Sigma Sport Sport BC 500 Computer

Sigma Sport BC 500

[Sep 22, 1998]
brook
racer

Don't let the title bicycle computer put you off. after hearing of these little gems, and seeing a motorcycle installation, I installed one on my twincam corolla. after a little fiddling, and with the help of a friends GPS unit, i've got the accuracy down to 0.002%! better than some professional rally cars!
minus 18 metres out over 100km. i can live with that. it soon showed me how out car speedometers can be, especially at weekend levels. i do not condone speeding, but a product this accurate is a must in an ever vigilant world.
well done sigma sport. please email for any help on car installs.

[Mar 23, 1998]
Dave H.
cross-country rider

I really like the BC 500. I know I don't need any more functions, and it is still working after a year of use (which doesn't sound like a lot, but I have seen a good number of other computers by other companies that decide their lifespan ends within a year's time).
It must be pretty good at water repellency, I've watched the whole bike float downstream without me a couple of times.I would definatley buy a Sigma again, and it would probably be the BC 500.An interesting note: I witnessed a guy fabricating a special little metal mount for the sensor to put the computer on his 1998 Honda SuperHawk. He said he heard about Sigma's accuracy and needed a speedo that would read correctly after he messed with his sprockets. It actually worked (he did a 140 MPH run on the highway) though I am not sure the wheel diameter difference didn't throw off the computer's calculations.

[Jul 17, 2000]
Andrew

Strength:

This Cyclometer has worked flawlessly through thunderstorms and big crashes. None of the functions have ever stopped working and the display is very easy to use with two big buttons around the top and bottom you don't need to fumple for those little circles.

This is a great working computer that can take tough conditions but is still simple to operate with big buttons and a big display. A great value in a cyclometer.

[Apr 24, 2000]
Daniel

Strength:

Very good quality and waterproof. Good computer for the money.

I don't like the cord. I feel that it's in the way.
But i have seen that Sigma Sport has a cordless cradle for it.

German quality(which is good) and alot of computer for the money. I used this computer in a blizzard here in Sweden and there was no problem.

[Mar 20, 1999]
Eric

this is a great computer for the money. i've had it for 1 year, and i've racked up the miles. i've never had any problems with water, although i don't ride in driving rain. its very accurate, and it has all the features an average biker will need. thats why i give it 4 chilis

[Jun 11, 1998]
Bebe
weekend warrior

I have Sigma 600. This is my second one after I returned it due to water getting in the computer. They claim it is water resistant but I have yet to believe it. The second one I have has water inside the diplay after a rainy ride today. It's kinda of neat having a miniature aquarium on my handlebars, not. I don't recommend this if you ride in wet conditions. It is fairly accurate though.

[Jan 10, 1998]
Walker
weekend warrior

After reading the fairly poor reviews of cyclecomputers and noting my favorite wasn't included, I felt
compelled to write this. The BC500 is a wonderful basic cyclecomputer which I highly reccomend.
It displays speed/distance, elapsed time, cumulative distance and a 24 hr. clock. After four months
of use, I have had no problems. The instructions were a bit strange though and found
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer_calibration.html clarified the process.

[Dec 26, 2006]
Marcus

Strength:

Very good once it went throught the wash in my pants after i had been riding and it went throught the wash. So it can definately withstand water. i eneded up figured out were i left it and toke it out.

Maybe wires could be thicker and a bit shorter (maybe)

The best cheap bike computer for money

[Feb 26, 2005]
Sean Murray

Strength:

Durable, strong, looks good, easy to read, has taken the brunt of a few crashes and still working.

Instruction manual, example, not enough detail as to where the magnet is exactly supposed to go on the spoke of your front rim...Took forever to setup.

This is a good product with added no frills, I am very happy with this little cyclo-puter, does the job. Nuff said. You won't be sorry. Happy trails.

[Aug 26, 2000]
Willem

Strength:

Easy to read display, nice big buttons

kind of hard to install, could use a better/stronger wire

I bought this comp in Holland about 4 years ago and I forget how much I paid for it but I'm really pleased with it's performance. The display is real easy to read and it's easy to program. The instalation is a little difficult with all those rubber bands but once it's on it'll never come off!! I've had some trouble with the wires falling out right where they attach to the computer mount. But I managed to fix that myself with a little patience and a soldering iron! Overall a good computer with all the functions that i nead but could use stronger wires...