NiteRider Rebel 8.0 Computer

• Average Speed
  • Auto Start
  • Actual to Average Speed Comparison

dave   Racer [Jul 27, 2011]
Strength:

Great way to add useless weight for training. None of the functions work. So, it's like using heavy training wheels. But hey, at least Niterider got one thing right, the temperature function worked!

Biggest piece of garbage I have ever bought.(DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT)
CONS:
Everything. The HR monitor cuts in and out (usually OUT). The speed sensor worked only right when I took it out of the box. The power function is straight B.S. Jumps from 300 to 20 with no change in output or slope. You have to re-sync all the functions (HR, Speed, and cadence) EVERYTIME it goes blank. Which is about every 20 seconds. It gets locked in sleep mode.

OVERALL:
It would be a better use of $70 to pay your friend to kick you in the groin. Alot less hassle and misery.

BrettStuart   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2010]
Strength:

Really impressive range of functions

The interface, cryptic, the quirks, the disapointments of trip data lost

I bought this product on the huge feature set, great value, and the fact the bike shop assistant said the Manager used one. I'm an electrical engineer, so I'm not shy to technology, but with the user interface, this is one tricky product to remember how to use. I resorted to carrying the pdf manual on the iPhone. Most annoying feature is how soon it goes to sleep. Tyre change ? - gone to sleep, Coffee Stop ? - gone to sleep, waiting for friends to arrive at the meeting place - gone to sleep. When friends talk of ride diary with odo travelled to date, I just grimace and think getting the full distance recorded with this is a 50/50 proposition on any ride. This puts it in the category of "what were they thinking" when they designed this thing. Getting it out of sleep is a hit and miss process. Sometimes it would just ignore all button presses. I went back to the bike shop to ask for tips, was told the Manager had abandoned hers to another. Anyway I just love the Altimeter, so I persisted but eventually moved on. Bought a VDO Z1. It just works. Love it.

Similar Products Used: VDO Z1
vickil@adam.com.au   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2010]
Strength:

Loads of functions. Large clear display makes it easy to read and use. Not too big to look out of place on the bike.

Locks in sleep mode all the time. When this happens, you have to factory reset it. You loose all your data. It is very frustrating. I have contacted NiteRider and requested info on how to rectify the problem, they take around 70hrs to reply and the advice given was useless.

I would not recommend this product to others. The after sales service from NiteRider is poor.

Similar Products Used: Mavic and Cateye.
silvereagle   Weekend Warrior [Aug 09, 2009]
Strength:

beautiful large display with several modes of viewing

stop for a 5 minute rest? It's impossible to get it out of sleep mode and the mileage freezes at that point for the ride. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING.

Don't buy this unless you're in to overpaying by 3 or 4 times for a product that stops working mid-ride.

Oldbike   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2009]
Strength:

Locks in loops during setup. Will not pair with speedo,hrm or cadence. Will not turn on or enters sleep mode. Successfully worked twice in a year. Absolute garbage.

Do not buy. Get anything else and it would be better.

Similar Products Used: Cateye V3.
weekend hack   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2009]
Strength:

light and gives all the infomation you would need.

keeps freezing, hard to read

this is a great unit when it is working properly, give all the information I need to keep fit; but when not working it is a nitemare, the unit will freeze in sleep mode and will have to reset the unit(this meens half an hour of setup), speed sensor or hart rate monitor drop out meening have to spend 10 mins trying to get it back, the magnet for the speed sensor is rubbish, by a sigma one mutch better. The first unit I had the lcd screen broke first ride, also I can't get a speed sensor to pear in for bike 2, this is all well and good if you only have 1 bike but I have 2, I have to swop over sensors to my other bike(I just want to ride it). I have got it working properly on bike 1 in the settings after 6 months of heart ake, I was disapointed with this unit, it cost a lot of money, I should have got a heart rate watch and a cheep computer with wires.

jimbent   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2009]
Strength:

Lightweight, Easy to read Speedo

Hard to read Power, Temperature, Odometer, altitude while riding. Complicated setup routine/reset. When I stop for coffee it goes to "time out" and won't return.

For the price - I'm disappointed. If you have 40/20 vision the power meter is adequate - as would be all of the other secondary functions. (I have a Cateye on my recumbent that shows secondary functions in BOLD with the tap of a button)