J. P. Weigle Framesaver Extras

J. P. Weigle Framesaver Extras

J. P. Weigle Framesaver

[Feb 05, 2003]
Rick B

Strength:

Works.

Messy to apply.

My first couple of steel bikes formed rust after 2 or 3 years. The third bike I got, I put Framesaver in it. No rust at all, even after 8 years.
When you put it in a frame, be careful not to spray it into a small area, like a chainstay bridge. It will squirt back out because of the pressure. Make sure you have the floor covered well, or do it outside. The stuff will drip out as you shake and twist the frame around to spread the Framesaver inside the tubes.
Now go ride.

None.

[Sep 10, 1999]
Zandro
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

works

be careful applying it

there's a reason many frame-builders use/recommend this stuff.

krylon

[Jan 15, 1998]
SP
cross-country rider

I ran across this product recently and have rustproofed 2 bikes with it. In the past I've used a turkey baster
and either motor oil or linseed oil. While I've never had a rust out, I found it really messy to deal with. This
product comes in a small aerosol can and seems to be simliar to automotive rustproofing. When wet, it is
very runny and finds its way all through your frame, so be prepared in case it finds vent holes before you do!
When dry it remains tacky to the touch and does not rub off easily. Over spray or runs need to be wiped
up with a mild solvent. I did some unscientific testing on a piece of bare steel which has been exposed to
rain/snow/road salt and heavy surface rust has developed on the unprotected areas, not under FS.

[Aug 03, 2003]
Tony

Strength:

Does what it claims

Messy application
Smells (so what)

Been using this on all my steel bikes ever since I trashed my Bottechia years ago due to not using FrameSaver. Haven't had a problem since. The application is quite messy, but you can easily wipe it off afterwards. You have to totally wipe off the bottom bracket area or else it'll casue the BB to be a bit sticky during insertion. I hear the Boeshield is just as good as Framesaver, maybe even better. I don't know; I have haven't tried it myself. Framesaver is one of the cheapest products that'll do more to protect your steel frame than any other product.