Masterlock Street Cuff SS Extras

Street Cuff SS

The Master Lock Street Cuff SS is all new for 2002. A smart design with a tough investment cast stainless steel construction is guaranteed to withstand the harshest attacks. Not only does the Street Cuff SS deliver the ultimate security, but it includes a pivot link that allows the cuffs to fold in half for compact storage and transportation. The patented push button locking mechanism delivers keyless locking convenience. High-tech ABS rubber sleeves eliminate scratching and marring. It comes with a $4,000 theft guarantee.

batvette   Weekend Warrior [Aug 06, 2009]
Strength:

looks great, conversation piece

heavy, rattles in your pack, key is hard to manipulate

When I finished building my dream bike about 3 years ago I was pretty worried about leaving $3k just sitting around with a cheap lock on it, so I bought several of the better ones I could find, on ebay. This, a Kryptonite NY U lock, and a Cobralinks Jr 3ft, and a small alarm U lock. After some time I realized the street cuffs are more of a gimmick than anything, and use exclusively the Kryptonite U and the Cobralinks Jr. together. The streetcuffs are pretty, but they rattle like mad in your pack- so much so I had to make a pouch out of leather to shut them up. The key is hard to manipulate- even when well lubed, and you have clear access. I think the adjoining links may be a weak spot in these, because of this design you will always leave a thief clear access to get a bolt cutter, grinder, or hacksaw at that link, and he only has to cut through half the link. They tout the security benefit of having no leverage access like a U lock does, but I think this design has its own weak point in the link.
An unexpected aspect is I've had a lot of people walk up to me and ask me abou them, and you're into that sort of thing this will probably attract people who like to use handcuffs for recreational purposes(wink,wink). I'm not too disappointed in the value as I got a deal on them on ebay, however had I paid the retail street price of $130 I'd be bummed. The Kryptonite U was $70 and IMO offers better security, and as I use it with the $50 (used) cobralinks it's still less than the cuffs and far more secure. Because most thieves specialize in defeating a certain kind of lock, THE BEST LOCK YOU CAN USE IS TWO DIFFERENT ONES.

Similar Products Used: Kryptonite NY U Fahgeddaboutit
Kevin   Weekend Warrior [Jun 17, 2004]
Strength:

Extremely Strong/Unbreakable. Masterlock GOOD JOB

Weight/Bulky

This was the first bike I ever purchased. I never had much faith in them. I live in NEW YORK CITY, my theory has always been (wherever I go my bike goes). If a store doesn't allow bikes we don't do business. With Street Cuffs I lock my bike up anywhere and I don't worry at all. When my bikes locked up, I've notice(would be thieves) stopping to look at my bike and looking for a weakness in the lock. Pretty funny to see the look on their faces, "Damn that must be some new S--T!" I give this Product 5 flames for stopping bike thieves in their tracks.