Specialized Speedzone Sport Wireless Computer

Speedzone Sport Wireless

• Triple line readout provides clear feedback on crucial ride stats
  • Multiple mounting options for the utmost in versatility
  • Max. speed
  • Odometer

Mac   [Aug 24, 2014]
Strength:

Small in size and looks good on the bike.

My second ride with the new Specialized Speedzone wireless computer was 100 miles long. At 60 miles into the ride I noticed it indicated a big zero for my speed when I was actually doing at least 17 mph. I stoped to check the wheel magnet, but it was still tight on the spoke and in proper position with the transmitter. For the next 2 and a half hours the speed would jump around between 3 to 43 mph within just a few seconds. All I can say is this computer can't take the Texas heat like my old computer can. The Speedzone Sport is going back for a refund and my old computer will be back on my bike tomorrow.

Not a reliable bike computer.

Geert Jongert   [Aug 18, 2014]
Strength:

Poor mounting hardware provided. Zip ties are never fully secure. Spoke magnet is poor quality. Screw on magnet won't tighten securely without spinning..

Just replaced a Japanese made bicycle computer that was 30 years old. Only reason for replacing was I could no longer find proper battery. This Chinese made one is absolute garbage. Sixty dollars wasted! Problem is I don't know if there are better quality bike computers out there.

Anchovy   [Nov 17, 2013]
Strength:

Inexpensive (that is the Latin word for cheap)

Expensive for something that does not work.
Speedo only goes up to 99 mph. (a joke folks)

I am 67 years old.
I do not put undue strain on sports equipment.
This thing stopped working after about 3 weeks of actual use.
Glad they don't make pacemakers.

Gman   Weekend Warrior [Jul 08, 2013]
Strength:

Large display easy to use

Interference from every where! Cell phone, electrical (nothing major), trafic lights, who knows.

Had it 2 weeks and can't trust the readings. Can't believe a pro bike shop would sell this! or that specialized would make this!

John Dragstra   [Feb 25, 2013]
Strength:

Easy to read screen.

I have the Specialized Sport Wireless odometer computer. Only had it 1.5 years and the battery died. Changed the battery and the screen is blacked out. Piece of junk.. I have a wired cateye on my backup bike and it is 16 years old and still working. .

Buy a Cateye.

Steve   [May 05, 2012]
Strength:

Easy to use. Large display...I can see my speed and the clock with ease.

The only weakness that I can see is that there is no way to turn the unit off. After I disengage the unit from the holder, I put it in my pocket so I can log my readings. I have taken it out of my pocket only to find that the route is longer than it originally was, etc. I have noticed that if the unit is near a cell phone or a wireless laptop, it gets the signals and registers them. I thought that when the unit was pulled out of the holder, it stopped registering.

I don't know what people are talking about with their units popping out of the holder. Mine snaps in and stays in until I press the tab and slide it out of the holder. I'm also not sure about the auto-on. Mine is in sleep mode when I snap it into the holder...the bike starts to roll, and it wakes up. Did I somehow get an upgraded unit??

MacBikePro   All Mountain Rider [Mar 20, 2012]
Strength:

Easy to use, simple mounting, button feedback, seems accurate, well-built.

Actual button response, no auto-on, mounting design

"Get what you pay for" is applicable here. After owning one since 2009, I just dropped it on pavement for about the 5th time and it finally cracked the screen. I actually really liked this once I tightened up the mount.

Original mounting was a little loose and I, too, lost it off the bars once, but that was enough for me. Simply putting a few layers of black electrical tape on the mount made it tight enough to stay but not too tight that I couldn't get it back off. Anyone want to send me theirs?

Yes, the buttons don't actually respond sometimes, but you pay $15 less than a CatEye (which is more complicated to use, IMO). I never accidentally reset the Speedzone trying to get it off the bike like I have the CatEye. OTOH, the Speedzone will reset if you put it in a bag and both buttons are depressed for more than 3 seconds. No bike computer seems perfect.

Similar Products Used: CatEye Micro Wireless
bobv   Weekend Warrior [Jul 27, 2011]

batteries won't work beyond 2 weeks

will take the cateye from my old bike and install on my specialized bike. the cateye is 4 yrs old and is flawlwss

Jan Ruta   Weekend Warrior [Oct 13, 2010]
Strength:

easily to install and use

computer doesn't lock into the holder

I had this computer for 3 weeks and then it fell off my bike and I lost it. Terrible design. I was hoping to just get a replacement computer but they aren't sold separately. I can't believe Specialized would sell a product of this nature. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone! There a many bicycle computers out there, DON'T BUY THIS ONE!!!!