Topeak Panoram Computer

Panoram 17 Function Cycle Computer A radical new concept in computer design. Superwide screen displays all of your cycling information at once. Right side displays all speed information. Center section is for time functions. And the left displays distance and maintenance information.

timefleas   Cross Country Rider [Jun 28, 2012]
Strength:

Oner of the largest displays for easy readability at any time--with enough space for several different readings such distance covered, current speed, current time, etc., and easy to scroll through on the fly for other info as needed (maximum speed, for example). Easy to set for two different bikes. Easy to install, and no to the people below who suggested the mounts were not good, that the settings changed everytime the touched it, and so forth--my advice, learn how to use it first, and then make a review. Batteries last about a year or more, without using back-light (how many of you actually use back-lighting, 1 out of 10, 1 out of a 100?--a non-issue, I think). Easy to remove from one bike to another, but I like them so much I have one on each bike (and I have five...). The price is (or rather was) right as well. Unfortunately, recent incarnations have grown smaller, and while more compact, either has smaller displays (harder to read) or requires more scrolling--and who wants to be doing that all the time while riding? If you can find one, don't buy it--I am looking to grab all that I can find!

There are two basic weaknesses. First, do not leave the screen exposed to direct sunlight for any length of time. This doesn't mean you can't use it outdoors--simply, use it at an angle slightly inverted (to match your line of sight, of course), which will take it out of a direct line to the sun. Exposed to direct sunlight for an extended period of time will ruin the screen, it will cause it to "oil" up, looking like a an oil slick on the surface LED display. Second, don't drop it onto hard surfaces. The molded plastic case is unusually brittle, and unforgiving, so the case can easily crack--since the display is pressure sensitive, the crack will leave it inoperable--rubber bands and/or epoxy will only serve as temporary solutions. ANy of the others problems noted below by others are more due to owner issues, rather than problems with the actual computer--learn how to mount it right, learn how to use it, and it will serve you well--I have used more than half a dozen for the last several years, and while I have sued others, such as Cateye, none come close to the accuracy, legibility, ease of use, and overall quality as this now retired product. Bring it back!

If you can get your hands on one, or two, or three--grab it or them without reserve, there is nothing better on the market at any price, as long as you don't need what it doesn't have, which is GPS capability, heart rate monitoring and other related complications. Well tried, well tested, and well loved.

Similar Products Used: Cateye, and many others.
mklasi   Weekend Warrior [Oct 13, 2011]
Strength:

I have used the PANORAM for about 8 years. My battery died last week and now I have to reset the tire size. I cannot find the instruction sheet so can anyone give me a clue on resetting the PANORAM?

You lose everything when the battery dies.

In my view this is a good product. It has been through one minor bike accident and suffered a scrape to one edge which did not affect its operation or the mount.

Similar Products Used: None
Scoop   Weekend Warrior [Mar 20, 2010]
Strength:

Big display, backlight, clock - it does what its supposed to do!

short battery life with backlight on, instruction are a little tough for "newbies" to understand....

This thing works great for the price, I'm hard on equipment and use things to the extreme, mine has seen, mud / water / heat / cold / sand / gravel / dirt... no problem! I've crashed so hard that it knocked it off the bars and into the woods - found it, brushed off the dirt and attached back on for another day! AWESOME! I've had 6 of these and all 6 have performed flawless!

Similar Products Used: iPhone
Fran   Weekend Warrior [Jun 18, 2003]
Strength:

Good visibility and no pushing buttons for the different functions.
If you think the mount is flimsy then get one of these...

Question.
Were these speedos designed for cycles or motorbikes first?

None but would like a revcounter in there as well.

Excellent product.

philip hazouri   [Aug 11, 2007]
Strength:

large read out

never has worked properly and accurately

Have had it professionally adjusted on 4 different occasions without success. It's still on my bike, not working.

Similar Products Used: Cat Eye
Maria Mikulich   Downhiller [Jul 01, 2007]
Strength:

I liked the size of the screen. The numbers were easy to read and I liked the easy to reach mode button.

The instructions are terrible. After unfolding the poster-size one sheet of instructions I eagerly looked for written instructions. Not much in that department, mostly pictures of screens. I could not figure out how to input wheel size so I recruited my husband who has always been able to figure these things out for me and he gave up. After 15 minutes each we both gave up. I have already packaged up the unit and am sending it back tomorrow. I am sure the computer works great but the set-up was frustrating.

They really need to update the instructions and make them user friendly.

Similar Products Used: Ascent V-12
peter   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2007]
Strength:

Big screen, nice pleasing design, easy set up mechanically, wireless, though the computer programming is a bit tedious.

There are a couple of BIG problems. One, the screen reacts adversely to exposure to direct sunlight. In fact, such exposure will eventually result in the entire screen turning into what looks like an oil slick under glass, where all readings are impossible to see. So, obviously, don't leave your bike parked outside in the direct sun with the computer attached--however, there is nothing you can do about the sun exposure on a half century ride in the open country--this is a MAJOR problem. The other is that the glue that adheres the base piece (black) to the top shell (silver) easily looses its adherence, and if this happens, the digits on the display lose parts of their characters, making it impossible to read. This happens if they are dropped, or are knocked against something hard. Once this happens, they are dead in the water. Other problems are noted elsewhere in these reviews, such as fixed screen settings, usually not what you want, difficulty in swtiching from one bike tire setting to another with almost impossible to see tiny number designations separating one from the other, and a few other things.

At first I loved these computers--so much so that I bought one for all four bikes (five actually as I have another carbon bike, an older but beautiful Giant Cadex that I use for the Portland Pedal during my summer visits to the NW), and replaced these as I went through the problems described below. I have had the sunlight problems with all of them, and one or two never fully recovered. I have had the loose case problem with two, meaning I had to throw them away. One other turns on, shows the display, but won't pick up the wheel revolutions, even though all others do in the same set up. Overall, I have gone through about 7 or 8 of them--pretty pricey even from eBay. I am going back to the cheap and reliable Cateyes (that is what led me back to these reviews). I strongly suggest you look elsewhere for your bike computers.

Similar Products Used: Cateye, Specialized, a few others
Joe Hougelman   Weekend Warrior [Feb 23, 2002]
Strength:

All the funtions that are displayed at the same time, and all the rest are one click away. I actually like the size of it, and think it looks cool having a laptop on my bike. The clip that locks it in seems steardy, and hopefully it will not come loose and fall off all the time like others i have owned. I think you can reprogram your odometer when you change the battery although i didn't have to do that yet.

I guess once i learn all the abrevations, i won't have to keep grabbing my manual. Manual is all pictures, and takes a while (at least for me) to learn how to program it. Once it's set though, your good.... until the dreaded dead battery!

I think maybe NEXT bought this, casue I got one at walmart labeled NEXT panoram, and looks identical.. It's a wired version though. I've gone through about 3 of these "new fangled" none have got me over 200 miles without me throwing it away. I hope this one lasts. I still haven't found anything to beat my old fashion analog speedometer, which is still on my old Huffy, and has about 1200 miles on it, and still going strong!.. although you can't get the exact reading on them. I'm taking my chili's away if it don't make it to 1200 miles!

Paul   Cross Country Rider [Nov 16, 2002]
Strength:

Very Accurate. Large easy to read display. 4 different readings displayed at once. Center mount. Easy to remove. Water resistant. Wireless. Indiglo feature.

Mount would break if hit to hard in a crash. Mount gets in the way of flipping bike over to work on it. Indiglo only lights up 4 seconds at a time, not long enough to read all information.

This is a very functional, well made product. I find most of the functions useful, except for the maintenance and chain lube reminders. I lube my chain almost after every ride, and maintain everything else on a regular basis. I know the distance reading is accurate as I have taken the bike to a local school track a number of times and the reading is dead on to the hundredth of a mile. I’ll assume the speed reading is accurate since the distance is. I would recommend the wireless model as there is no wire to get in the way and it looks better. Might be a little big, but I think it’s kind of cool looking. All in all a great product.

Similar Products Used: None
Richard   [Jan 11, 2002]
Strength:

Large screen, easy set up, simple to use.

Light does not stay on long enough.

This is a great computer if you can get over it's size. Although it is quite large, it is worth it because two clicks gets you all your data. The mount places the computer directly over the stem so it is not all that obtrusive. I recommend this computer to anyone who appreciates function over form. I wouldn't be surprised if a "bigger is better" trend is started.

Similar Products Used: None.