Sports Instruments Circuit 5 HRM Heart Rate Monitor

Instruments Circuit 5 HRM

Circuit 5 HRM

Douglas Montgomery   Racer [Mar 28, 2006]
Strength:

Working great after about 8 years of use

I am sad to report that Bill Corliss died Saturday in a cycling accident near Park City, UT.
More information is available on velonews.com.

He will certainly be missed.

Similar Products Used: polar
Don Bouldrey   [Mar 01, 2002]
Strength:

Accurate, usable, inexpensive. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

None with Bill Corliss on the job

I've owned a "Frestyle" HRM for quite some time that developed a problem early on with the "set" function. The heart rate function and stopwatch always performed flawlessly. Last week, on an internet search, I found this forum and learned my unit was made by Sports Instruments and I learned of Mr. Bill Corliss and the service he has provided to users of this forum. I contacted him by email to see if he had any tricks to make it function properly. Indeed, he did. He emailed me back almost immediately and asked if I would send the unit to him so he could fix it for me. He also requested I send him the transmitter so he could check the entire system and refresh all the batteries. I shipped it off to him only last Thursday and when I checked the mailbox today (the following Friday) it was back already. Apparently the long-standing problem with the "set" button was terminal because I found that Bill had replaced my old Freestyle with a brand new Sports Instruments model. Needless to say, the unit funtions perfectly and I'm back in the HRM business.

Bill, if you read this, THANK YOU, and rest assured if the the time comes I have to replace this unit, I'll most certainly replace it with a Sports Instruments.

Regards,
Don

Similar Products Used: Brand P
Sebastian Rozkuszka   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2001]
Strength:

Great price
Many features tha brand that cost 3x as much dont have
Very easy operation
Good display

Goes out under power lines
Chest strap had to stay exactly in place
Chest strap had to be tight

Good heart rate monitor for beginners and people on a budget.
Does go out when strap moves to much or when under some heavy power lines. Also does not work with women who have large chest (does not work for my girlfriend at all)
If your low on money and cant afford a Polar this is a model that'll get you by!

Similar Products Used: none
Matt   Racer [Jul 29, 2001]
Strength:

Offers as much info as HRMs 2x as much. Accurate, durable, time in/out of target range. Different displays depending on preference. Comfortable chest strap.

Will sometimes flake out around power lines

After using Polar products for 4-5 years, the ECG 5 is a solid change. It is much more reliable than Polar and you don't have to pay $40 to have the battery changed. If you're looking for accuracy with a ton of features...get this HRM!

Similar Products Used: Polar Pacer
Cyrus   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 07, 2000]
Strength:

-Nice price! I got this for $100CND at MEC and it has served me well.
-Durable
-Looks nice too.

No light

This is really the only thing you need in a heart rate monitor, nothing more or less. Compared to others, the price is its main advantage.

Similar Products Used: Polar accurex
SGT ROCK   Racer [May 26, 2000]
Strength:

Stone cold reliable
Accurate
Long battery life

Funky strap
Watch face not abrasion resistant
A little pricey

Absolutely reliable, never gives false readings, never a transmitter/reciever problem. Only gripe is that the strap on the reciever works well for attaching to handlebars, but it sucks as a wrist strap. Fortunately, I never wear it on my wrist (my running days are long gone). Batteries are still going strong after 14 months.

Be careful with the receiver - the display is not very abrasion resistant.

Similar Products Used: None
Don   Racer [May 26, 2001]
Strength:

Customer service is A+

The product itself seems to have inherent flaws in design or construction...or both. See below.

This is another followup from 11/28/00 and then 4/06/01. I got my HR monitor back from Bill in early April. It worked great......for a week. Literally 7 days. Then, I noticed the "glow" light wouldn't turn off. I tried unsticking various buttons, etc. Wouldn't work. I emailed Bill, he was gracious enough to call almost immediately and offered AGAIN to fix or replace. Said the buttons sometimes get "burrs" on them and stick. Anyway, its race season, and I really don't have the time or energy for this anymore...It costs a week and $10 to Fedex it out...Sports Instruments has fantastic customer service, but I really feel the product needs to be retooled, with heavy emphasis on user input regarding design and usage.

Marla   Cross Country Rider [May 23, 2001]
Strength:

Customer Support/Service Rules!
Affordable with variety of functions

I purchased this heart monitor on-line appx. a year ago. About 6 months into use, the heart rate display wouldn't work. I replaced the batteries as instructed, and still no luck. I chalked it up to a bad purchase through ebay until I stumbled onto this review sight. Sent my monitor to Bill and within 1 week received a new watch back with no questions asked. Monitor works perfect! Thanks SI!

Eric   [Apr 04, 2001]
Strength:

Very Reliable
Great Customer Support
Many Functions (Stop watch, timer, ave HR, zones, etc.)

None found yet

My watch died about the same time my old HR monitor kicked the bucket (black display in the summer heat). I was given $100 gift cert. for Father's day and couldn't decide whether to get a watch or a heart rate monitor. The SI Circuit 5 gave me both! Shortly after purchase, the mount for the band broke when I was strapping the HRM on my bars. I Sent it to SI and quickly received replacement, no questions asked. I use it on the bike when I ride, and I wear it as a watch all day long. Sometimes I monitor my HR at work. I see some really low numbers, especially in boring meetings.