Polar S150 Heart Rate Monitor

Polar S150 Heart Rate Monitor

[Sep 03, 2007]
Francesco Tognini

Strength:

Big easy to view display.

The transmitter from the heart monitor never really worked. I sent it to Polar when it was in warranty, they returned it, after 1 week of use it was the same. There are other things I do not like about it. Not practical. Yo cannot empty or discard the memory without a PC.

I would not buy this product again. When you have a problem its your problem. Cannot get a hold or e-mail anyone. Just no reply. I like equipment that works. I am prepared to compromise with simpler equipment as far as it is reliable.

Cat eye is much better

[Jul 29, 2007]
Rick

Strength:

Not many. The watchband is comfortable. I guess that's a plus.

Reliability is horrible. The stop button works about 1 out of 10 presses, only if pressed WAY in. No backlight. Horrible customer service.

There's a reason that the online retailers are dumping the S150 at 50% off. Because it is a piece of unreliable junk.

Stay way, way clear of this one.

Garmin Edge, other Polar HRMs

[Mar 17, 2006]
Dirt Rode

Strength:

None. There are much better HRMs for the money that are more reliable.

Its a Polar.
Customer Service at Polar is pathetic.
Hard to use.
Didn't work.

On a three hour ride, I had the old Polar S150 freeze up and offer non-stop beeping for two hours straight. Couldn't get the ringing out of my head after the ride. Only way to stop it was to reset it and lose all my data (again). Happened more than once. Good luck getting a hold of Polar, and when you do don't expect any help. Lucky for me Performance took it back. I can deal with an occasional product failure, but when the company leaves you out to dry when you try to resolve it...forget it. This cat will never buy another Polar product again. If I could give less than 1 Flamin Chili I would.

Sports Instrument

[Feb 14, 2006]
Duane Leach

Strength:

Accurate heart rate monitoring and strong pickup

It is very complicated and hard to memorize how to use it. It is a total failure as a bike speedometer. It worked for a total of three seconds.

It is not user friendly and does not work as a bike speedometer. Surely there are better and easier watches than this.

Circuit 5 by Sports Instruments

[Sep 19, 2003]
Maarten

Strength:

Integration of HRM with bike computer.

1- The buttons have very bad tactile feedback. It's hard to sense whether you've successfully pressed a button, which is irritating when operating the unit while riding. No other cyclocomputer I've used is so clunky in operation of basic features.
2- I get a lot of interference from overhead powerlines, especially in the city. The HRM will peg to 222bpm. Not a huge deal, but does make the average HR reading useless.
3- There are three readouts on the display: one for the heart rate, and two for bike functions. Changing one of the 2 bike displays occasionally affects the other--hard to explain concisely, but VERY irritating.
4- When using autostart (and who doesn't?), if you take a long break (>15min?) the computer will time out, which will reset the ride time and average speed. Not what I want.
5- The watch doesn't settle into the handlebar mount easily; I have to strap it down VERY tightly or else the contacts from occasionally lose touch and the computer will think I'm not moving.

With limited space on my handlebars, I wanted a two-in-one unit, and that's what this product delivers. However, compared to other cyclocomputers it's definitely a big step down in usability. Since the S150 doesn't really have any features that integrate the two sides, like data download for speed v. HR graphs, you might consider keeping your regular computer and getting a (cheaper) separate HRM.

Several other cyclocomputers, but no other HRMs.

[Jan 16, 2003]
Max

Strength:

Ergonomics, display spd +HR + lap time, 3zones, lots of feature

Speed measurement not working reproducibly.
Crosstalk.
Not easy to use.

I found it to be a big step up from the Protrainer XT.
However, the speed meter does not work anymore which makes the whole instrument useless.
I don't know what to get next.

Polar Protrainer XT (same problem)

[Aug 20, 2005]
Ian Lomax

Strength:

The HRM is great, I've had zero problems with that and it seems to be pretty darm accurate. I ride alone to work and back everyday so I don't have to worry about the crosstalk.

I found the buttons and the whole setup easy to use after I messed with it a little bit. The reaction time of the buttons is a little slow but it works good for me.

I was pretty upset with the way the mount on the handle bars. I have not yet been able to use the MPH feature because the watch will not make contact with the sensor unless I press down on it, so I will be taking that off since it doesn't work. Errrrrr.......

It was a good price for a product that has quite a bit of features. I mainly purchased it for the HRM and that is the part that works great. I really like the wireless.

I would give this product a 6.5 -7 on a scale of 10.

If you want to monitor your MPH then I would suggest getting the old school speed monitor, one that only reads speed, not HR and all the other fancy stuff.

[Jun 01, 2005]
Peter

Strength:

Works well as a HR Monitor and the strap with it is compatible with other HR moniters, includding those on running machines

As a cycle computer it is a poor choice. The connection between the monitor and the holder frequently breaks down and the display is very poor.

Choose a Cat Eye - bike computer makers know the wear and tear bikes go through. I'm getting the CC HR200DW

Cat Eye

[Sep 13, 2007]
Neal

Strength:

Cheap (especially at 50% off). Does the job.

Bike mount requires that you crank it down

I ignored the negative reviews and went for it due to the low price. I am not sorry.

Works great on the road, swimming (yep, even underwater), and running. My only gripe is that you have to tighten it a lot for the speed to register in bike mode- but once you do it works great.

[Aug 15, 2003]
elmo

Strength:

very accurate, it's not big so you can wear it too.

only records the last session

Now I have data of my training, of course there are better products than this one, but for that money including polar tech is a great buy.
I suppose I'm new on cycling but for an entry level rider its great.