Vetta Alpha-50 HRM/Cyclometer Heart Rate Monitor

Alpha-50 HRM/Cyclometer

Vetta Alpha-50 HRM/Cyclometer

Dan K.   racer [Jun 07, 1996]

I used to own the HRM 1000, and it broke on me twice and then stopped working. I, against better judgement, got the new alpha 50 mainly cuz it was kind of cool looking and I though vetta would have it straightened out. Not. Very unreliable and the signal is about 5-8 seconds delayed!! I returned it and got a Polar Favor.

Darrell McMillan   Racer [Jun 30, 1999]
Strength:

Works, inexpensive and easy to read.

Button fell out, large.

This heart rate monitor does what it's supposed to do. I never have problems getting an accurate reading while exercizing. I have had a few problems with getting a reading while laying on the couch. My only complaints are that it is too big and bulky and one of the buttons fell out.

Michael   Weekend Warrior [May 19, 1999]
Strength:

Where do I begin...

I've tried everything. Replacing batteries, using electrolyte gel, wearing the transmitter upside down. The bottom line: this is the most expensive plastic wrist watch I've yet to purchase. Heart Rate Monitor my butt. The readings are so erratic that I've found myself registering 200 bpm while walking to work! Don't even get me started on how it works on my trainer.I'd put it in a box for two years totally turned off from heart rate training. I've since ressurected it in one last attempt to get it working. It didn't. Now, thanks to the Internet and this site I can let the world know how terrible this product is. Now if only I could find some way to contact Vetta. You can run but you can't hide...

Les S   cross-country rider [Oct 14, 1998]

Similar experiences to other reviewers. HRM worked for a while, then no good when running. Now won't even work when I'm virtually static on my turbo trainer. What a waste of money ! I haven't seen it advertised in England lately nor do I know who imported it. I don't want to give this any stars - how do I make those flaming dog turds appear? I'll give it 10 of those.

Gilles Blackburn   cross-country rider [Aug 06, 1998]

It worked fine for one year except for getting water inside when it was raining, even if ligth rain. I replaced the watch battery first and the transmitter lately. It did not work properly since, giving readings for a few minutes and then going into hibernation. It is not worth the money I paid for it!

Craig Kahn   racer [May 14, 1998]

This unit worked well for about a year but then my heartrate would read too low or too high. I replaced both batteries (transmitter and watch) and now the thing doesn't work at all! When it did work I could only use it for biking (mtn and road) - it wouldn't work when I tried to use it while running. Also, if my bike position was wrong (hands too far from my chest) the transmitter wouldn't work. I recommend spending a bit more money and get something that work's better.

tony   weekend warrior [Mar 14, 1998]

poor, erratic; works best when not moving or breathing hard. Have been unable to get a phone number of address to complain or return this thing and buy a Polar.
This thing looks like a Polar but has never worked well. The box nor the instructions provide any U.S. address or phone number. Anybody out there have any info? My next step is to put it in the trash and consider it an expensive lesson.

Charles   cross-country rider [Oct 18, 1996]

I would not recommend this HRM. First of all, the transmitter is very insensitive. It would only transmit signal for about 20% of the time. I first thought it is because I am a relatively skinny person, thus I let a friend of mine, who is of moderate build, try it. No luck, the transmitter still cannot make good contact. I also tried changing the battery, but that did not work either. Also, compared to the other brands (Cateye, Polar) the transmitter is too bulky and uncomfortable. The alpha also picks up other brands' transmitter signals as well, so if you stand by a friend who also has a HRM, both of you might be reading his or her heart rate. This won't happen with other brands like Cateye. The wrist piece, although looks extremely high tech from the pictures, in actuality is very cheesy. It is made of cheap plastic equivalent to those of Micky Mouse watches you would buy for 5 bucks or less. It doesn't update the signal from the transmitter very promptly; there will also be an annoying delay of approximately 5 seconds before the actual heart rate registers. Don't even mention those ghastly buttons and the really low-end looking digital display. Overall, poor quality and extremely poor performance for the price I paid ($70). After giving it two months to prove itself, I have now returned it and purchased a Polar Accurex. I would give the alpha no stars, but 1 star is as low as the scale would go. For the equivalent price of $70, I would highly recommend getting the Cateye HB100 instead of this poor excuse for a HRM.

N.Komen   cross-country rider [Nov 23, 1997]

This is my second one in one week, with the same problems. Random heartrates, if any. I hope I can get my money back, so I can look for a Polar.

Robert Slepicka   cross-country rider [Apr 26, 1998]

My Vetta VHR50 never worked again after the battery in the watch was changed. I tried 4 batteries, but after 2 weeks each of them ran out of power. So I can forget my nice lookong VHR50. I go now and get a POLAR. Has anyone got an address or link to Vetta Company?