Sigma Sport BC 2006 MHR Computer

BC 2006 MHR

The digitally coded BC 2006 MHR combines the classic features of a wireless bike computer with the most important altitude, heart rate and temperature functions. With the easy to operate 4-button navigation.

BerndK   Weekend Warrior [Nov 03, 2011]
Strength:

- big display
- a lot of features incl. heart rate
- cool looks
- easy to mount on bar and fork
- quick replacement by Sigma

- frequent connection loss
- faulty heartrate display
- also from time to time - after stopping for a few minutes, it doesn't realize when you move again (you have to clip it out and back in)
- finally drowned in a rain shower, losing complete functionality on one button

Sigma was quick and friendly replacing the unit (one chili extra for this), but the replacement had all the same problems, except the heart rate bug was fixed. After one year of use, I wanted to dump it for its unreliability - but my girlfriend "saved" it due to its "cool looks", rode it on her bike for another two years with frequent connection losses and not counting after short stops. Bought it as it won many tests in German bike magazines...

Similar Products Used: Sigma BC1606, BC800
Wendell Lynch   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2011]
Strength:

Multi-Function Display
Price
Functionality

Very difficult to program
Occasional freeze screen

Have used this product for 6 months. Initially it was very difficult to program. Instructions are not very clear. Altimeter appears to be quite accurate. On several occasions the unit just stopped receiving and recording data; only zeros on the screen. After a while it would began to function normal again. It has worked without a problem for the past month. I like the broad range of functions in the BC 2006 MHR DTS, a good value for the price. I paid about $90 for the unit. I would rate at 3.5.

Krx   Weekend Warrior [Jan 15, 2011]
Strength:

A lot of functions. I've also liked heart rate and temperature.

Frequent connection loss.
Extremely bad (flimsy) mounting system. It jumped off from it 10ish times, until I've finally lost it somewhere in forest.
Not intuitive to cycle trough many functions. Pain to reset all for next ride.

I'll probably never buy more expensive Sigma Sport products again.

Similar Products Used: Other Sigma Sport Bike Computers
Piotr   Cross Country Rider [Apr 09, 2010]
Strength:

A lot of functions

Loses signal, poor design, tragic usability, poor quality

Many functions: useless, to difficult to switch between them. Heart rate monitor: useless, no traning zones.
Other functions also problematical, loses signal far to often. The buttons difficult to push, no feedback if you pushed it or not, while pushing, the whole device is displacing because the mounting bracket is so flexible.

After having all other problems described above, I have just opened the heart rate transmitter to replace the battery (yestarday it stoped working). To my surprise the battery compartment was full of liquid and the seal was not properly installed, BY THE FACTORY !!! I promised myself: never Sigma and never DTS again. This is the way how manufactures loses their customers.

SpamCone   Weekend Warrior [Jun 06, 2009]
Strength:

Big display and heart rate monitor

Mounting to the mountain bike with suspension forks a challenge. I gave up on trying to find right o-ring and went to aluminum wire for picture hanging. Distance for reception of monitor a challenge too!

Road bike this is made for you!!! Mountain bikers I would go somewhere else. My cateye had a small display and was looking for something else and this was on sale. Since I have started Mountain biking going for the cheap deal has never paid off and this is another example. I think saving the cash and getting a garmin 205 or 305 is the way to go.

Similar Products Used: CatEye micro wireless
jajabinks   Racer [Nov 12, 2008]
Strength:

Well made, good range of data, helpful in training

Does not like LEDs, manual could be better

With the exception of night riding, I've found it to work very well and accurrately.
The speed display does drop to 0 occassionally, but it keeps recording overall speed/distance, so no info is lost.
I have a quad LED helmut mounted light, and the interference turns it into a clock, which is unfortunate, as I'm quite happy with it otherwise.

Similar Products Used: None
skyhook   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2008]
Strength:

Plenty of features that are potentially very useful. Heart rate monitor seems very reliable and accurate.

Wireless reception from wheel sensors is marginal, at best, and can come and go during a ride. This makes the cycle computer essentially useless at the most basic level, not to mention, frustrating!!!

After trying for 5 months to get this to work reliably, I've finally had enough. This is a great computer... but only when it actually works. Unfortunately, it often doesn't. I ride a lot, so missing out on all of this data has been extremely frustrating. Of course, nothing is logged if it doesn't think the wheel is moving. I'm going to try something else, now.

At least the customer service at Sigma was good. Very responsive and helpful.

But, this product just didn't work very well, at least for me. The problems all stem from the wireless connection between the transmitter and receiver. I've tried this on two different bikes with two different wheel sensors with two different computers, and followed the mounting instructions exactly, with fresh batteries in everything more than once. And, yes, the wheel magnet was plenty close to the sensor, and verified as working (flashing LED, audible click of switch).

If it was simply wired to the wheel sensor, I'm sure it would be perfect. The wireless heart rate monitor and everything else has been flawless.

Out of the box, before mounting, I noticed the sensor had to be held within about 2 feet for the computer to start registering. I should have given up there.

The RMA replacement was at least as bad, probably worse.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to getting some good use out of this product. Hopefully, they'll fix this in their next design. Also, o-rings are eventually going to crack and fail, which are a bad idea for securing anything on a bike. The zip-tie alternative, which is an add-on that can be purchased seperately, still has a radius too small for a mountain bike fork, and a clip that comes too close to the wheel magnet on a road bike fork. Hopefully, they'll improve this, too.

Oh well...

Similar Products Used: Cateye (wireless, and never a problem)
Bill   Weekend Warrior [May 20, 2008]
Strength:

Well made (German), accurate, large, easy to read display, good feature/price ratio

Attachment system is terrible, no heart rate zone info

This is my second German-made computer (the other was a Ciclo). Both units are well made and have much-appreciated altitude and temperature features. The BC2006 MHR has an excellent display, especially for cyclists who must use prescription lenses (LARGE characters on display). Typical, poorly written instruction manual omits much in the way of explanation of the feature set. My biggest gripe has to do with mounting the computer and transmitter, both of which rely on o-rings. The Ciclo also used this system - don't the Germans know about zip-ties??? The BC2006 package shipped with an adapter for the transmitter that allows for attaching with two zip-ties, but the adapter (as described in a previous review) has a lip that extends into the spokes of the front wheel, making it virtually useless. It does not work on either of my two bikes/forks/wheel sets. Did these guys actually do any trials with this adapter before shipping it to dealers? Apparently not - it is AWFUL. If you feel confident about relying on a large rubber band for securing your $100 computer to your bike, good for you. I do not. It's a no-brainer as to whether an o-ring (not very durable and you lose your computer or transmitter if one breaks) versus the simple 2 zip-tie system everyone else in the world uses (more durable and if one breaks you keep your investment) is more reliable. I would have given this computer another star and a half if it wasn't for this design stupidity. It would have also been an easy addition to the feature set to include heart rate zone information, even if it meant losing a couple of other outputs (like time up/down and distance up/down). I am going to attempt using wire or other material to reinforce the o-rings, unless someone has figured out a better way of attaching the components to the frame. Finally, I've heard battery life is really bad, but I don't have enough ride time to comment on this.

Similar Products Used: Garmin Edge 305, a variety of other bicycle computers including Ciclo Sport, Cateye, etc.
Willem Boom   Racer [May 20, 2008]
Strength:

Awesome display, good features

Mounting is a challenge to say the least. The fork mounted cadence (signal) unit was a real pain to mount. Sigma provides multiple sizes of rubber rings to mount on different forks. None of which worked with my Fox Fork. Therefore I ended up modifying the unit to work with ZIP Ties. This worked well in the end. The challenge is that I could have bought the Cateye V3 and not experienced any issues. The ZIP Ties are far tighter than the rubber band set-up.

I also had to replace the battery after one month of use. NOT GOOD! After all of this it works.

Mixed. Great product. Lousy manual. Rubber bands are a challenge. I would look at the Cateye V3 or the Nite Rider Rebel 8.

Similar Products Used: Cateye, Polar, Garmin, etc...
Deni   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2007]
Strength:

Big display, illumination, altitude meter is preety accurate, easy install

Bad manual

At first I hated it because i've installed it wrong (lot's of signal loss), so reading the manual helped, now when the reciever is on the left fork leg almost at top, the signal is great and accurate. I surely advise you to buy it, it's a cracker in this price range.