Ciclosport HAC 4 Heart Rate Monitor

• Altimeter (barometric)
  • Bike computer
  • Sportwatch
  • Night-Light Display
  • Temperature (current, min, max)
  • Speed for skiers / snowboarders (current, average, max.)
  • 64 hours storage
  • PC - Evaluation (as component)

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 12, 2003]
    Luke

Strength:

All functions in one. Altutude, heart rate and bike functions.

Customer support.

After having used this product happily for more than a year the bike functions suddenly stopped working. I sent it in for repair through my local bike shop over two months ago and the only answer I get is that they are working on it.

While I was very happy with this HAC 4 I'm now very disappointed about the customer support. They offer a three year guarantee on this product. I hope I have mine back before these three years are passed.......

Ciclosport CPL-10, Polar

[Mar 26, 2007]
    Steven McCauoey

Strength:

Multitude of functions. Software download of stats VERY useful. Altitude profile with stats overlay (heartrate, temp, incline, etc) very nice. Monthly and year balance charts great for tracking progress.

Mouting hardware is a joke. Had to bolster it with zip ties. Mounts for wireles wheel transmitter and display module broke after 9 months from vibration. Software GUI is HORRIBLE. Very non - intuitive. Ride time stop watch zeros at 10 hours...and zeros out rides miles too!

Very nice functionality but the software needs to be re-done.
    USB interface is very slow and poor. Overpriced.
    Mounting hardware not robust enough.

Avocet - 50

[Sep 04, 2001]
    Jarda

Strength:

Mentioned before.

After a couple rides i discover, why it sometimes stop to display proper speed. Trensmitter on fork slip down a bit and magnet mounted on spokes goes out of range of transmitter detector. Better fastening of transmitter helps a lot.

Still thinking, thats really good device.

[Jul 12, 2001]
    Stefan

Strength:

Features, to exploit one really needs the PC-Interface!

Price (includes the cadence sensor)
    Radio bases heartrate transmission fails close to railways
    Sampling rate of 20s (competition already allows to select down to 5s, I usually do not need the 64h memory, 8h would be ok)
    Radio sensor for speed needed even if cadence sensor
    is installed
    PC-Software lacks some exporting capability

Bottomline: I would not want to ride without it anymore
    Great bike computer, though some headroom for improvement: personally I`d prefer the Alti414M solution
    having both speed and cadence transmission via cable
    Regarding the PC-Software: saving the tour data as pure
    ASCII would be a nice feature, the scaling of the curves
    could be optimized
    Started with Ciclomaster Alti414M, which provides almost
    same features (whithout the heartrate & providing less watch
    features), lost it lately :-( and `upgraded` - unfortunately
    neither the PC-Interface nor the bike mount is compatible -
    so I had to replace them as well :-((.

Ciclomaster Alti414M

[Apr 10, 2001]
    Jarda

Strength:

was mentioned before

none for me

Locking mechnismus on handlebar was significantly improved. I have had a few collisions :) and HAC was still remain on his place. PC interface is the must have. Till now i^ts looking great !

Suunto Altimeter - have non cyclocomputer functions, nor PC interface and cyclocomputer

[Nov 06, 2000]
    Bostjan

Strength:

Easy to mount, easy to replace battery, easy to read all recorded files on PC, lot of data, statiscics and nice graphs on PC, seem to work(as long as it works properly) quite exactly (altitude, temp.)

makes not much sense without PC connection, 20 sec intervals at data recording too long, poor stability on handlebar holder, high battery consumption, not coded HR transmition...

I actally wouldn't recomend anyone to buy this product as long as manufacturer won't solve some problems. Here are some problems I had with the Hac4:
    1. I've lost HAC4 at allmost every landing after (small)jumps on my first ride so I decided to fix it additionally with elastic band. Poor solution according to high price of the product, looks terrible and covers part of the display. But it works and it's better than loosing it. (there's no replace-warranty in case you loose it!!!)
    2. after less than a year using it, temp. and altitude doesnt work well (shows much too high temeratures and altitudes).
    3. sometimes no Bike fuctions can be set or read allthow mounted on handlebar holder!?
    4. this is not a real problem, but I'm sure, it could be better: making top speed of 80 km/h for few sec. means, you 'll see on HAC4 top speed of about 75 km/h, because of 20-sec. recording intervals - so watch display during the ride to get real top speed and good luck, haha...

Sigma pc6, Polar X-Trainer

[May 01, 2000]
    Savvas Anastassiou

I'm writting in on behalf of a friend of mine. He bought the Hac 4 and he mounted it on the special handlebar bracket. When he tried to press one of the buttons of the HRM he accidentally pressed the bracket's relise button and the HRM fell on the road and the rider coming behind him ran over it. It wasn't working after that! Fortunatelly we sent it back to the manufacturer and he e-mailed us that he will repear it.

[Jan 16, 2000]
    Daniel

Strength:

Altimeter works great. So do heart-rate monitor, speedometer, temperature display. This device is waterproof and can be attached to both bike or your wrist. It comes with a radio-transmitter for your bike. The HAC4 stores some 50 hours of data, which can later be analyzed using a PC-Interface and software. This is a REAL training feature!

Little bug: every new year the Year jumps for 2 years, instead of one. Ouuuuch, what a terrible bug ;-)

After purchasing the PC-Kit, you're able to see nice graphs of your trip. It's interesting to see every traffic light on the computer screen (speed=0). You also see your heartrate going up when climbing, the number of climbs on your trip. Btw, all data is recorded every 20 seconds. Onscreen you can then see altitude,speed,temperature,heartrate, and a lot of other info... and you can compare your route to others (eg to see if you're getting better)
    I use this device for running, too. Although I accidentaly dropped it a couple of times, it's still working great and probably the best device for serious cycling!

Some Polar heart-reate monitors, Cateyes altimeter-speedometer.

[Jul 12, 2005]
    Jason MacDonnell

Strength:

Wonderful device for HR and PWR training, use it with GPS device (eTrex) to get lots of training info on any bike I ride. Whatever I can't get on HAC, I use from GPS in Excel spreadsheet by matching fields of data. Perfect for the geeky cyclist! Love being able to change batteries, no sending it away. Pretty straight forward hardware, software takes a bit of thumbing through but is very useful. Great training journals in ciclotour and ciclotrainer.

Vulnerable on handlebar, loose in carriage. Lots of scrolling to get specific info, but with good planning...all you need.
    When I changed the battery, the altimeter/temperature went crazy. 3 year warranty, so it was replaced. Changed the battery again, and guess what? Same problem. Bad luck or user error? Replaced again but if goes bad a 3rd time, I will have to decide whether or not to go to Polar.

Absolutely love the product...If it would remain in working order. Best used on roller trainer for road riding, very consistent data analysis for HR and cadence/speed improvement. Not as useful to me in MTB since vitals and terrain are very erratic. Still many functions on it that I have yet to learn about. Highly recommend it, but be aware of faults.

[Sep 28, 2006]
    Matt

Strength:

-All in one hr/altimiter/bike functions

-Customer Support
    -Quality

Ok, So where do i begin... I got this little toy for christmas, i open the box and the battery is dead. Ok, fine. so i replace the battery. I go out for my first ride (im in southern ontario) in January and it freezes up and dies (well, it was cold, but if its gunna die in the winter, why all the ski/snowboard functions?!?!). So i come home and pull the new battery out and pop it back in to get it running. Then.. i go to take my bike off my repair stand and one of the buttons falls off!

I work at a shop so i was able to call our distributor (Veltec USA). They sent me a new face plate. But, the face plate they sent me was the wrong one... ok. So i took a button off the one they sent me and put it on the old one. Everything was great from there.

Then one day im reading our new catalog and realize "wait, my parents bought the PLUS version, wheres my cadence and download stuff?!?" so after searching around the shop, we realize that Veltec had shipped us the wrong one, we got a regualr instead of a Plus. So back on the phone to Veltec to get the hardware. They shipped me the software, but no hardware... Well, what good is that???

By this time were well into the season so i lost intrest in fighting with them. Then in Augest it dies AGAIN and wont re-load. So i ship it back and they ship me a new one. The new one agian comes with a dead battery and the altitude/temperature sensors are WAY off. So, They then ten tell me wait until just before Interbike and they'll ship me a new Hac 5. So thats cool.

So last week i call them and ask about the Hac 5's. Oh, wait... their purchase order is for JANUARY 2007!! So, its either send it back and wait or sit with a dud hr monitor.

The problem is still on going to this day.

Bottom Line, DO NOT under any cercomstances buy this product!!! if you would like all these features, wait until the Hac 5 comes out, from what i have seen it should be MUCH better...Or, buy a Garmin GPS or Polar

Polar