Trek Radar Computer

Trek Radar

Uncle859   Weekend Warrior [Mar 17, 2011]
Strength:

I have used this unit for a long time and found it to be very good. Switching from modes is pretty good and the route within a route is advantageous.

Set up is a pain.

Good unit but I believe that it is no longer available. If this is true, too bad because it is a versitile unit for those who want to maintain records of their rides.

Ernst   Weekend Warrior [Sep 16, 2010]
Strength:

Large easy to read display, temperature indicator

Buttons failed

Found this older unit in my bag of junk bike stuff. Then had an idea of something to try and get the buttons working. I removed the battery and filled the computer with WD40, then aggitated it. I let the computer soak overnight, then drained it by drilling a 1/16" hole in the lower left corner/edge. Some WD remained, but seems to be evaporating. Plug the drilled hole with a dab of RTV Silicone. It works!

Mark Weber   Weekend Warrior [Aug 16, 2010]
Strength:

On it's third time around-about 26,000 miles and have never had a problem since 1993.

none, I've found

Like the Energizer Bunny-it still keeps on going-buying a new bike now-so it is going on it's third bike. It has logged 26,000 miles and I have only changed the battery. I guess it's weakness is that it doesn't have all tire sizes anymore-my 700-32C is not listed, so I guess. It's simple, accurate, and inexpensive.

Similar Products Used: none
MarkGBell   Cross Country Rider [Nov 29, 2008]
Strength:

Great in every way.

The contacts go bad after 8-10 seasons and the functions become inaccessible

I wish they still made it!

Similar Products Used: Several
TC Patton   Cross Country Rider [May 16, 2003]
Strength:

Temp

All other functions

The GM of bikes has failed with this product and should refund cash to all who request it with product in hand or proof that is once was on your bike...because I took a big @#$ hammer to mine...what stress relief! It always cutoff and you would need to reset, reset and reset. Thats uncool!

Craig   Weekend Warrior [Jan 04, 2002]
Strength:

Great Display, I enjoy knowing how hot is it while I am sweating my A.., Err, butt off!

Buttons started Sticking when I got some mud on the computer. Weak Wires, Used 2 sets in 3 years.

I never had a problem with this computer quiting on me at any time (Untill the battery Died after 3 years), I enjoy all the functions this little computer has to offer (Wish it had Cadence), and I like seeing how hot it really is while I am riding. I found this little computer to be very Reliable. I would purchase another one.

Similar Products Used: Cateye Astraile , Cateye Enduro 2
Eric   Weekend Warrior [Jul 17, 1999]
Strength:

Large Display
Temperature

Weak wire to pickup
Random Shutoff
Short Battery Life
Lack of Support from Trek

If you like buying cheap Ocean Front property, then this cyclocomputer is for you. I didn't have this piece of junk on my bike for more than two hours before it started randomly turning off. I lived with this for about a week before a small stick got caught in my front wheel and tore the wire out of the pickup. I've had a lot of cyclocomputers before, and none were this prone to wire breakage.
That's not the worse part. I went back to my dealer after the wire broke, and he said he's had the new kits on backorder for two months. My dealer told me the Rep said that since Trek has updated the cyclocomputer this year, they made the new one not compatible with the old and highly doubts that Trek will support replacement kits for the old style. Well, I guess this was the first and last Trek cyclocomputer I'll ever buy. I'm going back to Avocet!

Similar Products Used: Avocet
Cateye
Nelson Ho   cross-country rider [Jun 09, 1996]

This is a great computer. I had the 95 version, lost it, and then bought the 96 version. It has the basics and many nice features. Basics: auto start/stop timer, current speed, avg speed, max speed, resettable trip distance, odometer. The nice features: thermometer! (no other computer has it) and it's a full time display, so it's always on no matter what other features are selected. Also a full-time display clock. A programmable odometer means when replacing batteries, you can set the odometer back to the milage you had before instead of getting a big ZERO just because your battery ran out. It also has 2 wheel diameters you can program for use with 2 bikes. One of the best feature is the Workout Window. This feature uses manual start/stop and is totally separate from the regular computer so your non-workout riding won't affect the data in your Workout Window. It's like getting 2 computers! It has 3 lines of display! Two long buttons ensure easy access even with thick gloves. And the unit is water proof. I bought this for $50 at a LBS. Fitting to thick suspension fork is no problem.

Johnny Whissel   cross-country rider [Jun 11, 1996]

I just got one of these. It works very well, mounts on my suspension fork easily, and is totally waterproof, which is fantastic! I think it is one of thhe better computers on the market, but I wish you could mount it to the rear wheel. It also slides around a lot on my haandlebar, even though the mounting screw is tightened. The cost was a little high too.

Rod Hadash   cross-country rider [Jun 11, 1996]

Yes, this computer is everything everybody is saying including the post it does not stay on the bike, but overall it is excellent . . . except one MAJOR flaw. It will not work if it gets dirty! The buttons have a groove around them that act like a funnel to channel small grains of sand and mud between the case and the button and when you depress the button with one of these little critters of sand waiting in the mouth of the funnel it wedges there and prevents your button from popping back up. This has happened twice to me. Granted, my local bike shop has stood behind the product and replaced it, but it can still be an annoyance. Now I simply will not depress the buttons if there is any dirt around the buttons, instead I wait until I get home and drop it into a glass of water (its very waterproof)and clean it off.