Garmin Edge 705 GPS

Garmin Edge 705 GPS

Garmin Edge 705 GPS Cadence/HRM: Trainer. Navigator. Edge 705 pushes you to do your best, then shows you the way back. This GPS-enabled cycle computer knows no limits. Get heart rate, cadence, turn-by-turn directions, power data the works.

[Apr 27, 2013]
Zeroack

Strength:

Made for cycling. Easy to navigate menu. Custom displays.

Mounting. I wish there were a few more options for mounting.

I bought a 705 used off of ebay and absolutely love it. Great for laying out routes, tracking and reviewing workouts. I won't lie. It took a little getting use to navigating the menus. I'm still trying to get it just the way I want it. So many options for your output.

[Apr 23, 2013]
JW Haupt

Strength:

Easy to use. I bought the bundle with HR monitor, cadence/speed sensor and maps at a good price and it has all the functions that I need and then some. Good battery life, with the ability to charge from my PC USB connection after dumping rides to GarminConnect and/or RideWithGPS. Easy to upload and download routes. Turn-by-turn directions when riding a planned and loaded route. You can set it up for multiple bikes and customize the display screen for each bike. For example, I have cadence on display for the road bike, but not for the mtb. The unit is durable, tough and dependable.

Minimal weaknesses that I have found. It does what I want it to do. Text on some of the screen is large text, so entire file names can not be displayed. Be careful when naming files so the first 10-15 charachters are unique.

I used Cateyes for years, then wanted something that would record and transfer rides and ride stats as well as allow for me to load it up with routes that I created to follow, both road and trail - this fits the bill. I've been using it for 2+ years now (since 12/2010) and have logged 300+ rides and have no complaints. I found it real easy to upload routes developed in online mapping programs, such as RideWithGPS and Garmin's site. Turn-by-turn directions are by an audible tone and a graphic on the screen telling the to turn right or left, etc. Most online programs recognize the device and will upload/download files in either direction. I has many more features that i know are there, but haven't had a need to use. Given time though, I'll find a need for the other features.

I recommend this for anyone wanting a dependable, tough and rugged GPS unit to record rides and upload routes to follow.

Cateye cycling computers

[Nov 23, 2010]
miss rides a lot

Strength:

Color screen, mapping, routes, tcx files that are easily read/uploaded to Garmin Connect, Training Center, WKO+, TrainingPeaks, ability to select smart or every second recording, ant+

No temperature, larger/heavier unit compared to 500, no touch screen.

The 705 still in my opinion is the gold standard for Garmin's products. It seems more versatile with regards to file type, mapping, and data options (e.g. smart recording is an option, not a requirement). The battery life may not be as good as the 500 or 800, but it never let me down with a dead battery on 8+hr mountain bike rides recording every second.

Files are quite large with power/HR readings every second, but it is nice to be able to see all data in Excel with no smoothing and without proprietary software.

No other issues with this unit. Very highly recommended in my opinion.

Garmin 500, 305, 800

[Oct 25, 2010]
ADP-EDH

Strength:

Light, easy to use, easy to set up, more bells and wistles than you actually need.

None found

I only get out about 4-6x per month but am always interested in my fitness level, ride time, etc... This thing does it all and then some. I use if for my mid-week runs too with the same benefits. I don't know why you wouldn't want it all. If you are going to buy the basic GPS, man up and spent the extra NOW instead of wanting forever. If you want to be a tool and geocache you can do that too. but really?

[Apr 05, 2010]
Frank

Strength:

Interface with computer

The above mentioned product strength is about the only strength. It is useless stand alone in the field.

I don't own a Garmin myself. I considered buying one. But after using it quite a period with a friend who owns one, I wait till it does what I need.

The point is: it works beautifully if you download a track or route from the internet AND STICK TO IT. But how many people do just that without deviations or mistakes. There is always a nice inviting other track.

Last week we were at the Hermannsweg in Germany from Hörstel to Halle and back. Twenty kilometers before Halle we missed a deviation and had to find our way to Halle without any useful directions from our Garmin whatsoever. The device simply does not help you out in the field, only if you stick to the downloaded track from the pc.
However, it is equipped with a GPS and a detailed map, which should enable you to stand in the field and choose on the map a point where you want to navigate to. In my opinion that 's what you buy a navigator for. Remarkably enough Garmin can't do this primordial function. (After one hour more cycling we found ourselves further from the destination than before.) What use is a navigator which does not help you out in these circumstances? I want to choose a point on the map and ask the device to navigate me there, via another desired point or avoiding certain sections (e.g. traffic). For this simplicity I admire TomTom.
So I will wait with buying a navigator till TomTom or Apple produces one and show how the job of navigation is done.

Recalculating a route to your destination is cumbersome. The device seems to keep the original route and all recalculations in memory. Hence is stalls.

You can't edit a route. Garmin has just one, and that's what you have to make do with.

All maps have to be purchased separately. The same applies for necessary software, like mapsource.

If you register a route which you ride, it makes unnecessary many waypoints. You cannot change the interval. At least we have not found out how to do that. As a result Google Earth takes a century to start up because it has to load all these waypoints.

Garmin seems to be fine as a trainings monitor. But that's not why I would purchase such an instrument. I need a route planner.

For the technological level and play factor on the pc: 1 chili.

n.a.

[May 17, 2009]
Coolmass

Strength:

Very user friendly, good display, amazing gps reception. Once you buy the proper mapping software it is the best thing out there

Have to read the forums to figure some of the software out

This thing rocks, as i said very user friendly,those who have bought it and not followed through with the mapsorce and navigator software should take a long hard look at yourself before you complain. Would you buy a new set of wheels and not put tyres on them.
I bought it in oct. 2008, now May 2009. Took me a while to accually sit down and use mapsorce properly,loading navigable rides is not hard,and reloading rides such as favorit trails in the bush is so easy from training centre to mapsorce once you have the file conversion link from garmin, then copy and past as many you like into one mapsorce map and load it onto the sd card in the unit,so simple.
I have used it to find my way round Perth and on the sunshine coast when on the bike with no problem at all.
I particuly like the virtual race partner.
Great to be able to download rides from other sites and up load as well.
I use mainly garmin training centre and motion based to record the data, and keep the unit fairly clean as it does seem to be a little quicker that way.
I give 5+5 because the other bike computers and heart rate monitors round the same price didn't suit my application

[Apr 26, 2009]
george_otj

Strength:

wow factor nothing else does what this does

the software

I pretty much agree with racer2008.

Save your money and wait for a more advanced version (805?) to come along before you buy one.

Using bikeroutetoaster.com I've been able to make courses for myself. This works reasonably well. Trying to go on rides in unfamiliar places used to be kind of scary/adventureous/time consuming. Now I just spend a few minutes on the website planning my course, and the 705 tells me where to go - Very Nice!!! However, I have not tried to deviate from my preset courses yet, and since I do not have the microSD card with the maps I wouldn't be able to. No, the unit only shows my course (in purple) floating in a tan field of nothingness. Occasionally there will be an impossibly straight line representing some main road, but since I like to get out into the country when I ride this almost never happens.

There are ways to install maps onto any microSD (not just the $100 one you can buy from Garmin), but I haven't ventured down that road yet, and it seems like an enormous hassle, if it even works correctly.

Now the big issue: I bought the 705 instead of the 605 or even the 305 because it is able to receive power data from my powertap hub. It does receive the that data. It even *displays* it on the screen as I ride. So far as I can tell it DOES NOT save that data, and there is certainly no way of accessing the power data in the Garmin Training Center software (version 3.4.3).

This is a big deal. What good is power data to me if I can't use it to track my training? Am I supposed to memorize the numbers as they flash by on my screen? WTF was Garmin thinking? The whole point of the 705 is the power data! If it doesn't save the data or I can't get to the data then why didn't I save a hundred or so dollars and get the 605?

I feel cheated.

[Apr 09, 2009]
mountainblur

Strength:

I feel this is very user friendly. I have been able to figure out most of the functions without the manual. Lot of options.

worried about the mount.

Compared to the previous computers, this has been the best. It is easy to set up and does have a lot of customizations available. Spoke to Garmin about using the unit while on a trainer. Mine will show there has been distance gained and he explained it is due to the movement of the satellites and you not moving. Either way definitely better than what I have had in the past

polar and ciclosport hac4 PRO

[Apr 08, 2009]
daxiet

Strength:

Lots of variety in displays, easy to configure, cute gadget. Like the real time profile display.

Bike mount apparently breaks off easily leaving your expensive 705 bouncing down a hill, etc. Snaps off where the cable ties go through the guides.
Reports elevation differently each time I use it. Left home and in 1h40m my house had climbed from 1170m to 1235m (odd, never new the ground moved that much), the day before it was at ~1245m and stayed there for the duration of my ride. So I don't believe nor trust the alt. readings on the device (understand barometric pressure is influenced by weather, but this is a bit extreme). Maps are very old, came out with 2004 revision and no updates available. May as well not pay the extra R800 for the maps, 5 years a lot changes.
Auto Pause also a bit painful and I have disabled it.
HR monitor and cadence work fine, don't think the HR measurement is that scientific, just more a nifty trick.

For the amount of cash you outlay on this device it clearly is not worth it. The bugs vs. functionality vs. price don't do it.

No other cycling GPS used.

[Apr 05, 2009]
adurst

Strength:

GPS, Full Fitness Stats, Etc...Does everything you'd want it too.

Case seems to be a bit under-built, considering it is a bike computer, and cyclist's crash!...maybe should have a road and MTB version...or sell a lexan MTB case mount.

Great product...don't listen to idiots that leave an expensive piece of gear on their bike during transport...heck a rock from a truck could have broken it too!...could be built a bit better for mtb (Just case toughness) and would be great it they allowed running metrics...as I do trail running and don't really want to purchase one of their watchs..just to use the foot pod and get reasonble calories estimation....Great product! wish I had the money for a power meter!

Various, gps units, and bike computers...but my first combined unit.