Polar Heart Rate Monitor Protrainer XT Heart Rate Monitor

Heart Rate Monitor Protrainer XT

The Protrainer XT is the answer for any athlete or crosstrainer who is looking for advanced feedback about his/her workout. The option exists to add on a speed sensor kit and give you speed and distance information along with heart rate. The coded transmission will ensure that the cyclist or runner that trains with a group never experiences 'crosstalk' with another heart rate monitor. Perfect choice for the serious runner.

Roti Chanai   [Sep 21, 2000]
Strength:

Fairly accurate readings, backlit screen in cool blue background

Not the most user friendly to use, the wrist band came loose on the first day of usage (the damn thing fell on the the floor, luckily no damage), does not measure your cadence and mine does not come with the bike speed measurement component (which I believe is std in US)

The thing works fine for its intended purpose. The instructions booklet is terribly written (I guess the excuse is that it was written by a Finnish?)

It is not cheap and value for money is not all that great.

Similar Products Used: None
zack   [Jan 14, 2001]
Strength:

Lots of features

This product is a piece of crap. It broke right after my initial review.

Anybody in the market for a Heart Rate Monitor would be better off buying a different brand!!!!!!!!!!Just after i purchased this monitor i joined a gym. It seems just about everything interferes with the signal.(The coded transmitter is a joke) I also started riding different paths. Been getting bogus readings from the monitor, sometimes as high as 240 beats per minute. This monitor only lasted about 6 months, in fact i just got done shipping it off for repair.It wont pickup any signal. I didnt even use it that much. Do yourself a favor and purchase a Timex or Sport instruments HRM. You'll be happy you did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Similar Products Used: Timex,Sports instruments
Duane Gran   Racer [Nov 07, 2000]
Strength:

Nice display
Accurate HRM feature
Comfortable to wear
Excellent storage and retrieval of info

Cycle computer feature seems cheap
Manual is hard to follow

I use this product every day in one form or another, be it to measure my waking heart rate or to monitor my training. Although I haven't used it for a long time it has aided my training immensely. This particular model is pretty easy to use, but the user manual is hard to read in spite of having illustrations. I have given up on the cycle computer features of the unit. As other reviewers have pointed out, it will reset itself with 4 minutes of inactivity and has an unnaceptable lag time.

I really like the unit, but the cycle computer features are no substitute for a real cycle computer. Because I bought this to monitor my heart rate and it does this well I'm not dissapointed by the shortcomings in the cycle computer issues. It does exactly what I wanted, and for that I'm very pleased with it.

I was able to get a good price on the unit by purchasing through eBay. I paid $122 and normally it sells for $150. Although I got a good price, I think $150 is too high for this device so I'm not ecstatic about the value, but I am very happy with the product.

Zack na   Cross Country Rider [Sep 29, 2000]
Strength:

Lots of features
reliable
coded transmitter

User cant replace battery in the transmitter
The user manual is worthless.

The primary reason i bought this monitor is because its made in Finland. I get tired of buying the unrealible crap thats made in China and Hong Kong!!!!!Also, the price of Polars has been slashed recently, so their prices are alot more competitive. This unit has lots of features. It has 3 time zones so u can have different workouts and not have to change the limits. If it weren't for the horribly written
manual and the non user replaceable batteries i would definitely give it 5 chillis.......................

Similar Products Used: polar
Simon   Racer [Jun 02, 2000]
Strength:

Accurate readings
Coded transmitter (no interference)
Usefull functions
Light weight
Cycle computer was included with the package

Cycle computer transmitter has a data lag of about 2-3 seconds
If you ever leave the monitor alone for more than 4 minutes, the monitor loses the transmitter’s frequency and you lose all stored data.

This is the protrainer XT cycle, that comes equiped with the cycle computer ad-on. This is a very good piece of equipment. The heart rate readings are very precise and reliable. Good product. The cycle computer ad-on is great. Who wants to have 2 computers on their handlebars? The monitor’s functions are all very practicle : time spent above, in and below heart rate training zone, max and average heart rate, max, average and current speed, total distance, stop watch, lap counter, recovery time, etc… Also neat functions : you can choose rapidly between 2 determined wheel sizes (for different tire or wheel sizes) and between 3 different heart rate training intervals (for different training workouts).

On the bad side, the lag in the cycle computer shouldn’t be there for this pricy equipment. It doesn’t keep it from working well, but still at this price...

The only real anoying thing is that if you leave your bike for more than 4 minutes (the heart rate monitor being on your handlebars), the monitor loses the transmitter’s frequency. You then have to start a new training session in order to regain the frequency which erases all you heart rate data and stop watch info!!!! You lose everything accumulated to that point! This can be avoided by remembering to take the monitor with you if you leave the bike. You just need to change your habits!

Overall, this is a very good procuct. It gets 3 chili’s for value because it’s expensive and has some glitches that equipment this price shouldn’t have, and 4 chili’s for performance because of the anoying erasing of the data.

Similar Products Used: Vetta HR-1000
mark   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2000]
Strength:

very accurate from the start

none if you treat it with respect

i think protrainer xt is perfect for someone who just wants thier heart rate,splits,night light,recall,heart rate limits & lots of storage, otherwise you need to be a total gaget freak to go for anything more,which is out there for more bucks.plus the bike odometer option is really cool. if you like to max while trianing a HRM is a must.

Similar Products Used: polar vantage XL
Scott Simpson   Weekend Warrior [Jan 26, 2001]

manual,price,DOSN'T WORK PROPERLY,blue color

The only thing about this HRM thats halfway desent is the
bike computer.The manual sucks and took what seemed forever to figure out how to use the many features. Every time I used it, the heart rate would go crazy. Sometimes it was when I fisrt put it on my HR would be 200+, I tried reseting it several times and it would still read 200+. Other times it worked fine at first but after 10-20 min. on the trail it would start going crazy, 160-238-140-195-238 and sometimes staying on 238 for several minutes. I don't
belive I,m getting interferece becase there is nothing around the trail system I ride to cause it. My LBS is great
and took it back for a full refund after almost 3 months.

Similar Products Used: SPECIALIZED BIKE COMPUTER (GREAT PRODUCT)
mr polar   Racer [Jan 26, 2001]
Strength:

tells you info

Bart Simpson

This is the best piece I ever bought ! Bart Simpson (below) is a complete Idiot fro Tenn. No wonder, to much in-breeding

Similar Products Used: all
Chris Wentz   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2001]
Strength:

It has lots of features like 48 lap mem with average hr each lap, and it's a cyclocomputer too. 3 target zones are good, and it has a backlight.

When i use it with the bike computer it spazes out for a little while, then its ok for the rest of the ride. maybe it's normal because after a couple minutes it's ok.

This monitor is great because it does everything I need, except for download, which I don't need. Good memory and display that is user selectable. Becides the cyclecomputer being a little sketchy for a couple minutes it works great. Maybe I got a new model because my manuel was easy to read.

Similar Products Used: Pulse 2, polar basic.
Philip   [Aug 24, 2001]
Strength:

Cycling Computer is a cool addition, and the monitor has lots of extras. Doesnt look cheap.

Complicated to figure out at first, the cycling computer has a long delay time.

This heart rate monitors has the feature of the $200 plus models, but becuase Polar came out with a new series, you can grab one for about $100. That is great considering the file information that you can call up on this monitor after a workout. Avg rate, max rate, time above/in/out of zone...The readouts have been consistant and accurate for me, as well as my riding buddies that also have them. Dont be worried about your pals having the smae model, we have gotton no crosstalk since using them.

In addition, the bike mount that comes with this Polar is acutally made of hard plastic, instead of the foam turd that comes with the cardiosports. IT actually looks pretty cool on the bike.

The only problem with the mount is that every time I eat sh** on the trail, the monitor takes a thump. So far it has held up pretty well.

My only gripe is about the cycling computer. IT has been a little testy, and I havent been able to figure it out. My distance is off, and the time lag is severe. In addition, the computer transmitter is made of heavy metal, and for a weight weenie like myself, it was amazing to see how much heavier the transmitter was than my old specialized computer. To add insult to injury, the spoke magnet is the largest and heaviest that I have ever seen for a cycling computer.

The bottom line: If I broke it, I would buy another one for sure. ANd once I get the cycling computer to work, I will be thrilled.