Sigma Sport BC 800 new version Computer

• Maximum speed
  • Average speed
  • Comparison current / average speed
  • 2 wheel sizes programmable
  • Easy and fast tool-free mounting system
  • Completely watertight

• User Reviews (12)

ben   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2003]
    Strength:

good functions

quit working after a year of use for no apparent reason

I liked it when it was working, but it should have lasted much longer. Maybe thats why you can now pick one up for about twelve bucks.

Similar Products Used: first computer
    Graeme   Weekend Warrior [Jan 13, 2004]
    Strength:

Ease of use, Large Display, Inexpensive, Large buttons make for easy scrolling through the multiple display options.

Horrible Instructions, Unit can pop off if not properly seated in base.

For my weekend warrior use, the BC800 was a great purchase, especially for a first cyclocomputer. Other than the horrible setup instructions, I haven't had a single problem with this computer. It is unfortunate some have had battery problems... mine has lasted close to a year on the original battery.

The mileage and speed seems fairly accurate and although the rubber bands gave me pause as I cracked open the box, they have lasted and show no indications of cracking or giving up. They hold the individual pieces snugly to the fork and the handlebar.

Glunt Bramling   Cross Country Rider [Dec 31, 2003]
    Strength:

Seems to have easy-to-read, useful features. But only if it could actually be mounted on a bike. It's inexpensive and light, too.

Mounting: doesn't.
    Sensitivity: none.

Seriously: How can this product possibly be mounted on a mountain bike?

The sensor must be within 5mm of the spoke magnet. The spoke magnet can rotate away from the sensor when mounted correctly and prevent the device from working. Ignoring that, mounting the sensor as indicated on the fork puts it a few inches from the spoke magnet, which doesn't work.

Okay, so if I build a platform for the sensor to ride on that places it close enough to the spoke magnet, there's no way to take the wheel off because the sensor sticks out so far. And the Hayes disc brake prevents the wheel from tipping out of the way, even if there were enough clearance between the fork stanchion and the sensor.

I've tried more powerful magnets to increase the working distance from sensor to spoke magnet, but (inverse square law? inverse cube?) short of a one-pound magnet rotating on the rim, there's no way of mounting the sensor out of the way of the tire.

The can't imagine anyone usefully mounting this device on any current, fairly wide MtB fork. If you build a platform upon which the sensor can ride, you commit to never removing the front wheel.

Sensor-to-magnet distance may be an issue on all bike computers. Maybe all Fox Vanilla 125r with disc brakes have this problem in mounting speedometers. I'll give 3 flamin' chilis because if it mounted usefully, it'd be a useful bike computer. Of course this is like saying the rock of Gibraltar would be a good boat if only it floated...

Similar Products Used: none, first on my bike.
    Bradley Parsons   Cross Country Rider [Jan 11, 2006]
    Strength:

Sigma Sport has the best customer service around. I lost a head unit on a ride and they made the replacement very easy even though it was an older unit that I needed. Wireless harness is easy to use and can be purchased seperately. I currently use the same head unit on three different bikes.
    The price is also very reasonable.

None so far. Even the battery life is astounding.

I've always liked my Sigma Sport computer, but the customer service was just so over the top fantastic that I give this 5 chilis!!

Similar Products Used: Cateye, Vetta
    Johnny Chan   [Jan 18, 2003]
    Strength:

It is quite cheap and can be install easily(just 20 mins).
    Three buttons can contol all the function and A large display to let you read the information clearly.
    It shows the average speed while BC400 can't.

The rubber bands (which come together in the box) aren't big and wide enough to surround the front fork and the sensor unit.

i never use speed sensor before. BC800 is my first try. Fortunately, it does give me a good experience. Though this unit is wired, i didn't mind at all, since i am not a pro-rider, i just want to have more fun when i am in the cockpit.

For the installation, i give up the rubber bands and use thick double side tape to stick the sensor on the fork. Then i use 2 pieces of nylon tie wraps to ensure the sensor won't move around. It is quite easy to install if you aren't stubborn enough to use the rubber bands. For the display unit, i just stick the mount with 2 layer of thick double-side tape. It looks firm enoguh cos the display unit is so light.

I think 20 bulks isn't a lot for such kind of speed sensor. it gives ueful information during riding. peoples who are looking for a cheap and reliable speed sensor set, BC800 is your choice.

David Fisch   Cross Country Rider [Sep 30, 2003]
    Strength:

Easy to set up.

Battery Life, Mounting, Tough to get a signal

I would not recommend this product. I finally packed it up after dealing with an average 1 month battery life. Too expensive to maintain.

Couple this with fickle readings...almost have to have the sensor touch the magnet to get a reading.

I have worked around the mounting problems by using zip ties instead of the stock rubber bands.

Similar Products Used: Older Sigma Products
    Michael   Cross Country Rider [Oct 28, 2004]
    Strength:

Everything you need in a basic package. The computer has functioned flawlessly for over a year now, and I purchased one last week for my wife. The readouts are extremely legible. Mounting is simple and the mounting method (rubber O-rings, NOT rubber bands!) works great. The computer's buttons work very well and are also easily accessed while wearing full-fingered gloves. Water seems to have zero affect as mine has survived trips in the rain on the roof rack and numerous stream crossings in DuPont SF.

None.

If you want a basic computer that works with minimal efforts, this is it. If you want wireless, buy the wireless base. No brainer. This simple computer shows and computes everything the average JoBlo needs to know.

Similar Products Used: Avocet 15, 30, etc. Various Cateyes.
    Kristina P   Cross Country Rider [May 24, 2004]
    Strength:

Easy to read numbers, easy to mount

It would be nice if it had an average speed calculator. But then again, the lack of one gives me a chance to use my 4th grade math skills ;)

My husband gave this to me for Christmas '02 and it worked great for about 10 rides and then quit all of a sudden. We changed the batteries and it still wouldn't work. I finally contacted Sigma back in March and they came through like a champ. I sent it in and they repaired it free of charge (weak signal in the transmitter) and its been working great since. I shouldn't have waited so long to get it fixed.

I've used this computer on a Mantitou Black fork w/Hayes brakes, Fox Vanilla 125r with Hayes and now Avid Juicys and haven't had any problems at all with setup and fitting. I'm not sure why there's a problem with the user below with his Vanilla and Hayes.

If it hadn't been for the initial "burp" in its use, I would give a 5 but I'll give a 4 b/c their customer service was excellent.

Rik Dawson   Cross Country Rider [May 13, 2002]
    Strength:

Features, ease of use and large display.

Needs line of sight between transmitter and receiver and is a bulky unit.

Paying top price for a top end computer, I got top end troubles. Huge mounting brackets don't fit on handlebars carrying cateye lights, LX brake and STX gear levers. The transmitter needs a clear line of sight with the sender on the fork, I wonder why Sigma puts the receiver behind the handle bar when the transmitter is obviously infront on the fork. Also being wireless, interference is picked up from the lights giving me a top speed of 258mph. I'm not that fast. I'm now using a £12 wired unit with no problems and as many functions. Ultimately it was frought with problems and was meant to be the best. There are far cheaper products with as many functions.