Specialized 98-01Speedzone Team Computer

98-01Speedzone Team

Specialized Wireless Speedzone

Scott   Cross Country Rider [Dec 29, 2003]
Strength:

Nice looking plastic, wireless seems like a great idea on a suspension fork; if only it would keep track of things like distance and speed. It was cheap (now I know why).

It doesn't work. When I first bought this it took approx 2 hours to find a combination of precise location on the fork for the sensor and location on the handlebar for the receiver. Very shaky. Hadn't ridden that bike in a while, found computer was not working, so replaced both batteries (transmitter and receiver) with new ones (yes, I checked them on a good battery tester and they are really good batteries) and I cannot find any position where this computer will work. If I hold the receiver in my hand behind the handlebar, it will just have enough range to pick up the sensor with the sensor slid all the way up the fork. During the short time it did work (200 miles) I also really hated the 6 second delay before it starts to read your speed and the 6 second delay after you stop (you stop, and then watch as your speed slowly decreases, even though you know you are at 0 mph).

Specialized is a respectable company - but they really blew it with this computer. They should offer a free trade in program for anyone who got stuck with this one. But, hey, at least they make the best water bottles.

Similar Products Used: Several Cateyes during last 20 years. I have never had a computer I did not like, until this one.
Jeff J.   Weekend Warrior [Jul 20, 1999]
Strength:

Large easy to read display
Backlit display works well
Easy to mount

Doesn't start automatically
Makes buzzing noise with knobbies

It is annoying that you have to wake the @#$#&$%# thing up. Once your riding, it works OK. The large numbers are easy to see and the backlit display is nice for night riding provided you have it adjusted to the correct angle. The sensor makes an annoying buzzing noise when riding knobbies on a hard surface. Three flaming steamers because of the non-automatic auto start and the buzzing noise.

Similar Products Used: Avenir (I miss the auto start that actually works all the time)
christian v.   racer [Sep 23, 1998]

this thing sucks. I am on my third one thanks to specialized and the warranty dept. My nightrider light scrambeled the display constantly.One would not turn off. One the button would not pop back out. one I threw over a cliff. If you see it just leave it.I dont reccomend it for anyone.

Ron   weekend warrior [Sep 24, 1998]

I got this wireless model on sale for $40, and have to say it's great - even at the higher price. Its been through numerous endos and drops, and has never popped out if its bracket once and is still working just fine. The only downside to this unit is that after about 15 minutes, it does automatically go into sleep mode and requires a button press to restart - but this does save battery juice. With the functions this offers and the convience of wireless, large and easy to read display - it's the way to go. Its closest competitor is the Axiom 8.0 wireless at a bit less, but it only displays speed and mileage in .5 increments. I give it 4.5 flamers which rounds to 5, nice product.

Bernard   cross-country rider [Mar 26, 1998]

Best bike computer out there for ease of use, function, durability, and setup. Easy to read output is large enough to see without focusing too long on computer vs. trail - i.e. I'm going 55 MPH but have to keep eyeball on trail. Also trick to have wireless setup. Only missing feature is option to program two different wheel sizes to share between MTB and road rigs. My unit wigged out at month 18, but was replaced for free no questions.

david buhler   Cross Country Rider [Dec 23, 2000]
Strength:

It came in a nice can.

I should get to review this product twice. My first Specialized wireless computer read out everything accurately, but the speed. So I returned it and my new computer worked great; if I held it less than three inches from the sensor. What trash! I finally returned the second wireless computer and bought a Specialized comp, with a wire, which has proven itself functional.

Until 'wireless' computers advance beyond the "hey Buck, whadda ya think, kin we make it wirk" stage," spare yourself the agony.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Team (same color, different problem).
Lewis Clarke   Weekend Warrior [Jan 12, 2000]
Strength:

Wireless, looks good, backlight, has most functions you want

It doesn't work for very long, then it just doesn't work!

I had one of these for Christmas '98. The head unit battery lasted about two weeks - I replaced it twice, then took back to the shop. The next one lasted 9 months when it suddenly stopped working on a trail in Durango. The range has dropped so much you have to tape it to the forks near the transmitter for it to work. Changing batteries doesn't help. I'm going to buy a Sigma or Cateye now and NOT BUYING ANOTHER SPECIALIZED AGAIN!

Similar Products Used: I've had the same Sigma 900 on my road bike for years.
TonyP   Cross Country Rider [Jun 05, 2001]
Strength:

Wireless, Works well pretty much all the times,

Not sure if it's worth it to pay this much for a computer.

It works really well.
Only once at the end of a downhill, the recorded max speed was 96 km/h! I was going rather fast but nowhere near this speed... I guess this misreading can be attributable to the wireless stuff being beaten up but I'm not sure.
Overall, I like the product mainly because you don't have to fight to place a ?%$%*& wire around a fork leg.

Similar Products Used: Cateye
Paul Bentley   Cross Country Rider [Apr 27, 2001]
Strength:

What more do you want from a computer? Its totally reliable, the side action button is so easy to 'scroll' throught when on the move (no need to take your hand off the bar), and it looks unique and 'trick'. Nice clear big display.

None that I have found ... can't see much point of the light function (though it does look nice in pitch black, if thats the riding you do).

GREAT computer!

Similar Products Used: Several - Cateye etc.
HOE-C   Cross Country Rider [Nov 23, 2000]
Strength:

Very nice design
A lot of default wheel size which help you to set up
convenient right key position to easily change the function

Slow to update the speed

Although I read some bad reviews, this computer is working fine. I've used it for 4 month having three big crash with the bike that landed some meter far from me. Nothing happened even though it unhooked from its bracket on the handlebar.

I have the team 2000 model. I like very much its design. The screen can provide you with a lot of information at the same time. Analogic clock is permanently displayed, as well as actual speed. In the bottom line of display you can select whatever you want. I dispaly actual distance. A small (maybe too small for someone) but for me sufficiently visible an arrow shows you if you are up or under the average speed.

Set up this computer is very simple. If your wheel size is included in the factory stored list in the computer just select yours and ride.If not you have to measure the circumference and tipe the lenght.

This computer is very ergonomic. If you fix its bracket close to the right grip you can change all the functions pushing only the right key with your thumb keeping the hand on the handlebar.A green Backlight is also provide pushing the big key at the top of the unit. The all three keys are big enough to be used with gloves as well.

For now nothing to say about weakness exept that when speed change fast (when I break for example)the computer takes too long to update the speed. When I completly stop the bike it displays for few seconds 1 or 2 km/h before to up date the speed to 0.Not a great problem. I compered speed and distance with my friends' computers and it gave me the same results.

Price should be low but if this computer continues to work as it did it will worth the money.
Four chilis are only for the price.