Vetta HR-50 HRM/Cyclometer Heart Rate Monitor

Vetta HR-50 HRM/Cyclometer Heart Rate Monitor

Vetta HR-50 HRM/Cyclometer

[Sep 09, 2008]
Adventure Rider

Strength:

Ability To Go From Bike To Wrist In One 90-Degrees Effortless Twist. Uncluttered Easy To Recognize Displayed Information, Easy Setup, Easy Buttons, Waterproof For swimming.

Rubber button fell out during a ride years later and the company no longer supports this product by simply providing for sale a replacement button! BAD Manufacturer! I highly Suggest VETTA find a source in Asia and get buttons made! Everyone with this unit please email Vetta... with your concern for a replacement button purchase. No PC Downloading Ability.

Find a used VETTA VHR 50 and enjoy the unique painless fast ability to switch from bike to wrist! Exceptional Functionality for riding, training around town... on bike then on foot... back on bike... all the time monitoring the heart rate condition!

Suunto Fitness Trainers (more money, more serious performance)

[Jul 21, 1999]
David Norton

Strength:

Large display, easy to read. Haven't had any problems except the stop watch/ time rest button falling off.

The stop watch and time rest button fell off!!

PLEASE HELP! Has anyone got a spare push button they don't need? I called Vetta USA and they do not have anything to help me. Brain in customer service was keen to help me out but unfortunately didn't have any parts for the VHR alpha model. So I guesss I'm stuck unless someone can come to the rescue. PLease email me a reply if you can help. The model HRM I have is a Vetta VHR alpha. The button is tear shaped and dark green in color.

[Sep 22, 1998]
Chris
racer

I am a member of the International Mountain Bike Police. I have a VHR-50 that I received as a gift about 2 years ago, and I keep it on my duty bike. I don't use the heart monitor at work. The only problem that I have had was after a competetion when I taco'd my front wheel, breaking the wire Nothing that a little splicing and heat tape couldn't fix.

[Mar 16, 1998]
gordon
cross-country rider

HRM-1000Picked one up for $50, seemed like a good deal and since I already own two other Vetta computers that I like, well why not.Surprise, it works well even when I train on my rollers in the garage in the cold. I did notice that it doesn't read well until my skin sweats a bit. It can be solved by using a little KY jelly on the back of the monitor. You just need to provide a good electrical contact.So far, so good.

[Jun 03, 1996]
Luc Hamel
racer

The thing does not work. The sensor for the Hrm is at the very best, imprecise. I tried one last year. It worked only on hot and humid days, and the signal pickup was erratic. Ask your friendly shop if they had any returns of Vetta products. At the shop where I do my business they have had a lot of returns from Vetta computers and HRM. Too bad because the HR50) looks really nice. Buy a polar, work in wet, dry, hot or cold.

[Jan 07, 1997]
Giovanni Franceschini
cross-country rider

I bought a vetta hr-50 six month ago.
It functions well and it is also precise as regarding speed or heart rate.
Therefore five stars for performances.
DEFECTS:
In my opinion the case and buttons are very poor and there is also a little bug: when you push the light button, after the light goes down, the heart rate vanishes and it takes a few seconds to appear again.(two stars).
Averaging taking into account the price four stars

[Dec 12, 1999]
Sobiecki Fabien

Can somebody e-mail the instuctions, I lost mine !

[Sep 19, 1999]
John Legg

Strength:

None.

It's crap.

Bought this piece of $^#*, button fell off two months later. Returned it, got a new one, button fell off two months later. Returned it, got a new one, button fell off two months later. Returned it, store (MEC in Vancouver) told me they were no longer carrying the product due to quality issues and they gave me my money back. Went and bought a Polar (should have done it in the first place).

Polar XTrainer Plus

[Jun 24, 1999]
Axel
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Good concept

poor quality of the mechnical components.

I like to have only one cyclometer on my handlebar und i like position over the stem,
where it is out of the way. The number of functions are ok for that price.
But after some month i lost 2 of 4 buttons and it's hard using the vetta. Lately the batterie
loses contact all the time, or the hole think crashes without any reason. I guess that makes
it impossible to use it on a mtb.

[Mar 06, 1999]
Kevin Neustadter
cross-country rider

Bought the HR-50 in early '96 and thought it was a good deal ($100 compared to $150 in other catalogs). Actually bought one for me and one for my wife. My HRM failed to work out of the box and sent it back. they took care of me relatively fast and the one they sent me worked as did my wife's. They both worked for just about one year until my wife's stopped working. Sent hers back and was taken care of under warranty. Actually received two from Vetta and was going to send one back, but my unit lost a button (after the warranty expired). Vetta, of course would not help me at all due to the expired warranty, so I decided not to send the other one back. I sent the extra new unit to my brother (who probably does not use it at all) and decided I could make mine work with a paper clip to change modes. It seemed to work well over the next year, even after changing the battery once. I recently had to change the chest transmitter battery and it worked for two weeks and died.I called Nashbar and Colorado Cyclist (as well as several local runners and cyclists) and asked their opinion of Polar vs. the others. Everyone recommended Polar. Polar's chest transmitter (2 year warranty, and will probably last 3-4 years) is sealed, so no moisture can get in. When the battery dies after the warranty expires, you send it back to Polar and the send you another for $40. Seems pricey, but it is worth the extra headaches and if you do the math, it probably will be more cost effective in the long run (if you have to buy a whole new HR monitor every 2-3 years). I chose the Polar Protrainer NV ($140 at Colorado Cyclist, $150 at Nashbar), but I recommend any Polar--pick the one that fits your needs vs. budget.Don't buy a combination HR monitor/bike computer. If you need a HR monitor, buy a Polar. If you need a bike computer, buy a good cordless computer like the Cateye Cordless or Cordless2 (I own one and like it). Even though I don't like the Vetta HR-50, I did like my Vetta C500 cordless computer (older, square model). I still use this computer even after 5 years and a broken fork mount--I just zip tie the sensor to the fork.I give the HR-50 a one rating, only because I can't give it a zero. P.S. I have one or two spare (new) handlebar mounts for my old HR-50 if someone wants them. Maybe a trade for something.