Power Grips Pedal Strap Extras

The hands-free Power Grips pedal strap is easy to install and use, and no special shoes or pedals are needed.

Hank Wanker   [Aug 23, 2012]
Strength:

Tough as nails. Easy to get in and out of.

I have a foot problem and cannot wear a bike shoe. Therefore, I have been using these for almost fifteen years. I don't often write reviews and when I do I don't often give five chilis. However, these are an outstanding product. I buy them at the Manufacturers in Grand Junction. No discount in price but you can buy the straps seperately (they tend to wear out first). No worries about getting out once you get used to the grips. These grips give you confidence on the gnarly stuff and extra power on the uphills. Buy them.

commuterguy   [Aug 22, 2012]
Strength:

tough all weather, just plain works

can be kind of hard to get into, particularly if you are use to double sided spd
Not very cool looking if you are an equipment weenie

I have been running on power grips for winter riding with boots for many years. Power grips just work. They require a little bit of coordination to use- heel in to grip tighter- heel out to release. Not much really, just not brainless like a clipless pedal. When you compare performance to cost these are an extraordinary value. Very low intitial cost. No cleats to replace. Wear like iron.

kitsapken   Weekend Warrior [Apr 16, 2011]
Strength:

Very durable and light weight. Simple and effective design. Easy to install and adjust.

None so far

I have friends that use these on their mountain bikes for years and love them, so I picked them up today at my LBS for my commuter bike. Easy instructions (if you need them) and they went on in about 20 min. This is a perfect solution if you don't want to go clipless. Toe clips hit fenders and with these I had no issues with toe rub. Easy to install and adjust. This is a great design that is simple and does the job of keeping your foot on the pedal. The material is more stiff and strong then what it looks and it holds shape for easy on/off for mounts and dismounts.

Only problem I had was that the bag of hardware was short 2 lock nuts. The product deserves 5 chilis but I'm only giving 4 because of this. Kind of a pet peeve of mine when something you buy which requires installation is missing hardware.

Similar Products Used: none
patrick   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2010]
Strength:

relatively inexpensive

hard to get in to, do not fit as manufacturer recommends

I bought these for my fixed gear bike. They make a version that is supposed to be specific to fixed gear, but I found them unusable.

First, at the smallest setting it was still too large, even though I wear a size 11 shoe.

If that had been the only problem I could have dealt with it, but far worse was the fact that they were extremely difficult to get my feet in. The first was easy as I could do it at a stop, but the second was almost impossible.

This may be a problem specific to fixed gear bicycles, as you do not have the luxury of holding the pedals in a fixed position due to the lack of a freewheel, but as this version of the product is advertised as being designed for fixed gear, I feel it should be usable for a fixie. I think the problem is that the bands are not stiff enough to stand up on their own, so if you miss it the first time, they get flattened and are difficult to correct. On two 10 mile rides I was only able to get both feet in the straps once out of about 30 or more attempts.

Don't buy these for fixed gear bikes.

dft   Downhiller [Oct 23, 2009]
Strength:

everything

i only get about 8 months from a give strap since i ride pretty hard.

i have been riding these for 10+ years and absolutly love them. i take offense to someone saying they are not for hardcore/technical riding. i've ridden every type of terrain you can (i'm pretty much a freerider) and they continue to be my favorite product. i just spent 5 weeks of riding whistler in them, pure awesomeness. i've done 13 foot drops, 30 foot gaps, high narrow skinnies, ultra steep descents (ride-don't slide, gargemel, lower joyride) and they perform flawlessly. i am 100% a lifetime user of this product.

mrcaseyman   Weekend Warrior [Oct 09, 2009]

Sizing incorrectly stated on website

I ordered the exta long as their website says to do if you wear a sizes 12 or larger. They were WAY to long. I had to shorten them to get them to fit at all.
In use I could not get my feet into them unless I reached down and tugged them over my shoes. In practice they were horrible. My feet would pop out on hitting bumps on the trail. I would not suggest these for mountain bike riding on any rough or technical trails.

Similar Products Used: Toe Clips and clipless
slychild   Cross Country Rider [Sep 14, 2009]
Strength:

They work

Takes a little time to learn to get in quickly

I loved these first time I used them I had to bail very quickly and I did as fast as platforms. I like the way you can decrease or increase the hold without stopping like when I'm headed for a steep downhill rock garden I just back out 1/4 to 1/2 inch and fill very safe then I tilt my feet out push in and tilt in and there solid. No other pedal can do this. I did not buy them to save money as I can afford any pedal shoe combo. I am so glad I tried these. I did grind the bottom of my shoes almost smooth in the front as you don't need the tread and it only slows an exit. If Power Grip ever makes a shoe for there pedal I'm sure it will have a smooth bottom.

konaguzzi   Weekend Warrior [Aug 29, 2009]
Strength:

cheap simple and work bloody well best option i have yet tested or tried i race with them they do not clog up play up and last very well

very poor service in new zealand we usualy get ripped off (this time i did not)but no one seems to stock them here any more

i will have to order power grips from states but if that is what it takes i will do it,i love them easy simple bloody marvelous (the next lot will cost just a little more)these are suitable for any one to use if you like toe clips these are better easier to get out of in a crash than clipless pedals

Similar Products Used: have tried ritchy clipless ,saak low fat with toe clips
mwelch   Weekend Warrior [Aug 26, 2009]
Strength:

EASY ENTRANCE AND EXIT. VERY NATURAL FEEL. REPLACED STOCK PEDDLES WITH OLDER SHIMANIOS. ON TIGHT SINGLE TRACKS, VERY EAST TO BAIL

PERHAPS THEY ARE SLIGHTLY OVER PRICED. THEIR STOCK PEDDLE IS NOT THE BSET GRADE.

I TELL RIDERS ABOUT THESE ALL THE TIME. THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT GETTING STUCK IN THEIR CLIPLESS PEDDLES AND GOING DOWN. 15 YEARS AGO, I STARTED USING POWER GRIPS, WENT TO CLIPLESS AND SWITCHED BACK. THESE PROVIDE WHAT I NEED, FOR THE TYPE OF RIDDING THAT I DO.
THEY ARE PROBABLY NOT FOR THE HARD CORE OR THE FASHION COUNSCIOUS.

Similar Products Used: CANDYS, RITCHEY COMP.
Furious Rod   Weekend Warrior [Apr 09, 2009]
Strength:

Affordable, Secure, works with platform pedals, can wear any kind of shoe, easy to get in and out of

Not for aggressive riding

If you are looking for something to give you a little more pedal security for casual around the town riding these are for you.

I have these on my town cruiser and they work great. I wear a size 12 shoe and usually wear soft soled sneakers and the regular sized grips work great. They work with platform pedals so if you have large/wide feet this is a solid option.

I wouldn't compare these against riding with cages or clipless because there's no comparison in terms of security and feel. If you need something for agressive riding, I would not use these. If you have big feet or want to walk around when off your bike these work well.