Zefal Fenders Extras

Zefal Fenders Extras

Front and rear MTB mudguard. Suitable for rigid MTB.

[Mar 01, 2011]
patrase

Strength:

Easy to install, sturdy, seem impact resistant

front bolt only barely long enough. Rear fender occasionaly bounced against rack, although i could have added some zip ties to solve the problem. I no longer run a rear rack so not a problem any more. I cant imagine the rear working on a dually. The front needs a hole in the crown or arch of your fork, so check before you buy

This review is for the Zefal Classsic MTB fenders. I am happy with these, they work well and are easy to install. Just wish the front bolt was a bit longer to mount my reelight on to. Would buy again. I think they are made in france, so you are possibly supporting 'fair trade' if you buy these, as opposed to some chinese made ones.

[Feb 11, 2007]
John

Strength:

Keeps winter water, slush, snow, ice, salt, sand and gravel from putting a line down your backside (keeps your backside warm & dry).

Front fender attachment is weak, The front fender arches so little that it rubs against the bottom of your down tube. No front fender means water on your front when hitting puddles at high speed (during winter thaw).

A great fender to keep your backside warm and dry for the four months I used it. I only used half of this fender kit.
Bottom Line: The rear fender (only) did it's job well to give me comfortable daily winter bike rides.

None. Just took feet off pedals, lifted them up and hoped for the best. Had a back-pack on to absorb water & debris.

[Jan 26, 2006]
Evan

Strength:

Cheap

Didn't mount correctly. Useless

Fender mounted quickly. The set-up was fairly obvious. However, it was at an odd angle. The part behind the fork was so high above the wheel that it hit the downtube. The front part was angled so that it came within an inch of the wheel. There is no easy way of fixing this, b/c there is no angle adjustment. Totally unusable.

[Nov 17, 2003]
Antony

Strength:

Well, it's better to have some kind of fenders on your bicycle. But consider other models.

These plastic "speed clips" are unreliable. Not recommended!

Well, I have always installed fenders on my bikes because I don't like to be wet and dirty after the ride. I bought Zefal Plstic Speed Clips fenders(http://www.zefal.com/anglais/gboutrinang.html) for my old road bike to commute with clean clothes in the rainy town of Seattle. Paid $30 in my local bike shop. First pair of fenders I had to return - they were with defects and couldn't be installed properly. I changed for the another pair of the same full-sise silver mudguards. I prefer to avoid buing cheap stuff, and these french-made fenders seemed to be reliable... I spent more than 2 (two) hours installing these "easy plastic clips"! I have 15 years experience in cycling and fixing bikes. My other bicycle is using full-size fenders without any brand name from Taiwan. I bough them for $9, installed in 20 minutes and using them for 3 years without any complains. Anyway, installing Zefal fenders was a real pain. Plastic clips were scratching the tires and all construction was very unreliable. I'm using Zefal for several months, and I'm not satisfied with this purchase. An occasional light impact is enough to crash all the system. I would encourage cyclists to make a research and consider other model than Zefal Plastic Speed Clips Fenders.

"no name" fenders - cheaper and better.

[Oct 04, 2003]
Kyle

Strength:

Zefal KAA Wide Profile: Cheap, clips on and off quickly, stays attached easily, lightweight

Zefal KAA Wide Profile: Brittle plastic that breaks very easily, so light that it isn't very sturdy despite the brittle plastic

Zefal KAA Wide Profile Fender: Got a great deal on this at Nashbar, and it worked quite well the few times I used it until it broke. The crappy brittle plastic sucks. I bumped it (wasn't even very rough) while loading the bike and the brittle plastic snapped where everything clips together under the shock/fork.. This quick realease clip system works great and would be a great design except that the small pieces required for the clipping mechanism are very cheap and fragile when made out of crappy brittle plastic. 5 for looks, 5 for price, 4 for design, but a 3 overall because none of the rest matters if it breaks right away

Headlands something from Nashbar is sturdier but heavier and not as cool looking

[Jul 29, 2006]
Jason P

Strength:

Looks good, mounts/dismounts easily

None.. until it finally snapped.

Review is for the Zefal Buggy front mudguard. Quite a good product, actually - had it for almost 5 years. Works well for daily riding / "commuting", jumping stairs and kerbs, urban ATB stuff. Keeps the mud and water off my face and clothes. Mounts easily (and is easily removed from) a threaded stub that is inserted into the bottom of the stem. Never had a problem with clearance from the tire / brakes / down-tube. I take both front and rear fenders off when I do serious off-roading - I'm going to get muddy anyway, so why have unnecessary appendages flapping around my bike and getting knocked askew by trees / bushes / rocks. It finally snapped in half yesterday when I fell off while attacking a 70-degree climb, and the handlebar spun around 180 degrees. It's flexible - flaps around noticeably - and I guess 5 years of cyclic fatigue loading finally fractured it. Overall, a good product. Remember to take it off when you mount it to a car rack - highway speeds will make it flap a *lot*!

[Jan 05, 2004]
wayne

Strength:

Ease of mounting

Very brittle!! I was amoung the first one to install fenders from my weekend rider buddies. These fenders snapped off like twigs... How embarrassing...

I have mounted Zefal's front and rear fenders on my Marin Rock Springs bike. The front part of the front fender snapped off on my first ride with it, and the rear fender snapped on my second ride when it caught my foot when I was getting on the bike. I, absolutely, do not recommand Zefal fenders, period!

[Oct 03, 2000]
J Rouleau

Strength:

Inexpensive, easily mounted and removed

Brittle plastic. front "Buggy" fender was noisy - slapping the down tube all the time.

Zefal's are better than most, including the cheesy THE fenders. However, they are still not durable enough. My front and rear fenders - Zefal models "Buggy" and "Flamingo" - were smashed in minor crashes in less than three months. Good design; poor material selection.

Esge / SKS, home brew

[Sep 25, 2000]
Wetboy

Strength:

more coverage than clip on fenders

gets bashed up on trees if you take them off road, less coverage than other full fenders, not as sturdy as other full fenders

This seems to be about the Zefal MTB fenders with stays. They do make several models of fender. I say if you want full fenders for a 26" wheeled bike, get Esge/SKS instead, they are the best, no contest. Stronger, and they are longer so they offer more protection (my feet get wet with the Zefals).

I tried these off road years ago but they don't last. I kept bending them on trees. I use clip ons on my real MTB or put up with the mud.

The 26" ones are the only ones I don't like. My Zefal 700c wide fenders on my touring bike are better, almost as good as Esge.

Mt. Zefal Clip-ons, Esge, Bluemels, Zefal 700C fenders, plastic thing strapped to back rack

[Jun 30, 2000]
nate

Strength:

buggy fender is cheap and works when on tight

requires constant tighting when its bumpy of rough so all the time. tryed some tape on the fastener threads seems to have fixed the problem so

well alot cheaper than a THE fender work good enough to keep the crap out of my eyes so cant complain but its not as much coverage as soom people would like i sapose and it hasnt broken yet. loseing problem isnt really acceptable but was easaly remedied.

forward deflector shield, norco