Polar A3 Heart Rate Monitor

A3

• Large easy-to-read display
  • Personal target heart rate zones
  • Manual and automatic heart rate limit settings
  • Heart rate Zone Pointer with alarm function
  • Fitness bullets
  • Shows your heart rate, exercising time and average heart rate

• User Reviews (7)

Frankinator   Weekend Warrior [Oct 05, 2002]
    Strength:

Very intuitive set up. Simple operation. Multi display gives constant HR info (by linear gauge) and other info (TOD, exercise time, %).

Setting the time requires you to go through a bunch of steps (easy to follow but long on procedure). But you only have to do it once.

I DON'T use this for riding. This is my running HR. It works great. Gives me the info I need. I sometimes miss the lack of a chronograph function. Other than that, it's perfect for my needs.

3 Chilis because it's pretty pricey (like most POLAR products)

Similar Products Used: None
    jerome saucier   Racer [Dec 26, 2002]
    Strength:

Simple, easy to use, Big number, simple basic training information but enough for my neads

The !"/$%? vendor told me that my cordless Cateye computer would not interfer with the signal of the A3 - Of course it did so i have to go back and they don't let me have my money back know, I have to buy there another more expensive heart rate monitor. (I'll go for the Protrainer XT because it is the cheapest with the "no interferences" feature.

Go for it if you don't already have a cyclocomputer that will make it go nuts.

Allison   Racer [May 14, 2003]
    Strength:

some memory capacity
    allows you to train in a specific zone

the receiver blanks out from time to time and i'm not sure why

I never go out for a ride, run, or xc ski without my hrm. I worship it,even if it freaks out sometimes. It definately helps me get the most out of my training. I choose the a3 over the a5 because the difference in price wasn't large. I'd recommend it for anybody who wants to get faster.

Mitchell s   Cross Country Rider [Mar 29, 2002]
    Strength:

Didn't work right out of the box.

Getting a full refund as this is my second HRM (other a cardiosport) and the display just freaked out with all characters on. Went normal until you just about finished setting the time, then blam... back to freaking out. What a piece of sh@!.

Tony   Cross Country Rider [May 14, 2002]
    Strength:

East to set up. Easy to use. Basic monitor.Nothing you don't need.low price.

Basic monitor. No max heart rate data.

This is a basic heart monitor with minimal data recording info. it is good if you are tyring to stay in a set zone, but it does not have some features that an anal techno-wanker type might desire. if you dont want to spend a lot of time setting it up this is for you. if you want to spend more time pushing buttons and staring at the display than you do riding, this is not for you. It does not down load colorful flow charts with useless info to your PC, but it can help you train in target zones that you can set.

Similar Products Used: none
    ilakano   Cross Country Rider [Nov 20, 2002]
    Strength:

Got a deal on this at REI. I like to use on hard rides to gauge my fitness and for the trainer or spinning class to make sure I'm getting a workout. It's simple and if it breaks, I won't go into convulsions that the techno geeks do when their 200 dollar monitor doesn't work.

A simple tool for cyclists/mountain bikers more interested in riding than evaluating data.