Cardio Sport Excel Sport Heart Rate Monitor

Sport Excel Sport

Excel Sport

Russell Seaton   Weekend Warrior [Jul 23, 2000]
Strength:

PC download feature. Does almost everything under the sun.

HR recording intervals are limited to 5, 15, 60, 120, 180, 300 seconds. I wish there was a 30 second interval. Most of the features are worthless for me.

This is my second unit. The first one had trouble downloading shortly after purchasing. New one has not given an error when trying to download.

download feature is wonderful. If you just want to know what your HR is while riding, get a $50 unit. I use the HRM as an expensive toy basically but if you really wanted to do serious training with it, the download feature is indespensable. I just use it to look at the graphs and max HR and a few other statistics it provides.

Instruction books are easy to understand. Controls on the watch are also very logical and easy to use. Only time it stops working is when I am driving. Apparently the metal in the car or some other signals interfere. Not a big concern though.

My 3 months of use have been in some cool weather and in some really hot humid weather. Sweat or cool weather doesn't seem to bother it. I use the wristband, do not mount it on the bars.

At $220 from Performance Bike, including the download unit, its a pretty good price. If you don't want the download, then spend $50 on a unit. Also, get one with a memory feature so you can review your performance and HRs later, even if its just using the display on the watch. How are you going to tell what your max HR was without a memory feature?

Similar Products Used: none
OVERALL
Trials Boy   cross-country rider [Nov 15, 1998]

I got these for a couple of weeks and they work great. WAY too much function (2 zones, sampling, heart rate recovery zone, memory playback, night light...etc.) for what I need and has all the functions of more expensive Polars. Only drawback is that range is only adequate (doesn't really matter unless you have arms like Gumby) and it's only water-RESISTANT (i.e. swimming with it is not recommended). There's also a PC model which you can upload records to your computer.
I got it from Health and Fitness, which I highly recommend since they have great service and the best price around.

OVERALL