Club Roost Roost Wedgehead Extras

Roost Wedgehead

Club Roost Wedgehead

Chris   weekend warrior [May 17, 1998]

I have had one since December '96. I have only had to tighten it once since I have had it installed. I weigh 200 lbs and ride fast rutted terain. I had the slipping washer problem the first time I installed the unit but I knew it wasn't right so I just re-installed it using blue locktight between the washer and tube. Bingo! no slipping. Try it

Scott Silvers   [Jan 21, 1997]

When putting the final installation touches on my new
threadless fork, I completely destroyed the star washer.
I ran over to my local bike shop, determined to find
anything but another star flanged failure, and got
a club roost wedgehead. Much better design, easy to install
and adjust, trouble free, say no more.........

Mike Karnes   racer [Jun 30, 1997]

I've had no problems with the wedgehead; I guess I've been lucky (after reading the previous reviews). I'll give it 5 chilies for style, 1 chili for actual usefullness, for and aerage of 3 (2.5 rounded up).

Jason Liu   weekend warrior [Jan 30, 1997]

In my opinion, this is not a good replacement for the SPN. I decided to try the Club Roost Wedge when I installed a new suspension fork. But after a summer of riding, I came away disappointed. The Wedgehead loosens after every off-road ride. I had to constantly tighten (and I mean TIGHTEN) it. No matter how hard I tried, the bolt just seems to loosen itself during off-road riding. The design is also a hassle. Every time I loosen the stem (which means loosening the wedgehead cap), I have to retighten the spanner with the stem off, and then install the stem and screw on the top cap. This can be frustrating and time consuming when you also have to center the stem.

Carl   racer [Jan 31, 1997]

Needed to get something like this when I was building up my latest bike (had fork, had stem, had headset, but no nut). I too suffered at first from the slipping nut during installation, but I figured out how to combat it:1) Place a few washers on top of the ring portion of the wedgehead as you insert it into your steerer tube2) Install top cap and bolt and tighten away3) Remove bolt and top cap, remove washers, reinstall top cap and boltThe wedgehead will now be seated in your steerer tube as many mm below the top as your washer thickness. NOTE: Specialized had a wedgenut system like this a few years ago which included a thin o-ring around the ring portion to keep it from slipping down into the steerer during disassembly/assembly. The Roost ring has a groove that an o-ring would fit into. Hit the hardware store and save some headaches.

brad smith   cross-country rider [Dec 02, 1996]

I have recently purchaced the Club Roost Wedge Head to replace the cheap
plastic stem cap ant star flange combo so often put on by mfgr. This seemed to
be a good choice for the fact that for $10. you get an allum. cap that won't
break under preassure and a wedge instead of one of those flanges. The wedge
is easy to install and can be removed to fit into another set of forks in needed. I
am not sure of the weight ( it would be a marginal difference so it doesn't really
factor into play).

Ryan Moore   weekend warrior [Dec 03, 1996]

The Wedge Head is easy to use and works well. It is much easier to install than a SFN and is removable. There is no reason you have to keep the top cap once you have installed the ring, and you can easily use the one that came with your headset. It is a good design that works well when used by someone who knows what the f*** they are doing.

Nelson Ho   cross-country rider [Jun 03, 1996]

The Wedgehead is a device which substitutes the SFN (star fangled nut) in threadless headsets. It uses a wedge system. It has an alum. top cap and a bolt. but when you thread the bolt down, it pulls up a wedge which is jammed inside a ring. As the wedge is pulled upwards, the ring expands and holds onto the inside of the steerer tube. The design is very clever, however, it doesn't work very well. The ring does not grip the inside of the steerer tightly and as you tighten the bolt, you often pull the whole thing upwards, kinda like a slipping SFN. Another drawback is the cosmetics on the top cap. The lettering is painted on and is scratched off very easily. The only good thing is this is a removalbe piece, so you can remove it easily and toss it in the trash. Keep the alum top cap, though.

Bob Hylka   cross-country rider [Apr 12, 1997]

What a piece of garbage!!!! With this, I never was able to fully tighten my headset for more than 2 or 3 rides, EVER. The nut part of the wedgehead needed some coaxing to fit into my fork steerer tube. Avoid this baby like fresh horsepoop on the trail. I would give it no chile's but they won't let me.

Alvin B   cross-country rider [Apr 12, 1997]

It sucks!! Try the FSA instead.