Polar S120 Heart Rate Monitor

RafalSC   Cross Country Rider [Dec 21, 2008]
Strength:

Very convenient, pretty (beautiful) appearance. Signal of pulse gets back fastly. Capabilities of setups of zones a lot pulse. Waterproof (I'm swimming).

Electronic engineer (electronics) are hinged (are suspended) . As beep of zone it sometimes start up get silly.

I mentioned center (means) at distributor already twice and it gets silly further. At least case (together; time) is hinged (is suspended) on week. It does not lose signal of pulse relatively to sigma often so, but space shows for it warotosci b.p.m e.g. 220-230. It does not show sigma of such value ( 2006 BCMHR, pc 14 ).

Similar Products Used: Sigma MHR 2006, PC 14
soupedupcivic   Weekend Warrior [Aug 23, 2008]
Strength:

Looks. Comfortable to wear. Three target heart rate zones. Lap timer function.

Struggles to get an accurate HR reading when it's cold and I don't sweat, but that's not really the monitor's fault. Side buttons a little difficult to press. No back light.

A great general purpose heart rate monitor.

Greg   Racer [Jul 02, 2003]
Strength:

The polar is very versitale and has many features. HR zones make it easy to knwo where you are during the ride, recovery HR lets you know when you get back down in your HR. The file feature lets you acess what your HR rate data was for the last ride. I use this mainly for road riding and racing but is helpful when trainig off road as well

No back lit dispaly feature, Transmitter battery cannot be changed-- has to be exchanged through polar

This HRM is very nice and has everything you need unless you want olyimpic caliber data from your HRM.

Similar Products Used: none
Gene   Weekend Warrior [Dec 10, 2003]
Strength:

Lots of bells and whistles.

Manual stinks as it was seemingly designed by a 2 year old with an attention deficit disorder. There is NO quick start anywhere in the book so one must plod through the whole book to just find a heart rate. The function buttons on the side work when they want and not always when pressed.

I am taking the retarded pooch back today (within the 90 day window allowed by Sport's Authority) and ordering something else (probably online) after I review this site and others.

Jacob T   Weekend Warrior [Dec 29, 2003]
Strength:

Affordable, one touch start, easy to use, large display that you can see the time of day, HBPM and your run time all at once. Seems to be easy to use, not sure why others found this one hard to use. Self explanitory if you play with it for a few minutes. BONUS, I used for the first time on a stationary bicycle and my HR displayed on the bikes screen. May also work with treadmills and other Lifecycle products.

When you use the HRM in close proximity of others with transmitters on you get aronious readings, would be nice if the transmitters were coded to the recievers.

Buy this one if your looking for something simple, versitile and affordable. Great entry level monitor

Similar Products Used: Polar A-5
JP   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2003]
Strength:

Both the transmitter and the receiver are durable and comfortable. Crisp display. The range of functions is thoroughly thought; you get all the essentials plus some more advanced features. Great timing functions. Nylon case included. Possibility to transfer exercise setups and logos from PC to HRM.

No backlight - only for daytime use. User interface is quite complicated. Memory for one exercise only (accidental keying may overwrite needed exercise data).

S120 is a true no-nonsense heart rate monitor. If you don't need an automated fitness test or cal-burn functions yet want some advanced HRM features (such as % of Max HR and several HR zones), S120 is the monitor to opt for. It's also the most inexpensive Model of the S-series and offers great value for the money. Highly recommended.

Similar Products Used: HRM mounted on exercise bike
Chris Blanchard   [Apr 02, 2005]
Strength:

Price, easy to use, it has all the featurs that i need. One touch start. 3 training zones. Easy to read display.

No back light. The manual is very weak. You get an in accurate reading if your around other riders with monitors.

For the money this is a very good HRM. It doesn't have alot of the features that the more expensive polar HRM have, but for what i use if for it is fine. This is my fist polar HRM and so far it has worked great. If your just starting out or looking for a good entry level HRM for the money i would recomend this product.

Similar Products Used: Timex HRM
JP   [Sep 18, 2003]

Now that I've used this product for some six months I wanted to post an additional review. There seems to occur an oddity commonly among Polar HRMs; The display appears in odd colours if exposed to direct sunlight. Also, goggled trough sunglasses (clip-ons in my case) the display might be unreadable due to some darkish twirls. I noticed this on my S120, too. Most likely it's some quality of the plastic causing this phenomenon. The amber-coloured background of this specific model just might affect the problem. I thought I was a bit hard in my first review, giving only four chilis (great) as overall rating. Having this new problem, maybe four is closer to the truth now. But it doesn't change the fact that S120 is an excellent HRM.

john   Racer [Aug 06, 2003]
Strength:

I concur with the other viewers this has all the essentials, some of the gee thats cools, but none of the really whizzy stuff. I am pretty much a techno weenie at heart but usually that lasts until I completely figure a toy out then I primarily use the essential functions.

Others listed the interface as a weakness, compared with the 2 other Polars I have owned this interface is very intuitive. Admittedly when you first approach it you will scratch you head - give it a little time along with the manual you should be a pro in about 15 minutes.

Not sure it will have any - just got and set it up today and will start using it in earnest tomorrow - will post if I find something unbearable.

If you are new to HRMs - go for this - if you need more doodads later give this one to your wife.

performancebike.com has this for $89 - free shipping and no taxes if you order from the read phone in the store and another 10% rebate if you are a team performance member - $80 you cannot beat that deal anywhere.

Similar Products Used: The first Polar product I purchased was the Protrainer NV about 5 years ago. About 4 years ago I decided I needed a backlight on the HRM. So I purchased the Protrainer XT and gave the NV to the wife who is still using the NV. I soon found out the backlight was a hassle - try riding at night and fumbling with the backlight button(have to hold for maybe 2 second). Now I use a Black Diamond headlamp stapped to my helmet - this thing burns LEDs and runs on a single AAA - very light and helpful for changing flats.