Blackburn System X6 Lights

Blackburn employs the technical advances in emitter (LED) technology by Luxeon to deliver a high quality system that maximizes light and run time. Built to tackle a solo 24 hour event or several commutes, the dual three watt Luxeon lamps have 3 run modes – 30%, 70%, 100% plus a flash mode. One lamp is spot, the other is wide beam. Run time varies from 20 hours (dimmed) to 3.5 hours at full intensity. Included are 2 handlebar mounts, each fits standard or oversize bars and 1 helmet mount. Blackburn’s Constant Current technology maintains full brightness throughout the battery life; the digital charger delivers a full charge in 4.5 hours. The 5 cell battery pack is a lightweight NiMH (3600 mAh).

owen cox   [Jun 29, 2014]
Strength:

Dual lights to maximize coverage

Battery

I have converted my night riding bikes to dynamo hubs and have an X6 setup free to a good home. As described in earlier reviews, the LiIon button battery needs to be replaced to renew the charging function. Contact me at owencox gmail

Pete Andrews   [Sep 02, 2013]
Strength:

Well made, look cool, easy to use.

Large battery, not as bright as many competitors

I have owned a set for 4 years and these lights have served me really well. I came on the net to see if i could find some more up to date and brighter LED bulbs. On reading the reviews I thought I would mention in response to peoples battery problems. Have a read of the instructions, this system is designed to leave plugged into the mains. the digital charger will then trickle charge and maintain the battery. they can be left plugged in 24-7 365 days a year if you want. This way they are ready to use and should last a good 5-6 hours with both lights on full power. I thought I would mention it.

LB   Weekend Warrior [Nov 22, 2011]
Strength:

Great system for riding at night. The dual lights can be angled and adjusted to meet my needs. I used to bike to work in the winter when it was totally dark, this system made the commute not only safe but possible. Where I live there are NO street lights, so dark is dark. With these lights I could see every bump and hazard early enough to avoid it. It's simple to charge and held it's charge well. Easy to remove the battery pack when it wasn't needed. Has High,medium and low modes to save battery power.

It was a wee bit of challenge to put all the components on my bike, but the instructions are clear.

I would buy this again, but don't need to, glad I have it.

Similar Products Used: Tried other one-light systems, but this unit was really key.
sewanee06   Cross Country Rider [Mar 24, 2011]
Strength:

None, really. As others have said, the packaging was cool looking and the lights look pretty good too

Customer service

I bought this setup last year and used them two or three times. Boxed it up for the winter and pulled them out the other day to get em ready for the first night ride of the season...nothing. The charge light doesn't come on when I plug the battery in...even after sitting plugged in all night. I honestly thought it might be the outlet so I tried 3 different outlets in my house and got the same result.
I called Blackburn hoping to at least get a discounted replacement battery...again, nothing. I was told that the warranty expired on the battery after one year and that they didn't even make the product any more. One year after I bought the system new and they no longer support it? Seriously? Wow. I will make it a point to steer clear of any Blackburn products in the future.

Similar Products Used: N/A
Tritonlad   Cross Country Rider [Sep 26, 2010]
Strength:

The lights look well produced with plenty of thought put into a versatile package. They clamp fimly onto the bars and perform well giving out plenty of light when using both lamps on full beam although you probably need to supplement them with a helmet lamp if hacking it fast on technical terrain. Great in the woods but on their own not for fast downhill.

The battery! It is bulky and although used infrequently it stopped accepting a charge after only 20 uses. Also you cannot use both bar and helmet mounts at the same time. Product support is poor and Blackburn have dropped it from their website.

Athough offered a replacement battery at a cost of £99 the original was repairable for £2. The battery pack contains a circuit board powered by a CR2032 3V lithium battery. When this goes flat it shuts down the charging system. To replace just drill out the 4 plastic plugs on the side of the battery that has the charging plug. This exposes the 4 size #8 pin head torx screws. Unscrew and open the pack being careful not snap any cables. Remove nad relace the battery and reassemble. Use grease to plug the holes over the screws. It should then work okay - happy riding!

Hopper   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2010]
Strength:

Tough

Battery

I ride at night mainly cause of work, and cause its much more fun blasting down hills in the woods at night, and these do the job great for me, the only downside i'de say is hte dodgey battery, sumtimes it wont charge if ya leave it for a while between uses, so i have to shake the battery pack for a while before it will take a charge.

asanathema   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2010]
Strength:

Great be seen light with mild see where you are going.

Battery, handle bar clips and wires. First battery was doa and it took about a week for return shipping from blackburn to get it working. Life is okay, if you don't run on full brightness and both lights. I'll get from frostburg to cumberland on the highlands trail with enough power left to go on for about eight miles down the C&O Tow Path but by then it's starting to dim to the lowest level and that's about maybe two hours with both lights. Handle bar clips... depending on the flat/riser bar you need to really tighten down the clamps and in cold winter temperatures if you don't carefully loosen them you'll break the plastic when the screw snags it. Kind of user error but it broke with minimal force so...... Using this on my other bike a DB Peak hardtail it works for the first part of the trip, when I've set it up in the house. After school in the cold even with tight/loose and the same tension for some reason the wires are so weak it doesn't turn on, during the ride it might but then shuts off. Having it on the Specialized Epic is no problem, it works......but the setup to tether the battery to either frame is a pain.

I'd buy it again only on severe discount, I like the two headlights, beam I can keep on steady and wide I can set to flash when on the roads. The ability to adjust left and right is nice, but I may just go with another company in the long run due to the hassles.

Similar Products Used: Only Cat Eye be seen lights this was the first seeing light.
s bickford   Cross Country Rider [Dec 30, 2009]
Strength:

They came in a cool looking box.

The battery wont take a charge. I took it out of the box for the first time, plugged it in, came back 5 hours later, only to realize it wasn't charging. I wish I had read the other reviews of this product. If i had, I wouldn't have bought them.

Don't waste your money on these, they don't work.

Brent K   Cross Country Rider [May 02, 2009]

Battery

The bottom line is that the battery wouldn't even take a charge AT ALL. I was stoked after seeing this on sale for such a "good deal" yesterday, but now I see why. This light is crap, and I got more and more upset about it after reading all the reviews. Don't buy it. I am going to return it today. Too bad there aren't negative chilis.