Old Man Mountain Red Rock Expedition Rear Rack Extras

Old Man Mountain Red Rock Expedition Rear Rack Extras

• Dimensions: 5.5" x 17"
  • Extra-long top plate protects you and your gear from the elements and allows for extra heel clearance.
  • 6061-T6, Aircraft grade, tubular aluminum.
  • All joints are double-welded by hand.
  • 60 pound load capacity.

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 28, 2011]
    ranier

Strength:

sturdy, yet light

paint finish chipping in some spots

I've used this rack for three years, mainly commuting and the occasional weekend tour. I mounted it using the dropout eyelets and the v-brake post mounts which create a nice sturdy mount to the bike frame. It can take a pretty heavy load - loaded panniers for touring, two boxes filled with brake rotors(heavy!) and a pair of mini-kegs overstuffed into panniers. The top plate does a decent job functioning as a small rear fender. A quick hose down and wipe will make it look new if I ever get around to it. It's part of a tool and it works well.

[Jan 03, 2011]
    Bill P

Strength:

Stiffness. Ease of mounting. Light weight

I peeled off the sticker, didn't like it. Mounting struts should be dyed the same finish as the rack- cosmetic purposes.

In my experience racks which fail usually fail from fatigue as a result of sustained 'wobbling' during use. Typically side to side. Rack stiffness, secure mounts and weight reduction reduce this. This is my first hollow aluminium rack and you could dink your mother in law on it. (Dink as in meaning to carry pillion). I'm going to buy some more.

Karrimor steel, Homemade steel, Blackburn Aluminium, Giant Aluminium, Pletscher, Topeak Explorer, Yeah (sp?), plus others.

[Oct 19, 2005]
    Rod Richards

Strength:

light weight (is this so important in a rack?)

Flimsy, poor instructions, ill-fitting, cheesy aluminum hardware

When you pay $90 for a rack made by a company that ONLY makes racks, you expect to get quality. The dropout attachment points on this rack are far too wide. As I tightened the supplied dropout eyelet bolts to take up a bit of the slack, the bolt head snapped off, leaving the bolt stuck in my frame. I did not apply excessive force. I was already irritable at this point and I lost my temper and banged my fist downward on top of the rack (still attached to the bike). The whole top surface of the rack buckled considerably. (Yes, I realize that I have some anger management problems to work out. :)) When I realized I had ruined it anyway, I decided to see how tough it was. I was able to rip the rack in half with my bare hands (I am not exceptionally strong). I would not trust this rack to carry my gear on a loaded bike tour. Aluminum is not well-suited for this--it is weak, fatigues easily, and, unlike steel, is not easily repaired if it breaks.

Zefal Rackoon

[Aug 13, 2003]
    Katherine Wallace

Strength:

Rock solid

finish, price

Used this rack for a 10,000 km tour through Asia and SE Asia. We went over some of the crappiest road construction, muddiest mud and ruttiest roads, and this rack just did not budge. With all the gear on it, no matter how it was slung on, this rack carried the load, never moved, creaked, cracked or groaned. It was THE most trouble-free piece of equipment we had on the whole trip. Check the mounting bolts every few months, and that was the extent of it. Some of the finish has come off, but I take the blame for treating it like crap, along with a few train, bus and aircraft handlers! The price was up there, but consider how much its going to cost you to get a replacement shipped overnight to you in the middle of nowhere! Highly recommended.