CatEye CC-HB100 Heart Rate Monitor

CatEye CC-HB100 Heart Rate Monitor

The HB100 offers a full-function cycle computer and heart rate monitor in one easy-to-use design. Features such as Current Heart Rate, Average Heart Rate, and Upper and Lower Limit signals provide some of the best heart rate training information available. Included with the owner's manual is a section on basic heart rate training. This information can be used for everything from helping you to win the local bicycle race to riding to lose weight.

[Apr 26, 2012]
Kenneth Smith

Strength:

Has great display, easy to read for a 62 y/o (somewhat Myopic) man. Has all of the necessary parameters and none of the stuff that's that is only needed by a Cat.1 racer. The instructions are clear and concise, easy to use. Great price (with all of it's features).

The adjustment on the fork sensor is critical. I wrapped electrical tape around the fork to enable me to tighten the sensor more securely, as the rubber wraps are somewhat difficult to install,especially for an old man.

I was an avid cyclist, 150-200 miles/week. Approximately two (3) years ago I suffered a heart attack that really slowed me down. I was told nothing could fixed. A year later they were able to place a stent and I now feel able to start riding again. I needed a reliable speed/heart monitor. In the typical CATEYE tradition this is a quality unit at a reasonable price. I have owned a CATEYE CS-1000 trainer for nearly 20 years and they replaced a computer for free after 15 years. I can personally attest to their QUALITY CUSTOMER SERVICE. If ever I am searching for an accessory I will search the CATEYE database first. Another victory for CATEYE.

I have used 3 similar products in the past. Of all of them the VETTA was my favorite. Unfortunately they no longer make that unit.

[Jun 27, 2001]
Roger Partington

Strength:

Integrates HRM and CC into one unit. less stuff on bars and good value. Good features and functionality. Fairly easy to read

HRM crapped out after 2 weeks and then the replacement after 3 months. Warranty support in Canada was poor. Sticks up too high on handlebar

Stay away. The HRM doesn't last and the warranty support is poor. Also the reset buttons sometimes stick down.

Cateye Micro, Vectra and older cateye models

[Jan 08, 1997]
Richard Abbott
racer

I've been using my Cateye for about 1.5 years (got it soon after they first came out). For background, I've also owned an old Polar, Vetta VHR50, and Vetta HR1000. Basically, the Polar worked the best, but the Cateye is pretty close. I've had a fair amount of trouble with the Vetta giving erratic readings (or just plain breaking). The Cateye's battery goes dead kind of quickly. Like everyone else, I accidently reset it sometimes. The buttons sometimes get grimey and don't work too well, but just washing it fixes this. I miss the time above in and below heart zone. In my opinion average HR is a worthless feature because it doesn't differentiate between hard sprints with recoveries in between and just cruising for a while at moderate pace.Show I give it 4 marks for functionality (I'll reserve five for the Polar) but only 2 marks for the features.

[Apr 03, 2001]
Sean

Strength:

Cheap

This thing is a piece of junk

This thing is a piece of junk. The HRM part quit working after three months, so I replaced the batteries in both units. It still didn't work, sO I warrantied it. @ months later... Same story. This is my third one and it has crapped out on me as well. An inexpensive piece of equipment is wno bargain if it doesn't work. Spend the extra money on a Polar!

[Feb 03, 2003]
Otto

Strength:

functionality/price

- clumsy if used as wrist HRM
- wheel mag sensitive to adjustment
- HRM monitor only works if you're really sweating
- wire based speedo

Had no major problems after more than 3 years riding in any condition. Battery efficiency suprisingly good.

[Apr 01, 2003]
Barry Evans

Strength:

all in one cycle computer + heart rate monitor
reliability(still using after 5 yrs)
It is a great entry level unit.Serious racer types may want more features.

has had a couple of new mounting bracket /sensor kits but at least you can buy parts easily.This is not really a weakness it is just life on a mountain bike.
High Tension overhead wires interfere.An understandable occurence.

Easy to use,wet or dry no problems.Reliable and parts available. Oh 2 screws on back of HRM transmitter went rusty.Not bad after 5 years.

nil

[Sep 14, 1999]
kristo

Strength:

Price
Possibility's

Absolutely useless when it rains!
The push buttons really sucks (they simply don't work anymore after riding in the rain)
I've just crashed in a dark tunnel in Austria,Krimml Waterfalls and everything was ok except the wire is broken!

It seems this computer whith cheap price and great possibility's is only made for INDOOR racing.
The push buttons aren't working!! in the rain, and this seems a real PROBLEM with CATEYE computers (my friend has another model, with the same bad results. NEVER CATEYE again

some 10 dollar computers are much better than this one.(but without heart rate poss.)

[Jul 15, 1999]
Willy

Strength:

Everything in one unit

Sticks up a little high

Yeah this thing sticks up a little but I use riser bars and they protect the unit. Cateye has one major problem, they are a PIA to install on bikes. I've installed 3 now and you think I'd learn, but NOOO. Anyway the thing works great and it's nice to only have to worry about one thing stuck to the handle bars. Lots of features I really don't care about but better too many than not enough.

SI HRM & Cateye Computer

[Apr 22, 1999]
John Mc

Strength:

Mainly the cheap price and, like other Cateye products, simple to set up and reasonably simple to operate.

Big and bulky - sits up high on the bars and would be the first thing to kiss the dirt. Also the flimsy wire and sensor.

Bought from local bike shop after being shown this one and several Polar models - all of which were more expensive and most had more features than I needed for occasional training runs during the week and cross country fun at the weekend. The ability to change the chest belt batteries is a big advantage over the Polar units (having to send the whole thing away to change the battery was a big turn-off). This seems a pretty basic unit. It works like its supposed to etc. etc. HOWEVER after 6 months I got sick of worrying about smashing the thing every time I dropped the bike and took it off and put my Cateye Enduro back on. Its cheap, compact and has a sturdy wire.

[Mar 30, 1999]
Dave
Downhiller

Strength:

Cheap! around $50 here in Japan on sale. Very reliable. Big readable display.

HR functions are limited.
Resets too easily.

I use this unit in training on a cycling road here in Tokyo. I've used it on a daily basis and it has performed very well for me. This is the second unit for me as the first one went on the blink and acted sporatically even with a battery change after about 2 years. I have not had the trouble with the powerlines that others have mentioned with the second model. I did notice that the first unit started to be affected by powerlines close to the time it finally died. Initially I had trouble getting a reading with the HR and found that in addition to putting some water between the skin and sensor, I needed to shave a strip of hair from my chest so that the chest sensor would make good contact. After that no problems. I would like to see some improvements in the HR functions like a beeper for low and high ranges in HR. Maybe even average time spent within the HR zone the user defines. Although not quit as fancy as a similarly equipped Polar unit, it's SEVEN times cheaper!!!

Different seperated heart moniters and Vetta cyclocomputers