Sigma Sport BC 1606L Computer

Sigma Sport BC 1606L Computer

Sigma BC 1606L Computer is SIGMA’s top model for the most demanding, even at night. The Sigma computer for dedicated cyclists. The "L" in the BC 1606L is for the "smart" back light. The cadence functions (current and average) provide valuable training data for efficient cycling both on the road and in the woods, and can be turned off completely when not in use. The count down timer is perfect for crits, cross, or racing against the clock. Features include pre-settings and total values are retained during battery change, automatic bike recognition with second bike sensor, total values faded while riding to enable better focusing on the necessary functions, on-time battery change reminder, and optimal readability even after nightfal.

[Dec 13, 2008]
dmcq1943

Strength:

No Wires of Time, Dist, etc.

Manual hard to decipher. Unit just quits recording periodically for no reason I have ever been able to figure out. Contacts with Sigma were no help.

I gave this unit one star because there is no option for zero.

I am more than moderately compulsive when it comes to recording time and distance, and the fact that this unit just stops recording periodically makes it pretty much useless for keeping my log. I noticed another review that seemed to describe the same problem, but in my case removing the unit from the mount did not help. I had to actually "RESET ALL" in order to get it started again. The unit also went into sleep mode at long stop lights and would not wake up without doing the "RESET ALL" step.

I gave the unit away to a guy who just wanted the speed function. If it quits on him, he can "RESET ALL" on the fly and just keep going.

Sigma was no help at all. They suggested moving the unit away from the front strobe I always use, double checking the distances between the magnet and the sensor and also between the sensor/sender and the receiver. I changed positions. I changed batteries. I did everything Sigma suggested and everything I could think of.

I went back to my wired unit of the same model and have had not trouble at all. Ever.

I would not recomment the wireless unit to anyone.

Wired 1606 L and Shimano FlightDeck

[Jun 29, 2008]
lucyfek

Strength:

comes with 2 mounts (one with cadence), can be rotated to be placed on the stem, easy swap between bikes, plenty of functions, good visibility in daytime, light at night

do we really need all these functions? personally i'd trade one of them for temperate sensor. one has to reset each counter (max speed, average, time ...) one at the time - would be nice to clear all trip counters at once. i don't like the idea to use rubber o-rings to attach mount, sensors (one size does not fit all, you may stretch it but i don't know how long it will last, easily replaceable zip-ties are the way to go). older sigmas used separate sensor mount with detachable sensor (attached to the wire) - much better when the time comes to service the fork 9especially considering the rubber o-rings you don't want to stretch too often , if ever). the cadence wires can interfere when mounted on the stem - attache these before you fix the mount to the stem

decent package for the price but some solutions/ideas are questionable. liked my old bc400 (or maybe bc300) for simplicity (speed, trip, odometer and time is really all i need) but needed a computer for another bike so got this one. it better last.

cateye, sigma, trek

[Jun 02, 2008]
joseph Strong

Strength:

Exteemly well made, and functional

none that i have come across

This is an excellent computer for an avid cyclist. I would recommend it to anyone. The backlight is very handy (I do alot of night rideing). Its easy to use and is easy to program and install.

cateye, schwinn

[Oct 24, 2007]
matt

Strength:

Looks good on paper. The link between the magnet and the computer does work.

The manual is terrible - there's no "quick setup' intsructions, and all the languages are mixed up. In retrospcect, I think having 4 buttons to use it too many.

Im really not impressed. The screen has frozen three times - and each time Ive had to remove the battery to get it working again, which means having to re-enter the wheel size, time etc. It's really annoying. And the magnet attached to the spoke isn't very strong - the plastic casing split after a month, I don't know how that actually happened, but surely it should be stronger. Basically, Im going to dump this model and get something else.

3 or 4 computers over the years

[Jan 26, 2008]
Scott

Strength:

Easy to read display. Cadence (I got the option). Light. Ability to mount on stem (vs. just on handlebar).

Unit loses contact with mount, causing it to stop functioning. Contacts for cadence wire do not work when mounting on oversize stem. Up-arrow and down-arrow (for showing speed above or below average) indicators too small to be seen.

I installed the cadence option, which is one of the reasons I wanted this computer. Back light works great (much of my riding is in the dark). After about six months of use, the unit would not stay in electrical contact with the mount. I have to unmount and re-mount the unit several times before and sometimes during each ride. Unit will also sometimes stop working mid-ride, I then have to unmount and re-mount it. I mounted the unit on my stem and quickly learned that the plug-in contacts for the cadence wires were almost inaccessible. After fiddling with these wires I got them to plug in, but they later broke off the mounting posts due to their proximity to the (oversize) stem. In all, I liked the unit when it worked but I've had too many problems with it.

Several Cateye products, Polar 720i.

[Nov 17, 2007]
Joey

Strength:

nice and absolutely great invention. the display is very bright, compact. nicely done. jump your bike to a river and this thing still works because this is watertight. i went downhilling and wiped out, cracks were on the cover, thought this thing might not work anymore, when i got on my bike again i was surprised there are no malfunctions.

this thing is good. recommended!

i tried cateye products and still i prefer sigma.

[Nov 09, 2007]
gabriel

Strength:

function, futures, design and durability. products from sigma are great. the name i can trust. great technology at its best!

I have this product on my mountain bike and on my road bike. i would recommend it to my friends.

other sigme cylo comps

[Nov 09, 2007]
paul

Strength:

nice style and design. functions and futures are very good. lots of functions. waterproof! relaible product, thats what sigma products are.

none. just for the battery, when it drains you have to change it lol...

i do lots of racing. highly recomended

i use only sigma products