Schwinn Schwinn Computer

Schwinn

Schwinn

wdpayne   Weekend Warrior [Jul 01, 2010]
Strength:

Good price, works well

One didn't work when I bought it, thin sensor leads

Excellent price, works reasonably well. I ride road so I haven't tested the unit off-road. I've got 3 of them - 2 have been in use for 2 years.

Similar Products Used: Equus Ace
dmtt23   Weekend Warrior [Mar 13, 2010]
Strength:

Accurate,easy to read display,like the thermometer. It's nice to know how fast and far you ride and to try to improve your average speed.

The first one I bought never worked at all, right out of the box! I went back and exchanged it for another one and I haven't had any problems to date.

This is a great unit to help you train or just to make the ride more interesting and fun.

onlycrimson   Racer [Jan 28, 2010]
Strength:

This computer is simple and has simple functions, but mine have worked flawlessly for two years. In the snow, in the rain, in the heat and I have not had any issues.

At this price level, none.

Really awesome for the price. They work great and are easy to program. I've even used them on mopeds.

Similar Products Used: Only computer I've used.
Andrew Crook   Weekend Warrior [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

Like the single button. Displays speed and one other function simultaneously. Easy to setup. Reliable -works in rain, cold, sun, heat etc. Removed easily.

Could look a little better

May get a wireless model or something that looks better and perhaps has no buttons. For the money though it's great.

Similar Products Used: Some Halfords product
Aaron   Cross Country Rider [Jun 30, 2003]
Strength:

Simple to use, looks cool (i have the red one)
Has alot of functions compared to other computers in its price range..
The computer has everything you need and it works great.

This is a great computer..
It is cheap(in price) looks good has alot of functions.

I suggest this to any rider looking for a good cheap first bike computer.

if you want more info before you buy check out the schwinn website you can find more info about it there.

Similar Products Used: none
Eric   Cross Country Rider [Apr 04, 2006]
Strength:

Cheap, easy to use.

Poorly built, malfunctioned.

This computer worked ok, but it occasionally malfunctioned on me and the magnet/sensor fell apart quickly.

Similar Products Used: none
Brian Hughes   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2005]
Strength:

Inexpensive, easy to read display.

Battery died shortly after purchasing, so I had to replace it right away. At months mine became totally unreliable. It randomly would reset itself during a ride for no apparent reason--losing all data. I would look down and instead of seeing my readings, it would be flashing the setup screeen. It would happen nearly every ride.

If you had asked me how I liked this computer a month ago, I would have said it was a great $12 purchase and have given it 4 or 5 chilis. However, for whatever reason it just went bonkers on me a few weeks back. Nearly every ride it just resets itself and trashes all ride and odometer data in the process. No real reason that I can figure--it didn't get wet or banged up at all. I tried cleaning it and readusting it with no luck--it's still unreliable and will randomly reset itself during most rides. I'm pretty frustrated with this computer now and will enjoy cutting it off my bike and throwing it in the trash.

Similar Products Used: Vetta, Bell, Catseye. I'm going to try a Sigma next.
Half-Fast Biker   Weekend Warrior [Aug 14, 2006]
Strength:

Really cheap price, functions, flexibility of stem mount design, black and red color matches my bike.

2nd one I bought would reset itself like others have mentioned before, exchanged it for another one and all is well. Must run magnet close to pickup for it to work reliably...switching to a samarium cobalt magnet would probably fix that. LCD display has temporarily turned black when bike is left in the sun on 90 degree days...this is typical for LCDs...take it out of the sun and let it cool off and it goes back to normal.

This is Schwinn SW500T from Walmart, bought in 2005, this is the same basic computer as the Nashbar NA-CA210 computer I had...the display and functions are the same, only the case and mounting system are different. This Schwinn one has heavier insulation on the sensor wire, and a better set of contacts between the back of the computer and it's mount...the Nashbar's mount contacts looked like aluminum and were always oxidizing causing a loss of signal. Have one on my MTB and road bike, and the only problems I've had so far was the 2nd one I bought kept resetting itself, so it was exchanged, and I broke the mount wire where it goes into the stem mount. I accidently grabbed the stem too hard where I had the wire routed, and it ripped the black plastic cover off the bottom of the mount, and ripped one wire loose from it's solder joint. The wires leading into the mount are actually about as thick as what you'd find inside a pair of Walkman-style headphones...pretty thin, but the have thick insulation on them going down to the sensor. Under the plastic rectangular cover the wires are held in place with a dab of hot glue, and are then soldered onto their two pickup points for the computer mount. 5 minutes with a soldering iron, some crazy glue to firm up the hot melt glue and wire leading into the mount, a a re-routing of the cable along the stem to give it more slack have everything back to normal.

As far as everyday funtion goes the only thing bad I'd have to say about it is the sensor DOES need to be close to the magnet, the Nashbar computer was the same way, sometimes I bump the sensor out of place when putting the wheels on top of the bike when it's in the trunk of my car, but it's simple to move it back into place on the fork. I just make it a habit to spin the front wheel before the start of the ride to make sure it's reading OK. It might not be the best computer out there, but at only $9.32 that I paid for it it works well. Defective one that I got will knock it down from a 4 to a 3 rating.

Similar Products Used: Nashbar NA-C210, older Vetta and Schwinn computers.
Scott S   Weekend Warrior [Apr 22, 2003]
Strength:

Great Value, easy to install, 3 displayed functions, easy to program, easy to operate with one button, waterproof, great instructions.

I only saw 2 color choices - silver and red.

This great, inexpensive cycling computer is easy to program and operate. I read all the reviews and decided on the Schwinn unit and I couldn't be happier with it so far. I just don't think wireless is worth the extra expense. Installing this unit was easy to do and having to run a wire up to the unit on the bars is no big deal. I think these clowns that talk about the risk of wire breakage are blowing smoke. I ride about 100 miles a week and the Schwinn unit has been working great for about a month now.

greg   Cross Country Rider [Apr 22, 2006]
Strength:

Price. Many features, looks and has indiglo light

It is a Schwinn product

Absolute garbage. Never worked. I had the sensors almost touching and it never registered. I had to actually put the magnet on the sensor to get a reading. As I tried to slide the sensor down the fork the wire snapped. I woulD like to congradulate Schwinn for driving their company into the ground. They sacrifice qualty for mass produing useless junk. I should have known better than to buy anything from this sell out company. No one should waste thier money on anything from them.