VDO Aero 8.0 Computer

Aero 8.0

VDO Aero 8.0

-k   Weekend Warrior [Apr 26, 2004]
Strength:

PLEASE NOTE: this review is for VDO sprintlux. Don't know number.
functions, reliability, low battery consumpt

slips out easily

I've been using this thing for almost 4 years now. Still on 2nd battery. I have around 7000 KM on it. A rough guess. Don't watch the odo much.
It works nicely. easy to set up. wire snapped unexpectedly, was able to separate conductors and reconnect.
I don't do higher drops, but it has fallen out on smaller stuff and the occasional fall. I'm used to it and check for it before I ride away. If i get into regular riding that makes it fall out often, I can easily throw an elastic band or a zap strap to keep it on. Haven't had any problems with breakage like the others. There is a reset button if there is.
I have managed to get the backlight stay on for an extended period of time (pushed blue button again to turn off)on a couple of later night rides. I have absolutely no idea how. I would really like to know how to do this reliably. Please email me if you know the secret.

Zac Nesper   Racer [Dec 19, 2001]
Strength:

This product was fantastic when I first got it. It read accurately and flawlessly for about 3 months.

Once you sweat on this thing it's all over. Typically at about 18 miles on a warm day, this thing shuts down because of sweat. It's almost uncanny how predictable this problem is. The unit goes haywire...often reads that I'm going 42mph up hill-That would be nice, and maybe possible if I was churning at a cadence of 214 like the readout suggests.

Don't buy it!(unless you don't sweat). VDO is on the verge of having a fantastic product—they need to work around the sweat/water issue. Until they do, stay away!

Similar Products Used: Avocet
Greg   Cross Country Rider [Jun 19, 2006]
Strength:

NOTE This is for a VDO C3DS Wireless not Aero8.0. This is THE BEST computer I have ever used. All others are toast. 1) It is not fussy whatsoever about the gap between the magnet and the sensor. Mine is like at 5-6 mm.. all other brands are VERY fussy 2) The menu structure is SUPER EASY to learn and use... about 2 minutes, and virtually impossible to forget it is so intuitive. 3) The transmitter has a little green LED on it that blinks when it is transmitting so you know it works 4) It uses a digitally encoded transmission which virtuallly eliminates interferance from other computers or other EMI sources. 5) The readout is relatively large and easy to read. 6) It's a nice XT silver color which matches my bike perfectly. 7) It's not fussy about the distance or line of sight from the transmitter to the head unit... most other brands can be very fussy. I haven't tried it yet but VDO claims a range of over 1 meter so it should be possible to mount the speed transmitter on the rear so that it will work when the bike is on a trainer. I am planning on getting a 2nd transmitter and mount kit and trying this unit on my road bike. 8) The magnet has a really slick little mounting system that doesn't mar or nick the spokes. 9) It has lots of really great features and provides all kindof cool ride data. My last pricey Vetta wireless is now on its way to it's final resting place... the local landfill.. where it belongs.. Value is based on does it work, does it last, did it cost less than a 747. Cheap is cheap... You can buy other wireless units for less but no a single one stacks up to the VDO C3DS. MountainBike Europe's #1 best pick computer..

NONE NONE NONE (except maybe a bit $$$$, if I had to buy it at normal street price ~$65).. Don't know about durability yet. But you get what you pay for..

Install was a piece of cake. Setup and use is a slice of pie. This unit just plain works. This computer, or the 1DS, 2DS or 4DS are the ones to buy (depending on what features you want and how much $$$ you wanna spend). Check out the VDO web page for more details

Do yourself a favor and buy one of the VDO DS series computers... You will not regret it.... I will write another review after some more experience with the unit.

PS: MTB Review.... Please start a category for VDO DS computers... movee this review there.

Similar Products Used: Vetta C-5, 15, 20, 100 Wireless, Ascent wireles, Cateye wored and wireless Miti, Gary Fisher wireless
Ed Elefante   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 2001]
Strength:

Compact and several easy to use functions, plus it has a nice blue (Indigo type backlight). Has 2 tire memory, in case you switch between 2 different sized tires, like I do, between slicks and off-road tires...

Manual for unit wasn't too detailed but fairly self explanatory.... Price? These were labeled Kienzle Sprintlux VDO's. The model was fairly new back then and I didn't know what a good deal for it was... so I don't know if $45 is a good price for these....

If you haven't tried any computer system or want to upgrade, these are the ones to get... Simple to use, has the backlight for nightriding viewing.... Easy to mount and dismount... what more can you ask for!

Similar Products Used: heard these were great so I only have used this one.
Dave   Weekend Warrior [Jul 20, 1999]
Strength:

Easy to mount/use. Brand name instrument manufacturer

None noticed yet

Replaced my wireless nashbar computer. Has all of its strengths and none of its weaknesses. It will automatically come on when the wheel begins to move, one can choose auto-time or stopwatch, and unlike the Nashbar it clicks into place and one needs to press a lever to remove it (I lost my Nashbar on a bumpy singletrack because it did not securely lock into place). It is great looking but a little pricey. It is available at BikeWorld for about $62.The manufacturer is VDO, a German company, which makes instrumentation for many cars

Similar Products Used: Nashbar wireless, specialized wireless
Chad Halverson   [Jun 10, 2001]
Strength:

Sleek design and solid mounting.

This computer flips out if the wheel is stopped with the magnet on the sensor. At a stop lights I have picked up 5 or 10 miles on my trip distance and my maximum speed can jump to over 100 MPH. This defeats the purpose of even having a cycle computer, I can guess my trip distance and max speed better that this.

Get the Nashbar cordless computer. It's mounting is not as clean, but is less that half the price and I have yet to see mine flip out with the wheel stopped.

Similar Products Used: Nashbar cordless
Fulco   Cross Country Rider [Mar 22, 2003]

I riding with this speedometer since more than 6 years now, and made more than 20'000km with it. It never broke down-only this year I changed the battery- and it's always working reliably.

Some other "computer" will have a lot more options than this one, but for me it has the most important features: speed, riding time, time from starting point (including breaks), cumulative KMs and finally the clock.

It even sustained heavy rain one day, which I was sure to lose it, but it hold on and is still working :)

Great stuff!

Ed   Weekend Warrior [Oct 05, 2000]
Strength:

this thing is great -- accurate, reliable, durable. Same company made the speedometer on my Audi.

got to measure the front wheel circumferance, but this is pretty easy

buy it

Similar Products Used: have had some Avocets in the past
Peeter   Weekend Warrior [Jul 17, 2000]
Strength:

Durability, looks, stays put to it's correct place

The sensor has to be mounted very precisely

Easy to use, good looking, durable, compact state-of-the art bicycle computer from the famous VDO company which produces similar products to cars like Audi and VW. In 1998 when I bought my first mountain bike (UNIVEGA DS 800) I also bought this wonderful piece of equipment and fell in love with it. Since then the bikes have changed but VDO Aero 8.0 is still the best bicycle computer I've ever tried. It's relatively expensive but either way - even if You have tried something else, it remains the best. And which is the best - You can't lose it even with heavy riding.

Similar Products Used: I've tried similar VDO's which have not been wireless and some VETTA's and some products from Sigma Sport but I have actually owned only VDO's (both aero 8.0).
ML   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2000]
Strength:

Reliable,durable, east to use and good functions

NONE

I have had at least six different computers in the last two years and this is by far and away the best. I have had wire-less , and every feature you can think of. But this thing just works!! crashes, bad weather, batteries it just keeps going. Never thought I would write a review about a computer but sometimes the simplest things make the biggest difference.