Topeak Defender FX Extras

Defender FX

Topeak is an innovator in Fenders. The Defender FX has a quick release attachment for all forks. Durable injection molded engineering. Lightweight and sturdy. Carbon Finish

tx   [Jan 23, 2013]
Strength:

Cheap plastic mount breaks easily. What a waste of time and money.

It's not very expensive, but it's going to cost me a hour or more by the time I return this wretched piece of feces. The plastic mount is brittle and breaks off just when you are putting enough pressure on the bolt to keep the mount from turning in the stem. This is the second Topeak defender that I bought (second time = shame on me). Never again.

jjwharf   Weekend Warrior [Oct 04, 2009]
Strength:

Looks rugged. detatchable parts allow the mudguards to be removed before fitting on bike rack

I over tightened the fixing when trying to fit it first time. Did ireversible damage and did not get any use out of it.

Stay clear of these products

Similar Products Used: Defender M1 - It broke when trying to release detatchable rear section
n810   Weekend Warrior [Jun 25, 2009]
Strength:

Looks cool
Mounts easily

construction is lame. Hard plastic only with no metal support on the mounting bracket

Does what it supposed to do but as soon as you leave the ground or do anything remotly rough with it say good bye. First jump of the day upon landing... SNAP! there goes the cheap plastic mount.
Look for something else if you take it off road.

sirtwist   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap
Easy to fit, fits all forks with less than 1.5" steerer tube
looks cool (makes my bike look very motocross stylee)

Could be a little wider perhaps, but nothing has hit my face so far, so it's probably wide enough

My wife and I both fed up with debris coming off the front wheel and sneaking up under our riding sunglasses - so I bought two sets of these today and fitted, did 36km ride in muddy conditions, with debris flying everywhere. Absolutely nothing hit me in the face. And the fender's didn't fall off (not sure how they could really, they clip on very well, maybe it's been redesigned since last reviewers comments).

Better than a crud catcher, as it rotates with the wheel, so it's always protected, not just when you're going in a striaght line. And crud catchers don't work with bottom routed cables.

Great value, and 100% effective! Looks cool too (in my opinion).