime. The "SuperCharger" which is meant to maintain and increase battery life is appealing.

I've recommended this set of lights to all my family and friends.

S_Owen   Cross Country Rider [Mar 27, 2009]
Strength:

Excellent Value. I actually purchased the Blackburn X8'SL' system (not X8), with 240 Lumen Luxeon lamps, and extended run time. Easy to use smart charger. Nice bright Spot and Flood lamps with intensity adjustments (or strobe). Easy set-up on bike, and run-time is more than sufficient for 1.5hr commute.

Charge plug-in socket on battery faces frame tube which it is mounted to. Requires loosening battery in order to charge. I over tightened the handle bar mounting clamp, and broke the clamp near the hinge. My fault, but clamp could be beefier. I called Blackburn Customer Service, and told them "I screwed it up", and they were nice enough to not only replace the broken mounting clamp, but they also sent a spare clamp.

Excellent - excellent value (MSRP was $260) $125!

I could not find this much light for this price, in other brands looked at. I recommend this system, it seems very well designed. Do not over tighten the bar clamps, and there should be no issues. And, obviously Blackburn offers pretty decent customer support.

I had some additional questions and correspondence with edicountbike regarding the product, and they were very friendly to work with.

Similar Products Used: n/a
Christopher_CK   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2009]
Strength:

Super Bright Light, Li-Ion Battery, Current doesn't fade, Comes w/ two handlebar mounts and a helmet mount

Doesn't mount itself to the bicycle

Great light! I read all of the negative reviews about the battery on the X6 and decided to pass on it (even though it was SOOO cheap). I decided to go with the X8 and was IMPRESSED during my first (and second) night ride w/ the light. It's a good buy.

Similar Products Used: only lesser lighting systems
shredbetty   Cross Country Rider [Dec 31, 2008]
Strength:

Bright light, long lasting battery, weather resistant, good wide beam and spot, easy set up, fast charging battery, variable beam strengths with strobe option (great for making yourself visible while commuting through dense fog).

Clunky battery, only one battery so using lamp on bar and lamp on helmet is tricky since they both have to connect to the same battery, cables a bit unwieldy.

Good light set for use on very dark trials at an incredibly reasonable price, illuminates all the roots and rocks and crevices in the trail; lasts for a very long time excellent for extended night rides; maybe a bit intensely bright when you come across on-coming riders (I recommend just cupping your hand over the lights to minimize blinding your fellows, if you come across on-coming cyclists). This seems to be a variation on the older VistaLite Nightstick, which has a nearly identical but updated design for lamps and mounts, but which came with more than one battery so you could connect your helmet lamp to a separate battery and stick that in your back pocket. With this Blackburn set, you get only one fairly clunky battery which you either use to connect to your helmet lamp or to your handlebar lamp, but if you try to connect both to that one battery then either your head is attached to your bike (if you mount the battery on the bikeframe) or your handlebars are connected to your jersey pocket with cables wrapped all around you (if you have the battery in your pocket). A bit of a silly "choice" constrained entirely by the design.

Similar Products Used: Cat eye everything, VistaLite Nightstick.